SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,569 Posts
Its not that hard. I wear crappy clothes when I paint or do engine work, and slightly better duds when I know I won't be getting dirty. Thats all there is to it!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:42 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
M M Glider Tech
12 hours ago
MM Glider Tech Celebrates 20 Years!

Downey, CA - June 1, 2012

MM Glider Tech, one of the classic “old school” wood model glider kit manufacturers, triumphantly celebrates its 20th year in business this month. The Downey based small family business, founded by designer and contest pilot Merrill Brady, carries on the time-honored tradition of quality balsa wood built-up airplane kits to the delight of aircraft modelers around the world.
The torch had been passed to Merrill by legendary golden age model champions like the great Sal Taibi, who taught him wood selection and the art of die-cutting balsa kits. For most of MM Glider Tech's 20 years, they have used a 1910 vintage printing press, and hand-made the intricate razor-ribbon stamping dies needed to produce his model kits.
In contrast to the historic die cutting press and Merrill’s old-time mentors, MM Glider Tech was equally noted for innovative and modern contest-winning gliders… designs that showed up routinely in the winner’s circle of local and national contests. When modern competition categories were created for devotees of traditional wooden gliders, MM Glider Tech responded with new designs that combined the aerodynamic science and precise handling needed to win today’s competitions, with the nostalgic construction techniques and traditional materials of yesterday. Old-school glider enthusiasts enjoyed bringing back a better time in modeling, and MM Glider Tech helped them bring home the trophies too.
Several years ago, family responsibilities and “day job in Aero Space” pressure brought Merrill Brady to the point of sadly ending MM Glider Tech. It had been a good run, but perhaps it was now time to move on… except all those loyal customers weren’t going to let that happen. Orders for the Marauder nostalgia class glider kept coming in, and steady demand kept the doors open. The new Oculus “RES” class competition sailplane, introduced in early 2012, was welcomed enthusiastically by contest flyers. Merrill Brady got the message loud and clear; customers will embrace his classic designs and old fashioned quality.
On the occasion of its 20th anniversary, MM Glider Tech wishes to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all of its loyal customers for their undying support, and for keeping traditional built-up gliders alive and well. With thanks to all of MM Glider Tech’s worldwide family of builders, the company looks forward to keeping classic models alive for the next 20 years and beyond.

Written By Bill Berle
Photo: MM Glider Tech Celebrates 20 Years! Downey, CA - June 1, 2012 MM Glider Tech, one of the classic “old school” wood model glider kit manufacturers, triumphantly celebrates its 20th year in business this month. The Downey based small family business, founded by designer and contest pilot Merrill Brady, carries on the time-honored tradition of quality balsa wood built-up airplane kits to the delight of aircraft modelers around the world. The torch had been passed to Merrill by legendary golden age model champions like the great Sal Taibi, who taught him wood selection and the art of die-cutting balsa kits. For most of MM Glider Tech's 20 years, they have used a 1910 vintage printing press, and hand-made the intricate razor-ribbon stamping dies needed to produce his model kits. In contrast to the historic die cutting press and Merrill’s old-time mentors, MM Glider Tech was equally noted for innovative and modern contest-winning gliders… designs that showed up routinely in the winner’s circle of local and national contests. When modern competition categories were created for devotees of traditional wooden gliders, MM Glider Tech responded with new designs that combined the aerodynamic science and precise handling needed to win today’s competitions, with the nostalgic construction techniques and traditional materials of yesterday. Old-school glider enthusiasts enjoyed bringing back a better time in modeling, and MM Glider Tech helped them bring home the trophies too. Several years ago, family responsibilities and “day job in Aero Space” pressure brought Merrill Brady to the point of sadly ending MM Glider Tech. It had been a good run, but perhaps it was now time to move on… except all those loyal customers weren’t going to let that happen. Orders for the Marauder nostalgia class glider kept coming in, and steady demand kept the doors open. The new Oculus “RES” class competition sailplane, introduced in early 2012, was welcomed enthusiastically by contest flyers. Merrill Brady got the message loud and clear; customers will embrace his classic designs and old fashioned quality. On the occasion of its 20th anniversary, MM Glider Tech wishes to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all of its loyal customers for their undying support, and for keeping traditional built-up gliders alive and well. With thanks to all of MM Glider Tech’s worldwide family of builders, the company looks forward to keeping classic models alive for the next 20 years and beyond. Written By Bill Berle
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Clarence -
Very cool to read this.....thanks for posting a little history! And I'm sure glad Merill IS in business!
Tim
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,823 Posts
I flew my Oculus at a local field today, totally awesome, the field was very active and I had no problem specking out at will... forgot sunscreen, face burnt.... That proves it!

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:25 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,604 Posts
The concreteman in the air! Photo's taken of the Oculus from the Mfg's shop. Now how cool is that?

Merrill
Mr B.... is online now Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,823 Posts
I was hoping you would see that....
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
That was cruel
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,604 Posts
Concreteman just stopped by to pick up a skeg for his Oculus. His planning on flying the Man on Man Sc2 contest at the SULA field this week end with it.

Go get um killer!

Merrill
Mr B.... is online now Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,823 Posts
Skeg loaded, ready for action. Will report. Was a treat watching Mr. B put two fuselage halves together, he is quite the craftsman.

WD
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,823 Posts
how a bout a little victory applause for the Oculus! I just finished the 2 day MOM event at my local field. I placed 1st on saturday, with the Oculus. I may not have won the overall (today, a midair knocked off the rudder cable and I had to limp in), but I am glad to have been king for a day.... Thanks to Merrill, the plane is running fine.

WD
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,569 Posts
Nice job, WD!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
I am glad to have been king for a day....
WD
Warren
I am proud to bow at the feet of the King for a day. May You and your Oculus visit that lofty throne many more times.

Clarence
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Way to go WD!!
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,823 Posts
Thanks guys. I didnt mention the midair to Merrill. the other guy came out far worse....Oculus-shes tough in the ring, too!

WD
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B.... View Post

Go get um killer!

Merrill
I was just coming back into the sport when Merrill was contemplating shuttering the doors. I'm SOOOOO glad he didn't!

Merrill, I wish you many more happy years and can't wait to get an Oculus.

Warmest Regards,

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)