Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:14 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Build Log
Oculus RES Build

Hi everyone

A few days ago I received My next new plane The Oculcs from MM Glider Tech.

The quality of this kit is outstanding and the amount of pre-done work is astounding, this kit has pre-wrapped spars and a set of laser cut ribs.

It also has one sweet looking fuselage that is 2.4 friendly and it even has the push rods installed.

I am building this plane on an extremely tight schedule as for I am a truck driver and I work 70 hours a week and building time is very short for me and I am planning to fly this bird at Visalia Fall fest.

I will take what pictures that I can and I will answer questions as fast as I can.

If you would like to see the plane Merrill Brady has a blog here on the group and if you want to get one you need to contact Merrill, here is some links for everyone.

Merrill's blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398047

Here's a link to his web site http://www.mmglidertech.com/index.php

And MM Glider Tech is also on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/M-M-Gl...78444678859168

Talk to everyone soon.
Clarence Ashcraft
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Here is a quick picture of the full flying stab, almost built.

Clarence
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
[QUOTE=onethermal;19126547]Hi everyone

A few days ago I received My next new plane The Oculcs from MM Glider Tech.

The quality of this kit is outstanding and the amount of pre-done work is astounding, this kit has pre-wrapped spars and a set of laser cut ribs.

It also has one sweet looking fuselage that is 2.4 friendly and it even has the push rods installed.

I am building this plane on an extremely tight schedule as for I am a truck driver and I work 70 hours a week and building time is very short for me and I am planning to fly this bird at Visalia Fall fest.

I will take what pictures that I can and I will answer questions as fast as I can.

Your going to love it.

I was fortunate to be at the Bent Wing Contest in Visalia and watched Merrill fly it as well as hold it and talk to Merrill about it. It's really a beautifull plane.

I definately have to have one........Maybe I can talk Santa into letting me order one I'm looking at a 3M woody to build for the winter,but maybe I'll just hold off and save my money and order a Oculus.

Looking forward to your build. Take lots of pictures. I'll be looking for it at the Visalia Fall Fest.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
I am subscribed! Picking my kit up at the Fall Fest! I even ordered an extra fuse to make an ALES fuse for it Thanks C for the thread! Keep the pics coming

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,702 Posts
Just took a look at the MM website, but I don't see the Oculus... is it being offered to the public yet, and if so, what's the price point?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:34 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I think you have to contact Merrill and get on the waiting list. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he was saying there was something like 20-25 people on the waiting list at this point. Not sure about the price, Clarence should be able to answer that. Can't wait to hear the flight reports. I'm hoping I get the parts to fix up my Marauder so I can still go to Visalia and hoping Clarence has his done and flying there so I can finally check one of them out.
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:56 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Hi Everyone

I will let Merrill cover the pricing and etc...

Now let's go on with this build, the next chance I get I will take a picture of the fuselage so you all can see it, One of the neat things about it is that Merrill is putting a production number inside the fuselage and I got the second one out of the mold. Sure glad I had my share of the tax return money stashed away... just don't tell the wife I bought another plane. (you have too many planes) is what she will say.

So I am helping chase out the instructions and working like a mad man trying to get it all done for the fall fest.

Now for those on the list get your money up because Merrill will give you a call that you are next and for the amount of work that goes into each of these planes you won't want to let the price he has offered slip away.

Tonight I have pictures of the bare bones of the main wing panel, look at all the Kevlar wrapping that Merrill has done. sure glad he put the time in to all that work because that just saved me hours.

The next is the tail stab and the main panel with sheeting, so as you can see it is coming along. I still need to glass a center section on the main panel and there is other items like carbon capping to do so I will be busy.

The best thing I can tell everyone is that so far building the Oculus has been straight forward without any tricks as to how to build it.

So I will close for tonight and we will be building again soon.

Clarence
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
SWEEEET! looking good C! Hey, what glue are you using?

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,117 Posts
C,

2 Q's:

1. I thought that the Kevlar thread wrapping on the "typical" I-beam type spar with CF T/B caps & shear webs (ala Dr. Drela), was to prevent delamination of the CF caps. If so, what purpose does the Kevlar thread wrapping of a CF tube offer? Fracturing of the CF tube prevention?

2. Wouldn't a "typical" I-beam spar with shear webs, CF top & bottom caps, with Kevlar thread wrapping be stronger than the CF tube?
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:30 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
C,

2 Q's:

1. I thought that the Kevlar thread wrapping on the "typical" I-beam type spar with CF T/B caps & shear webs (ala Dr. Drela), was to prevent delamination of the CF caps. If so, what purpose does the Kevlar thread wrapping of a CF tube offer? Fracturing of the CF tube prevention?

2. Wouldn't a "typical" I-beam spar with shear webs, CF top & bottom caps, with Kevlar thread wrapping be stronger than the CF tube?
Have you ever seen what happens to CF tubes under heavy loads. The Kevlar thread is to prevent that! The main spar has been tested under lunch load and the spar bends more than any of the wood in the wing. I made some changes to the main spar to fix all that. You can read all about it on my RC Groups blog at Mr B.... The main spar has a double CF tube with each spar rapped with Kevlar thread separately and resin sealed. The main tip spars are also rapped past the wing rod.

The round spar was used as it was designed. I didn't want to change what worked just made it stronger for the lead footers!

The Oculus page will be up soon on the MM web page. Trying to finalize all the Mfg parts before mass production.

C. is one of the lucky ones to get one of the first kits. Hope to deliver a few kits at the Fall Fest.

Enough from me this is C. thread I will let him cover all that he is doing with the Oculus build.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:14 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,117 Posts
Yes Mr. B,

I have read the entire postings on the links provided in this post, and saw where you had upgraded to a double spar (one within the other - but no postings as to why/what the reasons were/what the problem was, or potentially was/what the upgrade did or how it addressed the concerns/etc.), but because of "what happens to CF tube spars under load" was the impetus for my question of why not the more typical spar design, instead of the tube spar. Isn't the tube spar more prone to problems/failure than a more typical spar, that's all.

It looks like a wonderful plane, I was just seeking some clarifications. Was it ease of construction, weight savings, etc.?Hopefully I'll eventually get my name on the waiting list for one. I look forward to any & all upgrades/improvements that may come along. :-)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Yes Mr. B,

I have read the entire postings on the links provided in this post, and saw where you had upgraded to a double spar (one within the other - but no postings as to why/what the reasons were/what the problem was, or potentially was/what the upgrade did or how it addressed the concerns/etc.), but because of "what happens to CF tube spars under load" was the impetus for my question of why not the more typical spar design, instead of the tube spar. Isn't the tube spar more prone to problems/failure than a more typical spar, that's all.

It looks like a wonderful plane, I was just seeking some clarifications. Was it ease of construction, weight savings, etc.?Hopefully I'll eventually get my name on the waiting list for one. I look forward to any & all upgrades/improvements that may come along. :-)

One thing you're overlooking on the round spar:

Ease of build.

Sure, a fully engineered I-Beam is "optimal", however a tube works just as well, as long as it's sized appropriately. To manage the flight loads, Merrill simply doubled up what needed beefing.

Now for the other reason:

$$$

Try finding a plane of this caliber for the price point Merrill is offering it at.

The Oculus is designed to be a RES world-beater without the nosebleed price of say an AVA or other Drela knock-off.

----------------------

Merrill,

Pardon me if my comments are in any way incorrect or misleading, I'll edit to reflect should they be...

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:43 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,117 Posts
Frogchief,

If you re-read my second sentence of my second paragraph that you
quoted, you will see that I neither overlooked the potential for ease
of build or cost.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:34 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
SWEEEET! looking good C! Hey, what glue are you using?

Al
Hi Al

The picture shows the answer to your question. this glue is like a medium ca with a slow set.
Now for the other picture the little delivery tubes are called pipets and they make gluing so much neater, just use them and throw them away.

You can find them at science shops and chemical shops or find them on line...they are way cheaper than the hobby shops.

Clarence
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Quote:
Yes Mr. B,

(one within the other - but no postings as to why/what the reasons were/what the problem was, or potentially was/what the upgrade did or how it addressed the concerns/etc.)
The potential problem was if a person gave it a real hard launch the tube spar could flex and cause damage to the wing, so Merrill decided that it was better to double tube it and reduce the risk of a failure.

That addition added a minimal amount of weight and Merrill felt the benefit of more strength was the way to go.

Clarence