HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
wasp v3 6ch help!

Hello,

I am praying someone can give me some advice as I am at my wits end!

I have read many of the wasp threads already.
I have a wasp v3 6 ch helicopter. Since getting this I have had no end of troubles with it. Main problem being the tail would not stay still but would spin out of control. I have gotten this partially solved but not quite right, now i see the factory test videos. I am now looking at the belt, seeing as the rest of the helicopter was put together by someone who clearly was thinking about what he/she wanted to do at the weekend.

List of things I have noticed so far.
1. I believe the swash plate should be level aka 180 degrees. mine was angled to the front at an angle of as much as 15 degrees. upon further investigation I would put this down to the inbalance front to back of the helicopter, being rather tail heavy. I put the swash plate level and the helicopter would lift with its tail stuck on the floor and fly backwards if you corrected this with the controls it would then head backwards again once you let go.

2. Now the tail belt in the instructions and the diagram that comes on cd with it shows the belt doing different things to how the actual helicopter is. to explain imagine you have the two shafts, the main one where the drive comes from which lays horizontal and the tail pulley that stands vertical. the blades spin clockwise therefor pulling the belt on the left hand side ( as if you were looking at the heli from the back) this side leads to the bottom of the tail pulley, therefor spinning the tail blades clockwise (if you are looking from the left side, aka opposite side to the blades) The diagram on the instructions shows this the opposite way, it comes from the left but goes to he top of the tail pulley. Can any one confirm which way this goes, as my belt catches on itself in its current way and the other way would mean the blades spin the opposite way.

3. according to the instructions at 0 throttle it advises the pitch of the blades should be 0 degrees. Mine came set at 6 degree's should it be like this or set too 0?

4. tail not holding position - I have tried loosening and tightening the belt, i have even replaced the belt, I have moved the servo to every position possible. I have turned up the gyro which helped for a bit bit now had no different effect. Looking further into it the rear tail shaft looks bent. Would this stop it from holding its position? I have not crashed the heli or damaged the back so this bent shaft must have come from the factory like this.

5. the fly bars should be perfectly flat aka 0 degrees, not at +3 as mine came set too?

6. the helicopter should be balanced from holding by the fly bar across the helicopter the tail should not dip right down being a good 2 inches lower than the skids?

7. tail servo moves say 60 degrees to the front but will only move 10 from its "central point" to the back is this a broken servo or how it is meant to be?

I personally at the end of my tether with this helicopter, i fully understand that these are clever little machines and plenty of work goes into them but i have spent over 15 hours playing with this thing to no avail. I did yesterday evening manage to have the tail hold its heading for a 1 battery worth, then when i put it on again it was all different and would not hold its heading. That 8 minutes was great... but that's all i have had out of hours and hours and days wasted playing with this thing.

Any advice greatly received and sorry for the huge first post.
jamie192 is offline Find More Posts by jamie192
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
Lordy.....wher is druss and jasmine...this is a big un !!!
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,239 Posts
I have one of those suckers. First, upgrade the head with the V4 CNC parts. It takes a lot of the slop out. Second, buy an EXI tail assembly. Even the CNC tail parts don't cut it. Lots of slop and very fussy connections. At best, there are points where it will bind. It's got pretty good electronics and it's 250 size. You may want to buy a nice clone 250 kit and swap everything over. I've invested in the CNC upgrades and they are expensive. But, I'm thinking of buying a 250 clone kit anyway.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,191 Posts
When working on the heli disconnect the motor for safety
First your #1 and #6 go together put all your trims to center except the throttle trim it's all the way down. your servo arms should be at 90* as shown on page 2 of the manual I have linked below. if the arms are not at 90* with trims centered then remove servo arms an reset them as close to 90* as possible and then trim to 90* if you can hook your transmitter up to a computer and it has sub trims use them if not you will have to use the transmitter trims. then adjust links to get the swashplate level. If the heli drifts backwards as you state you need to balance it as you said in #6 when holding the flybar the heli should be level if it's tail heavy it will drift backwards as you noticed. If it still drifts back move the battery foward if you can if not you may have to add some wieght to the nose end to get proper balance

#2 when looking at the heli from the right side the tail rotor blades should turn counter clockwise. the leading edge of the blades should turn from the bottom toward the front and up into the main rotor. If the belt is catching on itself that sounds like it has to many twists in it should be only a half twist. It might take a couple of trys to get the twist in the right direction to get the rotor turning in the right direction. I think if you pull the belt horizontal and twist it to right vertical that might get the rotation direction you need.

#3 make sure you are in normal flight mode switch at top right of transmitter
to check the pitch. page 1

#4 and #7
start with #7 make sure the rudder trim is centered with power on (make sure motor is disconnected no surprise startups) is the servo arm at 90* as in picture on page 5 of the manual if not remove and replace the arm as close to 90* as possible might need trim get it at 90*(usual problem for unequal travel) then check to see if the tail slider is centered again see picture on page 5 if not loosen tail servo mount and move servo along the boom until the slider is centered and test fly and readjust if needed till tail holds position. after this the gyro might need adjusting. I hope this helps as a starting point towards a fix. Other people will step in and add to this I hope I'm sure I missed something
http://www.skyartec.net/UploadFiles/...adjustment.pdf
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Firstly thank you for all the replies

Quote :
I have one of those suckers. First, upgrade the head with the V4 CNC parts. It takes a lot of the slop out. Second, buy an EXI tail assembly. Even the CNC tail parts don't cut it. Lots of slop and very fussy connections. At best, there are points where it will bind. It's got pretty good electronics and it's 250 size. You may want to buy a nice clone 250 kit and swap everything over. I've invested in the CNC upgrades and they are expensive. But, I'm thinking of buying a 250 clone kit anyway.

I do have a CNC head on the way, I agree with the slop and the binding on the tail too. Where might I find one of these Exi tail assembly?

Quote :
#3 make sure you are in normal flight mode switch at top right of transmitter
to check the pitch. page 1

I am in normal, shock horror the first time I switched it to 1 lol.

Quote :
First your #1 and #6 go together put all your trims to center except the throttle trim it's all the way down. your servo arms should be at 90* as shown on page 2 of the manual I have linked below. if the arms are not at 90* with trims centered then remove servo arms an reset them as close to 90* as possible and then trim to 90* if you can hook your transmitter up to a computer and it has sub trims use them if not you will have to use the transmitter trims. then adjust links to get the swashplate level. If the heli drifts backwards as you state you need to balance it as you said in #6 when holding the flybar the heli should be level if it's tail heavy it will drift backwards as you noticed. If it still drifts back move the battery foward if you can if not you may have to add some wieght to the nose end to get proper balance.

I will try this thank you, With the balance I have added weights into the front of the canopy as the battery could not move any further forward, it already touches the canopy as it is. My thought on this though is should this not be done at the factory? to some extent?

I will not quote the others, I have tried most the suggestions here but I will have another go. Maybe its me or maybe its this machine. I also need to try and stop the wobbly tail from binding as well (another design fault) I just cant help but feel this heli was not designed very well from start to finish. My other option is to give up and buy an esky king bee 3.. but will i be in the same boat? needing to buy all the upgrades to make it fly like a normal helicopter and hold its tail?

Thanks again all
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Hello again all,

After much fiddling I think the tail spinning may be a combination of excessive play in the tail pitch assembly. Now I am on to the final niggling problem. I was having issues with the belt on this heli. I ordered a new belt hoping this would help... the new belt and the old belt came with "built in" twist in it, if you hold the belt between your two fingers with fingers level the belt twists round then rights itself ready for the next finger. The belt will not twist any other way. Has any one actually seen one of these skyartec belts who can confirm this is right? because I cant get the belt not to catch on itself and then it skips off the runners and then twists properly. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,239 Posts
I have never observed that problem with my Wasp.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14