SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Where do you guys get you amp and watt readouts?
From the charger.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,577 Posts
He mentioned above your post where to get digital readout displays. But the chargers also display what they are doing too.
I tend to like the old style analog meters, and you can get those from many sources online, and also at Frys Electronics too.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 05, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:38 AM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague
Joined Oct 2010
206 Posts
Analog intruments would not fit in the case, also the Amp meter is with Hall sensor, for analog one, i would need a shunt which means some heat generated on it.
jointer is offline Find More Posts by jointer
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
438 Posts
built this last year with an old tool box. it works pretty well but the four chargers take up a lot of room and i need to be able to charge twice as many packs this year. i'm considering using two Hitec X4 chargers instead so i'll need a new power supply also i think.
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jointer View Post
Analog intruments would not fit in the case, also the Amp meter is with Hall sensor, for analog one, i would need a shunt which means some heat generated on it.
It depends on the current levels one needs to measure. If I remember correctly the shunt on my ammeter was about .001 ohms. So at 50 amps it doesn't generate much heat if any.

but yes the digital meters would use up less space in a case. So it depends on what they are using and doing at the time.
I happen to have some digital meters too but I haven't done anything with them yet.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
France, Languedoc, Villar-Saint-Anselme
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
Here's my mobile setup...has 2x 100w solar panels for charging and a garage to store my aircraft.

Wife is happy as she can come along too!

Name: Mobile.jpg
Views: 659
Size: 68.8 KB
Description:
davehuge is offline Find More Posts by davehuge
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
438 Posts
what do you do while you're waiting for the batteries to charge? ride the scooter?
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barchiola View Post
what do you do while you're waiting for the batteries to charge? ride the scooter?
Depends on what your considering "the scooter"!!!

Jim
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:15 PM
France, Languedoc, Villar-Saint-Anselme
Joined Apr 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornpiston View Post
Depends on what your considering "the scooter"!!!

Jim
Oi! I heard that!
davehuge is offline Find More Posts by davehuge
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:06 AM
Grand Junction , Co
Joined Sep 2010
139 Posts
Maybe a few of you guys could help me out, right now my charging setup uses 2 105ah 205RC mins @23amps. I am using 6s 5000mah batts,and its the time of year i don't get to many flights in(cold lol) so I have a PL8 and have been charging at 15amps and the most i have charged so far is 4 charges. What I'm trying to figure out is how many charges I could get on my setup if i am using 70-80% out of the batteries?I just got a 700e to go with my 550 and was thinking I might need to start looking at generators lol.
Would be great if someone could give me an idea how many charges I could get on my 6s 5000's with my current deepcycle setup. Guess i didn't pay enough attention in math class
WestColoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WestColoFlyer
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Use an in-line wattmeter that measures mAh off of your main power supply batteries before the charger. An estimate would be just a best guess and wouldn't necessarily accurately take into account charging efficiency and power losses.

Not accounting for the power losses, you'll want to put the different values into comparable terms such as finding the watt-hours of the supply battery and the batteries you're charging.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:16 PM
Jim
Ocean Pines, MD, USA
Joined Sep 2004
52 Posts
Well, my charging system is quite simple, compared to some others. I only use NiCads and NiMh batteries, and do almost all charging while driving to my field in my truck. I have a total of three Hobbico Quick Field Charger II's, each having two dc output channels. I use two in the truck and keep one at home connected to a PC power supply 12 VDC output. These chargers typically get any pack fully charged in 20 minutes, so if I need more than four devices charged, I need to stop and move the charge cords to new customers. Since my travel time is about 40 minutes, I almost never need to charge at home. If I need to charge at the field, I've made the plane cords long enough to charge just outside of my truck. Hard to imagine anything simpler or more convenient.
WildeOne is offline Find More Posts by WildeOne
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Here is my short build thread. Not pictured is the power source for the charging station....a Honda EU2000.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574872
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,577 Posts
Cool setup there Mike Freas. I have a small generator I can use too. But at our flying field we have electricity, so we get to use power at the field for charging.

Here is what I did to make my iCharger 3010B+ more portable. It is in a large Pelican style case made for a tool of some kind, and I converted it over to be a charger carrying case. it has two Dell DPS500 server 500w power supplies inside, hooked up in series to provide 25v or 12.5v as desired. One power supply was modified so that the inside circuit board is floating and not connected or grounded to the chassis ground. The chassis are still both grounded via the power cords. Someone was selling these power supplies on Ebay for $5.00 each recently.

I used a couple of large pieces of Velcro Loops contact glued to the bottom and the top on the inside of the case. I then used Velcro Hooks stuck to the Chargers, Power Supplies and some accessories. That way I can move things around as needed.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 13, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
If any of you want a great place to get some plexy glass from to help build your custom PSU case, check this place out: http://www.estreetplastics.com/

They have all kinds of sizes, custom sizes, colors, and thicknesses to choose from.
If you want lexan instead, they have it as well. Great prices too!
I'm not affiliated with this company or anyone that is employed at this company.
I just thought I'd share this place.

Jim
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston