SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Great thread so far. suprized that there aren't more people in here with the popularity of larger chargers and supplies.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Last edited by marksextra; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Now that is BS.

It will short together and trip a circuit breaker.

That is a far cry from seriously injuring someone.

I haven't yet seen 12V hurt someone.
There you go again with only part of the story.

But hey if you say so man.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...afety+concerns
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
You need to re-read that thread you are quoting and edit what you said to say something like -

" if you modify it incorrectly there is the possibility that if one of the PS ever burns out and shorts to ground (the chassis/case) you may become injured if you touch one of the cases."

That is way more accurate and the WHOLE story not some inflammatory off the cuff hear-say comment.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
The 12v or 24v isn't the problem. If there is a major failure inside the power supply, and 110v AC or 220v AC gets onto the chassis then you manage to touch it accidentally, it might be the last thing you do.

The better dual 12v power supply modifications for getting 24v, in series out of them, entails surrounding the power supply cases with something so you cannot accidentally touch them and keep them both separate from each other too. But even then you need to modify one or the other so the metal case is not the same ground as the 12v return line, you need to separate it. On my big power supplies, you open it up and under the main printed circuit board there is a small 1/4 watt low ohm value resistor (serves as a slow blow, smokes a lot fuse) you need to remove, to float the 12v common from the chassis ground. it is detailed in the thread I started about them.

But in any case, one needs to cover the power supply chassis with something that prevents them from accidentally touching the chassis. Some folks even added a neon bulb indicator to their setup, so should a power problem occur the bulb lights up indicating there is high voltage on the chassis.

But if you aren't comfortable working with electrical things, it is much better to just buy a 24v 1000w power supply than risk your life on it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
If there is a major failure inside the power supply, and 110v AC or 220v AC gets onto the chassis then you manage to touch it accidentally, it might be the last thing you do.
This can not happen if you do not cut the 120V ground. That is definitely something that should not be done.

Quote:
Some folks even added a neon bulb indicator to their setup, so should a power problem occur the bulb lights up indicating there is high voltage on the chassis.
Again only necessary if you are foolish enough to cut the ground on the high voltage side.

If the high voltage side is not altered and only the DC ground on one PS is removed the chances of anything happening are very, very unlikely.
And the chance of personal injury is just about nil.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Now that is BS.

It will short together and trip a circuit breaker.

That is a far cry from seriously injuring someone.

I haven't yet seen 12V hurt someone.
A guy I went to av-tech school with was messing around in a Cessna 150 doing some battery maintenance...

He managed to wedge his wedding band between the positive terminal and the airframe.
It instantly glowed cherry red!

12 volts... might hurt ya!
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
A guy I went to av-tech school with was messing around in a Cessna 150 doing some battery maintenance...

He managed to wedge his wedding band between the positive terminal and the airframe.
It instantly glowed cherry red!

12 volts... might hurt ya!
That can happen with the current of 500 - 600 amp in a battery but not very likely at all from a 12v 40amp PS.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
You need to re-read that thread you are quoting and edit what you said to say something like -

" if you modify it incorrectly there is the possibility that if one of the PS ever burns out and shorts to ground (the chassis/case) you may become injured if you touch one of the cases." It's obvious you just want to argue. I said the same thing. this what I said. " If you don't do the modification correctly, the supply can seriously injure you" I'm not going to argue, but although yours may be more specific it won't help the novice any more than mine. Maybe less since they don't know what your talking about.And how is that hear-say? Forget it. You're busted.

That is way more accurate and the WHOLE story not some inflammatory off the cuff hear-say comment.
Look, my point is that new persons to this should error on the side of caution. you quoted two power supplies to(for all you know) is a complete novice telling them to look to those to get a bunch of power. ......and you want me to be specific and I'm off the cuff and inflammatory? giving a web link to a couple power supplies and 1000W is generic at best and like I said should be accompanied by a warning. These power supplies can be dangerous even if you don't think so. Just like I said, AND just like the thread and all the subscribers say so. Case in point the quote below. With this kind of misinformation floating around folks are bound to get it all wrong and things could turn out bad. How about help us spread some safety to new people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
The better dual 12v power supply modifications for getting 24v, in series out of them, entails surrounding the power supply cases with something so you cannot accidentally touch them and keep them both separate from each other too.

This just isn't so. If you remove the AC ground seperating the cases will be required but it is NOT recommened to even modify the AC ground. The -DC gournd should be modified. A much safer way to do things. This modification will allow the cases to touch. But, hey, I'm no expert. I do what I do. Everyone should proceed at their own level of comfort.

But if you aren't comfortable working with electrical things, it is much better to just buy a 24v 1000w power supply than risk your life on it.
x100 on this one. Proceed at your own level of comfort and knowledge with the notion that it is important to know what you're doing.

I"m not trying to be argumentative but most are in agreement that you need to be careful. Despite was individuals may think, it's not just getting shocked by 12V. Hey isn't this a power supply CASE thread?
Last edited by marksextra; Jan 21, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I think I may have mistakenly marked you as an "anti-computer power supply converter" with your original comment. I have seen this many many times where a guy heard once that it could be dangerous and has completely dismissed the idea of doing this, is scared to death and doesn't know it can be done safely.

And pointing a guy to these PS on the internet doesn't lead to him frying himself.
There is no way he could get it to work without reading the thread here on RCG to convert it.
He would never figure out the pinout and would hopefully read the thread to get the whole picture of what is necessary to convert these.
I learned long ago you can't protect someone from themselves.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
I'm not at all opposed to doing things yourself. I had to learn and I'm no electrician. Everyone has to start somewhere. And it is true that you can't protect some people. It's survival of the fittest.

Anyways, in the spirit of this thread.

Here is some information I collected. Some may find it useful.

Pelican storm iM2200 15. x 10.5 x 6.0 in $79 new too small
Pelican storm im 2400 18. X 13 x 6.7
Pelican storm iM2450 18. x 13.0 x 8.4
Pelican storm im 2600 20 x 14 x 7.7
Pelican Storm iM2700 22 x 17 x 8

Pelican 1450 14.62" x 10.18" x 6.00" too small
Pelican 1500 16.75" x 11.18" x 6.12"
Pelican 1514 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60 $
Pelican 1520 18 x 12.89 x 6.72
Pelican 1550 18.43 x 14 x 7.62"
Pelican 1600 21.43 x 16.5 x7.8 use lid oganizer1609
Pelican 1620 21.48" x 16.42" x 12.54"
Pelican 1650 28.57" x 17.52" x 10.65"
Bolton 16.75 x 11.18 x 6.12
Bolton 19.75 X 14 X 8.5

These can all be found on Ebay. With the cheapest being the Boltons. I just receive the Pelican Storm Im2700 thinking I wanted a large case. In retrospect, it may be too big. I have also ordered a Pelican 1520 to see if it more suits my purpose. I'll report my findings.

In the picture you can see the IM2700 dwarfs the two 700W power supplies that I modified and the one 575W powersupply along with the two 306b's. Imagine how much room there will be with the two 306b's over top the powersupplies on a plexiglass shelf. If my measurements are correct I should be able to fit all that in the 1520 case, if not I'll just use the 2700 and store the power cords and extra adapters and such in there too.

Warning the 'High Voltage' is just bling. These two supplies are going to a buddy of mine and that's what he wanted.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,877 Posts
I like the case you chose, but like my big one, I can agree that it might be a bit on the big side. My two server power supplies are great, but they are big and heavy. Thus two of them would be a chore to haul around inside a case.
I like the large Velcro sheets or Velcro panels like ProgressiveRC used in their cases. Those are great for positioning things and moving them (albeit they move with extreme difficulty though). I have been planning on getting one of those 300 series iChargers myself. I like the iCharger 1010B+ that I have, as I can use a external resistance with it to discharge larger battery packs to the storage voltage levels at a faster rate. I have a couple of huge wire wound ceramic resistors (3.8 ohm and 5 ohm) I use. Usually I can fly the battery packs out, but once in a while you get stuck with some 5000mah packs that are fully charged and thus you have to discharge them back down to storage levels. For example you crash the plane or something breaks or you screw up the landing or something.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:02 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I wanted to share a case that someone was using for a charger set up he was selling. Very slick with this case as it opens up and makes 2 cases. Can't find the exact size but its made for LP's (records). I am going to stop by the factory here in LA and check it out for my charging case and another for TX and such.

Harry

http://www.eurolitecase.com/record-dj-cases-pro.html
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Tombsy
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
Mines a Rubbermaid toolbox with a Powerlab 6 and a Maxamps 24v PS. I just got the MPA for it.

Pescador is offline Find More Posts by Pescador
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:00 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I wanted to share a case that someone was using for a charger set up he was selling. Very slick with this case as it opens up and makes 2 cases. Can't find the exact size but its made for LP's (records). I am going to stop by the factory here in LA and check it out for my charging case and another for TX and such.

Harry

http://www.eurolitecase.com/record-dj-cases-pro.html
Nice, you might want to mention to them that they should include the dimensions on their web site. I see a couple I'd be interested in if I knew the sizes.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Nice, you might want to mention to them that they should include the dimensions on their web site. I see a couple I'd be interested in if I knew the sizes.

Azarr
Yea, what are they thinking? I did find the inside dimensions 12.75 x 12.75 x 10. I found one on clearance for $20 on another site. Will call tomorrow to be sure. There is another company, A&J Cases out here that made cases for all my photo gear. They are all custom made and will call them as well.

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H