SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Discussion
Stryker F-27Q - Sweet

So the big white truck showed up and dropped off a BIG box on my front porch. I was excited to find the Stryker F-27Q inside!!! Back when I was in the selling side of RC I always dreamed of selling ready-to-fly planes and now those days are here. I popped the top off the box and had the Stryker ready to fly in stock form in around 50 minutes. I jumped on to RCG and did a search to get tips on how to program my Hitec Aurora 9 for elevons, set the esc to hard brake and I was ready to go. I got up early and headed to the field this morning. I used the foam box it shipped in as a carry box. All I had to do was cut slits in the back of the foam shipping box for the rudders and the Stryker was locked in and safe from getting messed up in the car (I tend to do most of the damage to my planes during transport). The first toss was interesting but as I skimmed the ground I punched it and off she went. I tend to try and get as much throw as possible without binding the servos and I set the expo around -20 on my Hitec but man 0 man!!! Since it was the first flight the Stryker wasn't trimmed and I used all the nerve I had to keep her steady as I trimmed it out. I brought it in and set my the expo to -50 and then it was easy to fly nice and calm and then grab a handfull of elevator or rudder. I was able to elevator to the ground immediately. I got a few flat spins but I didn't really get the "boomerang" going. All that is expected since these were my very first flights on the bird. I'm excited to get my hands on the Stryker F-27Q and I'm going to keep throwing her in the air on a regular basis. I love it! More later as I get more flights on her.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:39 AM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined May 2010
101 Posts
Hi Jim. Is that one of the new Hitec "Minima" Receivers you have in there? I just used a regular Optima 6 in mine and it was a tight fit, but not too bad.

I am also having a blast with this plane, it's just so fast and tracks like an arrow. To make landings even easier, try setting up airbrakes on it - set a toggle switch to make both rudders deflect inward to max throw. It slows it down to a crawl for landing. Need to mix a little down elevator with it as well, as it balloons up when you activate the brakes. FUN!

-Rob
circusfreak is offline Find More Posts by circusfreak
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:05 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Hey Jim,

Here's how to make the boomerang spins easy. Take that Stryker up about 500 feet or more (the higher the better). Be climbing at about a 60 degree angle and moving pretty fast. When you're ready, jam both sticks in opposite corners...bottom left and top right (zero throttle, full left rudder and full down elevator, full right aileron). Hold those inputs and if it falls into an upright flat spin, just hang on. If it falls inverted, abort and save your altitude and try again. It will take it a few seconds to develop the crazy boomerang spin, but when it does, you'll know it. Hang on as long as you dare!

Recovery takes a bit of altitude, so don't say I didn't warn ya. To recover, give it your normal spin recovery technique, but add some power.

Fun stuff...give it a try!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I got it going this morning - super cool! So tell me how to get the knife edge going? I spoke with David Payne from Horizon and he said I had to get that thing totally vertical to lock into a knife edge.
Administrator
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined May 2010
101 Posts
I am having a hard time getting this thing to lock into a nice knife edge as well. I dialed in some aileron mix, and it seems to straighten out now, but then adding down elevator just throws it all off. I am thinking the nature of this beast is going to just be touchy for things like that. Everything else is such a hoot though! Dropping in a 40C lipo really added some speed too. Fun!
circusfreak is offline Find More Posts by circusfreak
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Have yall' tried the 6.5x6.5 props?
Administrator
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
Hi Jim. Is that one of the new Hitec "Minima" Receivers you have in there? I just used a regular Optima 6 in mine and it was a tight fit, but not too bad.

-Rob
I found this thread while searching for 27Q and Minima since that's what I'm probably going to use. It's nice to know the Optima 6 is a workable option since the battery telemetry could be handy. By the way, it looks like original poster is using an XPS Nano-E for a receiver (which also means an XPS module in the Tx).
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Rob
That is what I am running.
Administrator