HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Feb 2005
38 Posts
It really is tuff... which it really needs to be...

I initially had problems with mine being hard to steer one way, I cant remember which way it used to be tho. Somehow after all the repairs I must have stumbled on the magic formula to make it fly well, but I dont know why...

I just rebuilt mine, I ran the control rods along the outside with the servos cut into the side of the fuse.

It flys poorly again, but has a twist in the fuse I havnt been able to get out..

Mine wont turn to the right now, and when it does the nose goes up and it tries to stall, but it flys ok to the left. The fuse is quite twisted tho...

I did have a lot of left thrust on mine when it was flying well however, due to repairs to the motor mount. Maybe it was a good thing...
Chewy2 is offline Find More Posts by Chewy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
My suggestion for Tuff Trainer owners is to tear it down and rebuild it in a manner similar to my TecOne EPP Funflyer, pretty much the same aircraft in ARF form:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546780

Y'all with the Tuff Trainers are fighting the same tail-heavy lack of balance and poor build quality found in the Funflyer, but with more components & complexity. They CAN be a great flyer, but require some forethought and a whole lot of after-the-sale re-building. "RTF" & "ARF" they really are not. Mine rocks, but it would be just another sad under-performer if I had not done the re-build.

Better yet, start with a well-designed EPP trainer kit like the one from crashtesthobby.com:
http://www.crashtesthobby.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538751

It is likely easier starting from scratch with a good kit than having to diagnose & fix RTF/ARF design & assembly screw-ups.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:39 AM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
I have finaly built my Tuff Trainer. I will maden her today in a great winter land
pulver is offline Find More Posts by pulver
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Feb 2005
38 Posts
Wow! That looks amazing! Let us know how you go.
Chewy2 is offline Find More Posts by Chewy2
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,629 Posts
I've had the Tuff Trainer for a while now, here are a few of my videos about it.

Tuff Trainer Time Lapse (0 min 30 sec)

Newbie's Tuff Trainer Maiden Flight in HD (1 min 21 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5Z4tA6BqA

Hobby King Tuff Trainer Review (12 min 23 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7P3hCJT6Y

Well, today I convinced my dad to quit his afternoon nap early and take me down to the local high school and track complex to fly me Tuff Trainer after at least 3 weeks without flying it. I just got back from flying. Sadly, I couldn't convince my brother to get off his iPod touch and film the flight... whatever. Anyways, I took my DX6i, Turnigy transmitter neck strap, my Tuff Trainer, and the small battery, as I didn't have enough time to charge the 2200 mAH 3S one. (I used the 800 mAH 3S pack). I launched it with too little throttle at first, so it dipped down into the snow, which served as a cushion. Therefore, the propeller didn't break. The next launch was successful, as I used about 70% throttle and chucked the Tuff Trainer (in all its glory) into the sky, then gunned the throttle at 100%. It went straight up into the sky, which was very bright and mixed with the reflection of the snow on the ground. The Tuff Trainer looked pretty awesome in front of the moon with the snow reflecting off the ground. I tried a loop while I was even higher but the motor mount is still a bit loose and made a bunch of weird and awkward noises, so I terminated the loop and continued doing circles in the air above me, the whole time squinting from the light.

It was a great flight! Using the throttle sparingly, I got I'd say about 10 minutes of flight time, including 1 landing at 20% left of the Li-Po pack and then another landing at the complete end of the flight. I got the Tuff Trainer to glide in very well and made a really sweet and smooth landing right on the track, having it stop no more than 10 feet away from me! I'm really starting to get good at this, even without rudder control I maneuvered the Tuff Trainer everywhere... even over the parking lot and high school, in which my dad quickly told me to get away from that area... I guess he still doesn't trust me with motors and propellers for now... I also made a 90% throttle pass right over my head at about 10' elevation and just skimmed over the track's fence. I definitely had a lot of fun, but I wish that I had time before to charge that larger 2200 mAH 3S pack, then 25+ minutes would be accomplished! But... we were kind of cramped on time. It's too bad that I didn't get a video, maybe next time.

I'm certainly having tons of fun with this plane. After having an awkward start into aerial R/C with a Hobby King Skyfun Jet (video is below)... I'm definitely happy that I can fly this one, in fact I may be moving up to a more "intermediate" plane pretty soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHd46n7USQ

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight THERMAL Video!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:30 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,629 Posts
Here's another video, I had some unused Tuff Trainer video footage so I decided to make a video out of it. Sorry about the shaky video footage at some points, my brother still is learning how to film the plane right.

Tuff Trainer Flight - Unused Footage (EDIT) (2 min 2 sec)

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight THERMAL Video!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Modifications of plane.

Have done some"blingbling"modifications on my plane
Flying weight is 538 gr white 1300 mAh battery and skii.
My sons plane weight is 468 gr white 1000 mAh battery and no modifications.
Next to do..is painting.
Last edited by pulver; Mar 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Was flying today,and it went verry well until the wind fliped me around when landing..and the plane crased on the nose.
But allready fixed
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
It taks a lot to snap the EPP on this plane, a lot.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Is this the same airplane as Techone Fun Fly ? Minor changes. I passed after reading this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546780

Is it possible the fuselage is not EPP ? Anyway to test it ?

I expected better from EPP.
scname is offline Find More Posts by scname
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
The Techone Hoby Fufly trainer is Identical, yes. I own that plane, and that is why I say, what I said. something may not be right?

You can Bend the wing I demo'ed that in a vid not in full Lol.

There are seams. mine isslowely, needing attention. so i guess we must inspect these glue joints now and then they wear out.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Pimp my plane.

After I have fixed my Tuff Trainer,I dissided to"pimp her up". And her is the reult
Flyingweight 580 white 1300 mAh battery-pack and skii`s...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I finally gave mine away. It flies like a quirky heavy mini Super Cub with ailerons, but that is about it. I could have worked with the motor position for balance, thrust line and angle of incidence, but not worth it.
I don't recommend this plane.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Have fixed the skies and the tail"weel"
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:35 PM
Norge, Troms, Bardu
Joined May 2011
170 Posts
Nightflight white lights:
Tuff Trainer 07.04-12 night flight...AVI (4 min 59 sec)

Tuff Trainer 07.04-12 landing..AVI (0 min 24 sec)

Tuff Trainer 07.04-12 senkveld..AVI (4 min 1 sec)