HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, NJ, Paramus
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Discussion
Where in The USA are these in STOCK

HI All I need on these ESC badly. My project is being held up because of this ESC..I would like to know IF any USA Internet Co. has these in stock?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...hless-esc.html

I know the Opto ones are in stock..Don't want to go with a UBEC, if I DON'T have too.

Thanks dan
DBono99 is offline Find More Posts by DBono99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
Choice of name! "Volcano"
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,689 Posts
That is a Hobby Wing ESC, shop it around some of the other sources and look for one that has the same specs and that looks the same (except for color and markings), it will probably be the same ESC. That Hobby Wing stuff is sold under a lot of different house and store brands all over the world.

Here it is in the UK as a Hobby Wing:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/emax-60amp...ller-p-43.html

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
541 Posts
Thought I found it, but this one says NO BEC. 10 extra bucks will get you an external BEC.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=2&item_id=231
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Here goes these. http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1015-60a-esc.html

I use the 30A ones in my MWC Quad and they work great. They should be almost exactly like what you got. The weight on that page says they are 33grams, but it is wrong, its more at a little over 60.

Hope it helps.

P.S> They have the same demensions as the Volcano series. So, by my standards and guess', its the same thing, just rebranded.
firepong is offline Find More Posts by firepong
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Esc

Hi There ins't much info. on the Dynam 60 amp ESC, at the HobbyPartz web site... Don't know what kind of BEC it has, just says 3 amps, leads me to believe , IT's not a switching type? Will try and check IT out some more..
It DOES use the same programming as the Exceeds/HobbyWing ESC.

Thanks Dan

PS I will never go to ValueHobby.. Had a problem with them!!!
Last edited by DBono99; Aug 23, 2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:50 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,689 Posts
I would not buy it unless they say that it is the one with the switch mode or switching mode 3A BEC.

There were, and I think still are around, some older and/or cheaper models of the various Hobby Wing made ESCs that did not have a switching mode BEC, they had the much inferior linear mode BEC. So if the seller is not smart enough to know that and/or tell you that, I wouldn't buy it.

The switching mode BEC in those, at 3A, is not a huge BEC but should be adequate for a plane with four to maybe six servos or so. But if I was going to place a pretty serious load on the BEC with a lot of big servos and higher power servos I would want to have a BEC with more reserve of power, like a 5A or even 10A BEC, and would be using a good quality external BEC to better protect my investment in the plane. So in that case an OPTO ESC and external BEC would be used or a regular (not an OPTO) ESC and an external BEC would be used.

Jack
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:13 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Bec

Hi Jack I'm only using 4 servo's-Power HD HD-1160A Mini Servo
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=61
PLane is a 3 1/2 sport type plane, looking for 350 watts or more, onn 3's
Thanks Dan
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,511 Posts
DBono99,

Hobbywing ESC's are re-branded under several names:

- DonsRC
- Flightpower Flight Tech
- OEMRC
- EMAX
- Turnigy Plush

Try a Google search. I know HeadsUpRC carries the EMAX version.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
ESC/Bec

240-SX Looks like they use the same programming card, so tghere fore they jusy might be the same.I already have the Programming Card for HobbyWing/Exceed Valcano ones.. I want somehting that I can use the card with..Makes things sooooooo much easier

THanks Dan
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:56 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
I have one Power Up 20 Amp and it is far better than the lower priced versions. It starts very well and doesn't make that lost sync tick sound because it doesn't loose sync. It costs a small bit more, and I can say pay the SMALL difference. You'll be glad. It is sold at Heads Up RC. I assume other Power Up ESC's will be equally better.
They have other one that should fit your needs. I do not like that lost sync thing, it ca hit the battery with a pulsed short circuit and in some situations of energy stored in the motor, an almost 2X voltage short circuit pulse. Called counter EMF.
The Power Up ESC's do not (or have not) had heli functions, so you get limited but correct function.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-20-Amp/Detail
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Last edited by Chophop; Aug 23, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:59 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBono99 View Post
Hi Jack I'm only using 4 servo's-Power HD HD-1160A Mini Servo
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=61
PLane is a 3 1/2 sport type plane, looking for 350 watts or more, onn 3's
Thanks Dan
Those are 16 to 18 grams servos and equivalent to HS-81's. Servo current draw is hard to measure because it is so transient and intermittent. According to some the HS-81 draws 220 mA when moving and can draw up to 600 mAh stalled.

So, in theory, you may have a moment in time when you could be drawing 2.4A (4 x 600 mAh) with four servos. But it is very unlikely to ever happen is my spin on it.

I've looked at the fluctuations in the current draw in the eLogger data that was collected in flight on various plane and when you stop the motor and really give the servos a work out, moving them all and to their limits, the most current I have ever seen from four servos was maybe 1.6A or so and just a spike at that.

But you know how it goes... If you manage to get a servo stalled (it is still trying to move and some counter force is stopping it) the current goes up and eventually things can get too hot. But once a servo that is not restrained somehow has attained a new commanded position, the current should drop...

Jack
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
servo's

Hi Jack Thanks for the servo's info.even though I DON'T have clue what you were talking about..LOL

Thanks Again Dan
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:05 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Dan,

Why do you need a 60A if your designing for only 350W?? Is it just to get the switching bec?

Sounds like you are tied to Hobbywing, but if you are open to trying something different, I have one of these nib I could let you have for $20 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11618

Hobbywing used to be my go-to affordable esc until I found this one. It has an amazing array of programmables, incl EIGHT timing setting and 5v/6v selectable output.

Regarding the prog card, I believe you can get one, but all of the programs can be done very simply with the tx - very straightforward, fast, and easy to understand.

A buddy and I have been beating it to death in our PA Addictions without one hiccup - had them to 50A for very short bursts many times. Throttle range is excellent from post to post, and throttle response is immediate.

If you want, buy it and use it until you can get your Volcano 60, then I'll buy it back for the same price.

Let me know if you're interested. If not, I completely understand - just trying to help get you in the air.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes