SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 92PathSE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
248 Posts
Discussion
12V Adapter HowTo

Do you have 40 old cell phone car chargers in a box somewhere? I know I do. Here's something useful you can do with one.

Ever needed a 12VDC source when you're in your car but don't want to directly hook up to the battery? Cut up your old cell phone charger and make one of these.

(This is when the A-Team theme song starts playing.)

Old charger

There's a bunch of stuff on that board. You will probably want to disable it somehow. Most of them have a fuse that can be un-soldered. It's probably the first thing in the circuit. I had to remove most of the components to make room for my mods...

The spring in the center is +, and the springs on the sides are -. Well, they should be. It's a good idea to check them with a multimeter just in case your car is wired backwards somehow.

Boom, you're done.

There's a ton of uses for this. When I was a auto tech, I was always looking for a good ground or 12V+ source while fixing/diagnosing a problem. This would have been very helpful. I made this one so I could charge my LiPos without popping the hood. That always seems to attract the police.

You can always buy something like this if you don't want to cut up your phone charger...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rodsPerPage=60
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Last edited by 92PathSE; Aug 21, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
tree scavenger
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
Nice!
... but why couldnt ya just wack the cord, and re-connect the wires to alligators, bananas, or whatever?
silentsurfer is offline Find More Posts by silentsurfer
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
248 Posts
Ahh, yes, but in this case the output was only ~5V max I think, which is not enough for my charger.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see if one of these could charge a 1S LiPo using the stock electronics...since that's what this particular model was intended to do.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE