SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:07 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
This is the first time I have attempted this so bear with me.
Just a quick progress update...
Having problems finding a guide on mid mounted wings, I have cut out the wing cores and a slot in the fuse for the wing centre section to slot into, but am unsure how to connect the wings, any advice or link to a guide would be most helpful at the moment...
Wing cores for the centre section have been cut will post when I have it together a bit more
Here's a pic of my progress so far. the foam frame with the balsa skin is very rigid, not weighed her yet..
Ugly Duckling is offline Find More Posts by Ugly Duckling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
on one like this you might be able to just glue it in place but it will not be removeable. I would go with a tube that is mounted to the airframe that the wings can slide on then be screwed or locked in place.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:16 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
How about this then???
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
hell you dont need no help that looks great. I cant wait to see this thing fly. you may even get me interested. but I would go with a 30" ws version. i love me some micro. lol
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Can't see the pics too well DD decided to colour my screen with her favourite pencils earlier while I was distracted lol...
I made a classic school boy error yesterday while skinning the wing centre section, lets say I went against the grain, had to completely rebuild it.
There is a slight twist in the VT but should be able to pull that out when I skin the tail, either that or shave a little off the one side, it's only a couple of mm.
Apart from that it's not been too stressful....
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:06 PM
Division of Improvement
Tirol AUTRIA
Joined Apr 2008
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
hell you dont need no help that looks great. I cant wait to see this thing fly. you may even get me interested. but I would go with a 30" ws version. i love me some micro. lol
I agree on that - a micro would be very nice .lol

Ugly Duckling
:Your doing a good job !subscribed !
Markus A. is offline Find More Posts by Markus A.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
OK time for an update....

I managed to get more glue on my hands than I did on the bird today, I chopped off the nose and mounted a solid piece of balsa, if you are thinking of building this, now would be a good time to fit a motor mount, boarded out the cockpit ready for mounting electrics which I should be ordering this week, I double skinned the vertical stabilizer, one for extra strength and two to correct the slight twist, both worked out well, and finally I have formed the rudder entirely from balsa, no foam here, I thought I would have a practice in preparedness for constructing the wings....
Ok now I'm scared, this is my first attempt at building wings, the first problem I am going to encounter is the fact that when I mounted the wing centre, I managed to misalign it by a mm, so I am going to have to take that into consideration when constructing the wings. Apart from that the only thing go wrong was a bad piece of balsa near the nose that decided to start disintegrating as I was glueing it, I managed to salvage it just about, bit of sanding and it should be ok...
Any questions just ask...
Enough of my ramblings, here are some more pics...>

Oh forgot to mention put her on the scales she is coming out just shy of 110grms at the moment...
Last edited by Ugly Duckling; Aug 29, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:41 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
OK more reinforcement for the tail which also doubles up as a mount for the rear wing, started constructing the main wings also, and my servos have arrived. Well pleased only ordered them yesterday.
Need to head to the model shop tomorrow for some balsa to cover the wings and a few other bits and bobs.....
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:23 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
looking good Keep it up. waiting for maiden flight
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:33 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Not sure if I am putting this wing together right. I want to bury the servo in the wing and just have a hole for the horn to stick out, but still need my receiver before I can test the servos are working before committing.

The dowel is real nice fit into the wing though, and seems rigid enough, it is nice and square also which I was really worried about. I used lighter balsa on the wings and this one is coming in at 44 grms so far.

I recon the build is going to be around 300-350 grms in total. I have seen an epp fox just a little smaller than this on tinternet, and that was weighing in at 425 grms.

I ordered some 1m radio active bowden cables with links today for the rudder and elevator, should be here by next week, hopefully they are up to the job.

Should be somewhere near finished by the end of next week, lets also hope the weather holds out....

Any suggestions on wing construction would be welcome...
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
personally I would make a removeable plank to cover the servo. Maybe held in by a couple screws or some sort of latch and screw to hold it in place. that way if there ever is trouble with the servo it would be an easy fix. rather than cutting the balsa to remove the servo. also easy to design a door with a slot for the servo arm.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:14 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
Flipping nightmare trying to put the right wing together....
First I tried to make another left wing, had to use my craft knife to disassemble it and flip everything round, I put the wing struts in the wrong place, the balsa skin split and I had a trouble shaping it over the LE, there was a kink which thankfully came straight after a night under load and some extra bracing.

The right wing was 13grms heavier than the left wing and I had to load the the left wing with a steel rod to balance the plane. But apart from that, everything is ok, the wings are 65gms each without the ailerons, (should have been 52grms) total build weight so far 254grms....

I have some old fishing weights the same weight as the electrics, strapped to the front of the cockpit, the CG, is 46mm from the LE. Going to throw her tomorrow to see what she does, still waiting for my receiver and bowden cables, going to make the battery pack up depending on how much extra weight she needs in the front.

Not sure now whether to have bolt on wings and how difficult it would be make them that way. Thanks Theone240 I took your advice and made hatches for the servos.

This project is really coming together now, I'm going to see how well, or not, she flies, and maybe build a proper version now that I have some measurements to work too....
Last edited by Ugly Duckling; Sep 06, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:49 AM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts

OK just test flew her, there is most definitely a weak point in the fuselage, it snapped straight across the joint, easy fix but it's going to need some bracing.
The CG is most definitely way too far forward, she struggled to get her nose up and rolled left just before she hit the ground, slight crack in the wing but nothing serious, going to glue her back together and move the weight back then try again....
Sorry no footage the camera man couldn't keep up with her....

But she did fly, around 20-30 feet before she hit the deck.....

Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:10 PM
Chad
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
so not so swift huh

cant wait for a video. even a crash video is good lol
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:21 PM
Fledgling
Joined Feb 2011
54 Posts
It's all good lol, I will recheck the lateral balance, I have fixed the little mishap, I have moved the CG back about a centimetre, and I will head back out to the field tomorrow to crash her again, I mean see it she goes in a straight line. I will try and capture it on my phone cam....