HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ron101, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,222 Posts
Discussion
1/6 Jet Legend EDF Hawk

I did two flights on the Hawk yesterday. The video is made from the useable footage from those two flights. I had the wrong setting on the camera and it was my buds first time with the new camera. So we will get better footage next time. I was laughing when I edited the video everything I did that was cool was blue sky or blurry, lol, sure Ron.

Jet Legend EDF Hawk (5 min 51 sec)

Flight Report:

The plane tracks very well on the runway, doesnít want to leap in the air. So takeoffs are a non-event. Once in the air the plane needed no trim. The ailerons were too sensitive for my liking at 15mm so I cut back to 12mm for the second flight and liked that better. It cruises well at half power, when the power is off it wants to stop in the airÖlol... You can really feel the drag. Itís no Spark; itís a big heavy scale plane you have to keep up the power. Full throttle it sounds very impressive and moves right along, itís not super fast but fast enough to get a good rush. It may also look slower to me due to its size. The Hawk is very stable even in a good wind. That builds your confidence quickly.

Vertical? Wow! I did about 4 or 5 huge verticals that were missed in the video and it will climb straight out with impressive climb rate, I really didnít expect that form a 23.5 pound plane. It rolls straight and true. I did a slow speed fly by with flaps, also missed on the videoÖ. it needs no mix for full flaps and seems to fly pretty slowly. Both my landings were pretty rough, I was fiddling with the flaps and the larger size was making me fly further out than I normally would. I have to work on that. But even with my bad approaches it seems to land fine with full flaps and a little power.

Flight time was set at 4:00 minutes for each flight; first flight took 4400mah out of 6500mah packs. I was holding too much power at cruise. Second flight seemed better; I cut back on the throttle and landed with 3.82 volts per cell. So I think with some work 4:30 to 5:00 will be the flight time. I just need to get a flight routine that will save some mahs.

The Spin controller and lipos were just warm to the touch after each landing it was about 87 degrees out, the wind was pretty strong about 10 to 15 down the runway.

Overall Iím really happy with the plane, you can see it well in the air, its stable, has great power, sounds awesome, lands nice. I was hoping for a bit more flight time, but that could just be me being a bit nervous with a new plane and holding too much power. I know it took me forever to get this one in the air so thanks for your patience, I hope you enjoy the video and there will be more to come soon. Iíll work with my bud and try and get a better video of a full flight for you guys.

Specs:
1/6 Scale Jet Legend EDF Hawk
23.5 pounds ready to fly
Schubeler DS-94 HST (128mm)
Spin 200 ESC
Hyperion 14s 35c 6500 mah
Futaba Fasst RX, JR servo
2x 2s 3300 life source rx packs
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts