SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Had a late night itch to build something (Flying plank build)

Well, I got home from the airport last night, and I had a urge to build something to fly this weekend. All my other scratch builds resulted in some hack plane that never got finished. My rules for this build were...

1) Had to use what I had available. Start to finish. It is midnight and no hobby stores are open.

2) Had to complete it before I went to bed.

Its game on.

A quick online search for an easy to build plane, and I settled on a plank design. As usual, I never have the material sizes for the plans, so I take a look at the gist of it, and cobble together what I have. Actual build time was approx an hour. Two hours spent digging through materials and parts. I was in bed by 3am.

Bottom fuselage is foam core board by Elmers, with paper on. Elevons are off of a crashed Parkzone Stryker, as are pushrods. Winglets are 1/2" Proformance Foam. Crude KFm4 airfoil is 1/8" Cellfoam 88. Servos, Rimfire and receiver are from a crashed Flatouts Extra 300 I got from Craigslist a long time ago. Battery was purchased long time ago for my RCU Bipe. Rimfire firewall mount is an extra from my RCU Bipe. Lightweight glue of choice is gobs of hot glue (None of that low temp stuff. I live on the edge.) Prop is a 10 X 3.5 slow flyer. ESC is borrowed from my RCU Bipe.

Paint of choice is MonoKote Invisible.

Center of gravity = Yes, it has one.

AUW = Same as it was 10 minutes ago. Battery did get a little heavier cause it is full of electrons now.

Flight expectations = Not real high. Seems a little tail heavy to me. No way to make it more nose heavy.

I'm gonna go ram this thing into the ground and report the results. Wave goodbye to it.
monel_funkawitz is offline Find More Posts by monel_funkawitz
Last edited by monel_funkawitz; Aug 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
It flew about as well as I figured a non planned motor strapped to a piece of foam would fly.

It was REALLY tail heavy. Massive elevator to keep any flight, which resulted in high rates and lots of flip overs. Longest flight probably 10 seconds. Velcro peeled off foam board disconnecting battery. Lots of nose dives. Only damage was a "doinked" corner and motor mount broke free.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:14 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
While the motor has broken off, might be a good time to add a small fuselage of sorts on the front to extend the motor and help balancing ... It should fly fine once balanced ... and you still may need a little up trim (reflex) ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
That is the plan, atleast. Where should COG be on a flat wing like this? About 1/4 distance from LE?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:48 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Yep, around 25% ... I always bring a little modeling clay (ballast ) along just for testing purposes ..
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw