SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Same here, I fly with mostly half power to 2/3s and I can squeeze out 15 minutes, although I only did that a couple of times due to too many missed approaches at the beginning. I get 12 minutes with room to spare, the batteries test to 3.7v to 3.8v per cell after. I'm not sure why you would get a shut down after 4 minutes.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Zork,

Similar to some others here. My motor is stronger than stock and should draw more than stock with 11.x 5.5e prop. My results:

1800mah = 7 minutes

2200mah= 8-9 min

My timer goes off, then I circle for approach so my flight times may actually be a minute or two longer, batteries usually test near 3.75V per cell after a flight with mixed throttle settings.

You may want to try a different battery supplier next time and compare results. Get mine from Headsuprc based in Florida.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-30C-EZ/Detail
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old May 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
How hard is it to remove the cowl? I'd like to remove the ESC from the plane so I can switch from the HXT 3.5mm connector to EC3's as that is what is on the batteries we will be using.

I've read it used to be hard, but now it's not as hard since they use tape not glue. Is that true?
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
but now it's not as hard since they use tape not glue. Is that true?
Don't know, mine is older and the cowl removed easy .... I slammed it nose first into the dirt from 30' high and it loosened it right up
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old May 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
It's not hard, it's held in place with some tape or glue, can't remember, but it's supposed to slide on and off, you just need to pry it loose. twist side to side lightly until it slowly gets looser.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:05 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
Good to know, thanks.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Creapy D.
do a search in this forum, someone posted good instructions with photos about removing the cowl without damaging anything.

Also, while you are at it, check the position wher ethe ESC is. mine came from the factory with the ESC stuck in a position where instead of being in the airflow it blocked it. luckily I picked it up before I had issues with it.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old May 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Anyone want to try to go far a record flight time with the Sensei? Since a little whittling on the bottom rear of the battery compartment for my single pack I have went back to my twin packs. With both 3sx2.2 packs in there there's plenty of room for another 1 or 2. I'm sure I can fly 1 hr with 3sx8.8.

To beat me you should run a pack in the drop bay with a parachute and some careful switch engineering run the first pack and then drop it out the bottom. I know it is silly. I'm sure I'll never do it. I MAY fly with 3 packs though and try to get an hr.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old May 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Also fly the Sensei with the 2200,25c battery, as a beginner, seldom except for
takeoff fly at much more than 2/3 throttle. I am lucky to get 4 minutes of
flight before power down. This is with several batteries. Don't know how
you manage to get 8 minutes and still have 50% left ? ? ?
Zork

Something not adding up here and I hope your packs aren't on the way out. My first guess is that perhaps your packs are very much out of balance. An indicator would be puffiness in them.

In case you didn't know : A fully charged pack shall be around 12.6 volts and a discharged pack shall be around 11.1 volts RESTING. It is an easy thing to check if you haven't already.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old May 16, 2012, 06:03 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
He may be using the supplied charger which is absolutely terrible and almost destroyed my battery. It's the only thing I can see. I upgraded motor and more agressive prop and my times are still minimum 12 minutes.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
How hard is it to remove the cowl? I'd like to remove the ESC from the plane so I can switch from the HXT 3.5mm connector to EC3's as that is what is on the batteries we will be using.

I've read it used to be hard, but now it's not as hard since they use tape not glue. Is that true?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=671
ChoppedHam is offline Find More Posts by ChoppedHam
Old May 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi All,
tomorrow and Sunday my boy and I will be attending one of the biggest fly-inns of the many clubs in South Africa.

we have full use of a full scale airflield and each year it is a great spectacle.
Obviously we will also do some flying ourselves.

I'll post some photos when we're back.

I hope you all have a great weekend with good flying !

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old May 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
Sensei arrived yesterday. It was not packed the greatest: each piece was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and tossed in the box. But it appears to be in good condition. we'll start putting it together tonight.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,761 Posts
Quote:
Sensei arrived yesterday. It was not packed the greatest: each piece was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and tossed in the box. But it appears to be in good condition. we'll start putting it together tonight.
yeah in spite of knowing the dimensions and picking up mine from my LHS i was under the misconception that it was packed a la HZ SC. was pretty surprised myself. but i guess they know their packaging.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
Horizon does a fantastic job of packaging their planes. Flyzone..... not so much. I've purchased a couple flyzone planes before, they were damaged in package and I returned them.