SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,868 Posts
Decided to go with the 10 x 5 after all. This plane is already too fast for me
I know some folks say it doesn't have enough power and they're probably right. But its haulin' for me.

However, I currently slapped on a 10x3.8 SF on it. Haven't tried it yet, just picked these up today at the LHS. I'm fine with the speed in the air, but I need it to get just a bit slower for the landings. Thought the prop may help a bit too.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
This thread has been quiet for the last couple days so I am posting my Sensei activity. I now have nearly 2 hours of flight logged with the plane still standard except for the APC 10X5 prop and Dubrow 3.5 inch Tread Lite tires. So far no problems except for one day the plane showed tendecies to being a tree hugger.

I was lucky. The right wing clipped a branch very high up on a 50' tree and the plane did a roll all the way down and ended up on top of a bush. No climbing required.

I really enjoy the landings and am experiencing a roll out of about 20 - 30 feet after touchdown. Probably because of the large tires. I am enjoying this so much I should probably get a release from my cardiologist for having soo much fun.

Below is a video I made of a landing with my 808 key chain camera velcrowed to the bill of my hat.

Hope you are all having as much fun as I am!

Roger

Sensei Landing Short.wmv (0 min 23 sec)
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I still haven't fixed mine but I miss her. She sits complete minus battery and a few servos. I have recently become UM obsessed if for no other reasoning than the low battery cost.

I am starting a new job and I promise I will make her fly again.

That landing video made me miss her even more. Such a beautiful flying plane.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
I still haven't even flown mine yet. Keep taking the Champ out and spending time on the flight sim. It's the whole getting over the first scratch bit. Hate to crash/scratch/wreck it when it looks so nice. But I have to face the music and just do it. Maybe this weekend.
neff2k is offline Find More Posts by neff2k
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Go out when its calm and use dual rates.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Rightfly,
Great landing!

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Rightfly,
Great landing!

Brgds,
Danny
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately a few have been less than on the video. But I am getting more comfortable with 4ch and the Sensei as I am able to get flight time. The winds have been horrible here for the last few weeks so the times are too few and too far apart.

Roger
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Roger,
this is a trainer and that what it's there for, to learn with. anyone who tells you that he never has l"less than perfect" landings (in our club we call it "when you commit landing") rest assure that he (she?) is lying.

The Sensei is very robust and forgiving, and the more we fly the better we get.

BTW, that was still a great landing!

Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Danny
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
81 Posts
Oh, yeah! Great landing there Rightfly. It's been weeks now since I've been out to the field. I'm envious. I must get back out there. Maybe this weekend, just so much of my other life taking up all my free time.
Sykon is offline Find More Posts by Sykon
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Don't get discouraged, I could be doing perfect landings for days at a time and then I get these days where no matter what I try the sensei bounces like it's trying to clear a hurdle. I can be coming in for the smoothest slowest landing in the world and just as it touches down, BOING!! up it goes. This plane is just like that, it's a bit funny, but in the end it all goes to making you that much better.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Sykon,

Thanks for the compliment. I know how it is having other things first and we have had such windy weather its frustrating getting good flying weather when you are committed elsewhere. I recently voluntered to help out another church with some financial work and the time there always seems to occur during perfect flying conditions.

Good luck getting some fly-time.

Roger
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Kawi,

I get those bounces too, but not as bad with the Dubro tiress I have on the plane, they are really soft. I have had some "nose gear bending" landings and I think I get over anxious to flare the nose too soon and then the main gear touch and with the nose pointed up the bounce occurs and the plane tries to go airborne again. Just my thought, but more practice will help me resolve that I hope, at least thats my plan. Actually I enjoy doing landings and double the fun when you get a really good one.

Roger
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
Finally took the Sensei out today and had a lot of fun. Well at least till the landings. One landing was into the alphalpha field which did not fare too well for the nose landing gear. Brought it in and fixed that. Took it back out later and had a couple great landings but then bounced on the last one which ended up bending the front landing gear all over again. So all in all for my first flight with that big of a plane I would say a very successful day! Just crazy how much room it needs to land though. You guys were definitely not kidding.
neff2k is offline Find More Posts by neff2k
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neff2k View Post
Finally took the Sensei out today and had a lot of fun. Well at least till the landings. One landing was into the alphalpha field which did not fare too well for the nose landing gear. Brought it in and fixed that. Took it back out later and had a couple great landings but then bounced on the last one which ended up bending the front landing gear all over again. So all in all for my first flight with that big of a plane I would say a very successful day! Just crazy how much room it needs to land though. You guys were definitely not kidding.
Congratulations neff2k. I will bet your Champ will have a good rest for awhile. The Sensei is just so much fun to fly my old stand by, a Flylite, sits gathering dust.

Don't worry about the nose gear mine has been bent back and to one side quite a few flights ago. As long as it still taxis and lands straight I will leave it alone until I can consistently pull off those great feel good landings.

Probably the only thing that may need checking is the rudder/steering servo. Other posters have changed it from a plastic gear to metal. So far mine seems ok. But I do check it after a rough landing.

Glad you got the Sensei in the air.

Roger
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Neff2K,
Congrats!

Brgds,
Danny