HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like you should speak to the shop where you bought it.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Nov 2011
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
After flying it and seeing the amount of deflection to the right Brad checked
the weight of the wing, Two scales and the left wing at the tip was two
oz. heavier than the right. We have not flown it to see what it does now.
We flew the Tower trainer we converted yesterday.
Hi Kimber

I have never had an issue like that on the Discovery (Sensei), I have had that on a Skysurfer that I have and I had to embed about 2oz of lead in one wingtip before I could fly it. Have you actually checked the wings when they are apart (held them up to each other to check that they look the same and are the same dimensions)?

Regardless of whether they are different weights or different dimensions, you should get in touch with your vendor.
dandos23 is offline Find More Posts by dandos23
Last edited by dandos23; Apr 10, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Gulio,
you should fly slow, but with the nose in level pitch.
Flying slow with a nose up attitude can invite a stall, particularly if the batteries are somewhat depleted at the end of a flight and the burst of throttle you are relying on to save you from the stall may not be powerfull enough (or not there at all?)

A VERY SLIGHT nose up is OK, but IMO any more than 10-15 degrees nose up when flying slow can be risky, especially if this is your real approach and you have little or no altitude to recover.

The trick is to fly the plane slow, but level.

Brgds,
Danny
Yep, I found exactly this out. Thanks. (still practicing lots) It's fun.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandos23 View Post
Hi Kimber

I have never had an issue like that on the Discovery (Sensei), I have had that on a Skysurfer that I have and I had to embed about 2oz of lead in one wingtip before I could fly it. Have you actually checked the wings when they are apart (held them up to each other to check that they look the same and are the same dimensions)?

Regardless of whether they are different weights or different dimensions, you should get in touch with your vendor.
We are going to see how it flies and if there is still a problem we will contact
Tower. With full right trim and a couple clicks of right rudder it flew nicely.
We are going to wait for a calmer day, it was a bit gusty the day we flew it.

Brad is doing some tuning on the Tower trainer and is going to put the
Tiger Moth together before we go flying again.

We have a family situation that limits our flying time.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Hi all. I just finished reading all 78 pages (whew) and have a whole list of useful information. Thanks.
I would like some tips on reinforcing though - like tape on the wings, parts of the fuselage, cowl, etc. I have read posts where others have said there is no need for it (bostomper asking Pittspecial on page 4). I still feel I would need to reinforce being a beginner - I know that seasoned pilots may not need to reinforce. I have taped part of my cub's wings, fuselage, cowl, and it has been helpful. I read about skewering the cowl and bought some skewers (haven't taken the cowl off yet, will wrestle with it in the next few days I imagine). Any other tips though?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
Hi all. I just finished reading all 78 pages (whew) and have a whole list of useful information. Thanks.
I would like some tips on reinforcing though - like tape on the wings, parts of the fuselage, cowl, etc. I have read posts where others have said there is no need for it (bostomper asking Pittspecial on page 4). I still feel I would need to reinforce being a beginner - I know that seasoned pilots may not need to reinforce. I have taped part of my cub's wings, fuselage, cowl, and it has been helpful. I read about skewering the cowl and bought some skewers (haven't taken the cowl off yet, will wrestle with it in the next few days I imagine). Any other tips though?
Rule #1! (NASCAR):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote:
I just finished reading all 78 pages
Now read the FunCub thread and we will put you in for Sainthood.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
No need to reinforce it, if you crash it, you fix it then.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:18 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
No need to reinforce it, if you crash it, you fix it then.
So I shouldn't bother with the nose either then I'm guessing?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,664 Posts
Quote:
I would not worry. I allowed my SENSEI to Water Dart into a Brackish Lake adjacent to our RC Club field. Nothing except the propeller broke and it fell from 80 feet up in a spiral manner (Nose down in a spin).

I had partial throttle when it hit and the airframe did not brake!!

Do not sweat and just allow the model to land without moving those sticks so much!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi cmdl ,
Welcome.

As others have said, put the Sensei together, check the COG and control surfaces, charge the battery and have fun flying it.

I assume that this is your first plane. If this is the case, I strongly recommend that you get an experienced RC flyier to help you with the maiden and the first few flights. You will know when you're ready to fly on your own. Flying is great fun but can be daunting wihtout prior experience.

Too many people who buy their first model never carry on flying because they try to fly on their own, crash and get despondent.

If you do not have a friend that can help, contact a flying club near you. As far as I know all clubs offer instruction to new members without any fees other than the membership fees.

Brgds,
Danny
Last edited by Danny_l; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Thanks guys.
@Pitt - I will keep it in mind not to get an itchy finger.
@Danny - I fly a HZ supercub so this is my 2nd. But the cub has no ailerons and is also a "plane that flies itself".
Appreciate all the encouragement and I will go ahead and try it out and as you said I will check the COG and control surfaces.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
sounds like you are allready for it then.

One more word of caution; do a proper and thorough pre-flight.

forgetting to plug the ailerons or plugging them wrong way around is easier than one thinks, and many people have had crashes that would have been saved if a good pre-flight was done.

Best is if you stand behind the plane when you check, so you can see that all controls move in the correct way.

As you have read, this plane likes to glide when landing. read up on the tips that some of us have given and practice HIGH up. it will make things easier when you are bringing it in for landing. Also, try to have your first few flights in a place where you have ample free space for approach, and in case you have to "go around".

And off course, don't forget to tell us how it went

Brgds,

Danny
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Any other tips though?
Tie the battery hatch to an ESC lead.

The wing is pretty thin at the rear tip so I have taped my wing tips. Haven't needed it yet but there it is.
ChoppedHam is offline Find More Posts by ChoppedHam
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedHam View Post
Tie the battery hatch to an ESC lead.

The wing is pretty thin at the rear tip so I have taped my wing tips. Haven't needed it yet but there it is.
Appreciate the tips.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Don't just appreciate them, tape them.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi