HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:34 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I usually set my time to 12 minutes but often exceed that. I have never run out of power and usually the packs read about 3.6 or 3.7. I fly semi aggressively, I don't glide around,
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,

For what it's worth, I have done so far about 50 flights with the Sensei and here's what I do.

At the moment we are in summer here, so in order to avoid thermal cut-outs and battery drainage I usually land afer 8-9 minutes. usually there's still 40-25% left in the battery, and I preferr it this way.

I have had 2 dead-sticks due to thermal cut-outs and that's enough for me..

When winter comes I'll have to experiment and see.

I have several batteries and a charger that I run from a small battery or the car battery, so I immediately put the used batt to charge. all I need is a quick battery swap and I'm ready for take off.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Jan 26, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
Securing Battery

I have added a couple small pieces of velcro to the rounded horizontal surfaces in the compartment. That gives me 3 points of velcro contact & keeps the battery secure. This is my first post so hopefully the photo attachment uploads OK. Like most I have had to remove the cowl to straighten the motor mount. I reattach it simply by taping on the outside with clear packing tape. I can get the cowl back off in seconds.

I have not had a chance to fly with this yet but I just mounted a small video camera in the drop compartment. I'm anxious to see what my aerial videos will look like but weather has not cooperated here in the Super Bowl city.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalexa View Post
I have added a couple small pieces of velcro to the rounded horizontal surfaces in the compartment. That gives me 3 points of velcro contact & keeps the battery secure. This is my first post so hopefully the photo attachment uploads OK. Like most I have had to remove the cowl to straighten the motor mount. I reattach it simply by taping on the outside with clear packing tape. I can get the cowl back off in seconds.

I have not had a chance to fly with this yet but I just mounted a small video camera in the drop compartment. I'm anxious to see what my aerial videos will look like but weather has not cooperated here in the Super Bowl city.
Hi Mpalexa and welcome to RCG as well as this thread. There is a lot of information being shared here.

I think you may find with 3 sides of the battery making contact with the velcro strips might be challenging to remove and insert. I am still using the one point contact on the side of the battery letting it lay flat against the front of the fuse. Sometimes I have to fight a little with the one velcro strip to remove or insert the battery.

I am curious on how you will mount the camera and perhaps you could post some pictures. Also, sorry I won't be in Indy in February since the green and gold let a game get away from them.

Good flying and hope you like the Sensei

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi,

For what it's worth, I have done so far about 50 flights with the Sensei and here's what I do.

At the moment we are in summer here, so in order to avoid thermal cut-outs and battery drainage I ususally land after 8-9 minutes. usually there's still 40-25% left in the battery, and I preferr it this way.

I have had 2 dead-sticks due to thermal cut-outs and that's enough for me..

When winter comes I'll have to experiment and see.

I have several batteries and a charger that I run from a small battery or the car battery, so I immediately put the used batt to charge. all I need is a quick battery swap and I'm ready for take off.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny,

Exactly what I do with my model and still completely STOCK.

I fly with the Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs and do not go over 10 minutes max duration.

Flying with the Park Zone 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 does give the model some additional margin (duration) but, I am very conservative with all my Li-POLYs and land way before the lower limit "or" the point where you no longer have power and thus cut-off is reached.

Discharging (Under Load) Li-POLYs consistently only reduces the Cycle Life of the pack. I aim for lots of cycles thereby land way before any extreme discharge event (Voltage at Rest measurement).

Regards,
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Similar idea here, set my timer to 8 minutes and after it goes off I feel there is 2 minutes left to get it on an approach pattern. Usually landing with 10 minutes fly time and when i charge the 3S -2200mah battery it usually takes 1000-1100ma to bring it back up to 12.6V.

Like some have mentioned, like to go easy on my packs. I hate the velcro and usually put them in so the velcro I installed on the packs doesn't even touch the velcro in the plane :-) Gentle loops and rolls will not toss it around much.

Been windy here the last couple of days so i've been bored enough to install my metal geared servo for the nose wheel and rudder.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Immelguy,
you actually clarified what I do.
I fly till the 8 minute timer goes then land it.

now that you mention it, I certainly need to put a metal-geared servo on the nose-wheel/rudder, I land on gravel / rough grass and often I need to reset the position of the servo.

Cheers,
Danny
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
My stock servo wasn't stripped but thought I'd change it while it could be used for some other planes.

There is about 12 guys that show up at our airstrip on non windy mornings ... 3 of us have a Sensei in the hangar. Some of the regulars are now suggesting this plane to onlookers that take an interest in buying a first plane. Lands fantastic.

Sort of spoiling me because my others are somewhat more difficult to grease a landing.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Immelguy,
try checking the CG on any plan you are struggling to "grease" on landings.
some planes fly (and land) amazingly better when the CG is correct.

Brgds,
Danny
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, ND, Dickinson
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Flew the Sensei today in North Dakota in January. Wind was about 5 mph little bit of clouds and no snow on the ground. First flight of the Sensei since i bought it and it flies like a glider, it is so easy to fly and has so much bouyancy in the air. Flew about 5-6 minutes on the 11.1 v 2200 mah and about 4 on the 1800 mah battery. Very rare day in ND to fly so it probably won't be until spring til she flies again. Hope that groundhog doesnt see his shadow. also thanks everyone for all the info and the tips on the Sensei. Without this site I think my first flight would have ended up alot of trouble without the different motor and some of the other mods. Wings up, Wheels down and happy flying.
bowtie482 is offline Find More Posts by bowtie482
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
A lot of people here recomend the Parkzone 9.5 X 7.5 prop. I can not locate it at any site. Can anyone tell me where it is avaiable or has it been discontinued. Thank you.
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
A lot of people here recomend the Parkzone 9.5 X 7.5 prop. I can not locate it at any site. Can anyone tell me where it is avaiable or has it been discontinued. Thank you.
http://www.rcplanet.com/ParkZone_Pro..._p/pkz1012.htm

http://www.gravesrc.com/PARKZONE_Pro..._p/pkz1012.htm

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1012

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
Gru
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2011
13 Posts
Putting a small piece of drawer liner on the bottom of your battery, or battery compartment helps it from moving and/or sliding around a bit. The drawer liner I'm talking about for those that don't know about is the sort of weave patterned rubbery, but sticky (no adhesives on it) liner that comes in rolls that you have to measure and cut out to put in your drawers (kitchen, or tool) that keep everything in place and from sliding around. If you never heard of it I'm sure your wives have. Its probably in your kitchen drawers right now you guys just haven't noticed. Hope I helped if even just a little. Jose
Gru is offline Find More Posts by Gru
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Thanks Pittspecial. Is the 1013 the right number for the T28 Adapter?
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Thanks Pittspecial. Is the 1013 the right number for the T28 Adapter?
Almost, the complete part number is: PKZ1011

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...trojan-PKZ1011

RCG Plus Member