Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
It should pretty much handle takeoffs and landings like this:

HobbyZone Super Cub Highlights Full Speed FlyBys, Take Offs, Landings, Crashes (7 min 40 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Do you think I should try flying it with the dual rate off?

Normally I would just go ahead and try it, but like I said, it's just teetering on loss of control as it is. I don't think that will help with the apparent problem I'm having with the stability of the longitudinal axis, but maybe it will numb down the whole tempermental flight I'm feeling from it. I'm a bit nervous, I have never crashed a plane before, I don't want to crash this one, I really like it.

But, if everything else seems to check out on the ground, there's not much else I can do.

One small thing of note, it turns sharply to the right when it's rolling, even with the rudder perfectly centered. I have to give a fair amount of left rudder to straighten out the wheels. Probably has nothing to do with it, small adjustment, but there's nothing else I can see that's not right.
I fly my SENSEI with a 72Mhz manual (non-Computerized) super narrow band Transmitter and do NOT have any sillyness of Expo / Dual rates of any kind.

I would highly recommend for you to seek some professional assistance before you go and fly your model again.

There is a limit to trying and figure out some issues through these Threads!

Best of luck!
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:34 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
SO!!!

I decided to give it another shot, the wind was almost nil and the skies were clear, the conditions outside were too perfect.

I spent about an hour on the a/c, I fixed the nose wheel, I removed the servo screw and adjusted it to be straight. Sounds kind of silly but I think a front wheel that is turned too much in flight might push the plane to one side just slightly, especially on such a light
a/c. Remember, I was all out of ideas. Then I made sure to fix the battery to be perfectly centered when installed, and I also noticed that one
of the wingtips was shaped differently from the other. Kind of what Carlos mentioned. I molded it by hand until both sides were the same. May have
been a shipping thing, who knows. I didn't use the dual rate, figured I might need all the throw the plane has to offer, trimmed it all out and then I
strung it up from the nose to the tail. Something we used to do with the gas plane. The plane was perfectly balanced on both axis. There was no reason for it not to fly
straight. Headed out to the feild, started it up and took off. This time the plane flew much better.

HOWEVER, once again, I kept noticing how underpowered it was. The whole time I was battling to keep altitude. Not to mention the supercub again, but even the
old gas plane I had, I could climb straight up and lose the plane, but not this one, if I tried to climb too long it would stall, I had to climb nice and easy,
low angle of attack. So I'm flying around doing patterns in the field, when all of a sudden after about 4 or 5 minutes, I hear a "tock" and the prop just stops spinning.
It just so happened to be flying overhead at a rather low altitude when it happened as well, so I had no choice but to continue straight and land pretty much
wherever was ahead of me, which happened to be a decent field. I floated it down and gently landed it. I went to get the plane wondering how is it possible that a
fresh battery could die in a 3rd of the time. (this time I was using a 2200 eflite lipo.I bought a spare battery fromt the lhs. Same specs all around as the hobbyzone one,
just 2200 instead of 2100)

When I pick up the plane, I can smell something that's not right. I was with a friend, and we weren't sure if it was a burning smell or just a hot motor smell. The controls
were working, but not the motor, which is normal when the battery dies. So I installed my 2nd battery, just to check it out. Turn it on and right away all controls are working, except for the motor, again. I try to see if the prop will turn, and I hear about 2 or 3 beeps of different tones, all of a sudden, the prop tries to turn over just a bit, then nothing.

All of a sudden, SMOKE!!!!! pouring out of the engine like crazy! I reach down and pull the plug, but the smoke is still going. My friend starts to turn the prop by hand and the smoke starts to subside. A few seconds later the smoke is gone.

I called the hobby store and I'm like what just happened? They had no idea either, but told me to bring it in and maybe we could do something with the warranty and change the motor, so right now, I'm planeless again!

I KNEW something was wrong with this plane. Ok, it didn't fly straight, but I managed to fix that, but this plane had a motor issue from the start, I am sure of it.
It did not fly like the others. I watched the videos, Carlos's sensei, plus about a dozen others, They all took off with power and climbed stong. Mine did not take off
like that. Not at all, and the whole time the plane was more interested in sinking than climbing. I would have to fly with almost full throttle just to keep straight and
level. I've never had to fly with full power on any other plane. Once up to altitude, you could put it to about half and float around. Not this one.

You needed all the power just to stay airborne.

So, there you have it. The sensei is dead. for now.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Sorry about your issues with the sensei. I maidened mine today it is sweet!!! Took off very smoothly into a 10 mph wind and handled it well. I was concerned that it might be tail heavy, actually the opposite as it was nose heavy and needed several clicks of trim. 2 clicks of aileron and it was flying hands off at 1/2 throttle into the wind. It handled very easily, but I tried no aerobatics, just circles and figure 8's around the field. Kawi you must have gotten a bad motor, as mine had plenty of power. Warranty?? Had to make 3 approaches to land as it does tend to sail, but set it down nicely on final approach by coming in at a lower speed. For me this plane is everything that it is cracked up to be. Can,t believe there isn't more discussion on it as it is a great trainer. Maybe start a thread in the beginners section.--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Good to hear man. I can tell even though mine has issues that it is otherwise one sweet plane. This is what everybody says. You mention that you were able to fly hands free, well that right there speaks volumes, it's something that I struggled to do but ultimately could not. I had to be on top of it every second. How much power did you need to hold an altitude?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
kawi--1/2 throttle, even into a 10 mph wind. Seems like you should get what you need for free from whereever you bought it. Good luck---Bo
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
oh yeah--couple of older very good pilots were at the flying field and they were impressed with it --felt it would be an excellent trainer for anybody learning to fly--Bo
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
Sorry about your issues with the sensei. I maidened mine today it is sweet!!! Took off very smoothly into a 10 mph wind and handled it well. I was concerned that it might be tail heavy, actually the opposite as it was nose heavy and needed several clicks of trim. 2 clicks of aileron and it was flying hands off at 1/2 throttle into the wind. It handled very easily, but I tried no aerobatics, just circles and figure 8's around the field. Kawi you must have gotten a bad motor, as mine had plenty of power. Warranty?? Had to make 3 approaches to land as it does tend to sail, but set it down nicely on final approach by coming in at a lower speed. For me this plane is everything that it is cracked up to be. Can,t believe there isn't more discussion on it as it is a great trainer. Maybe start a thread in the beginners section.--Bo
Bo,

Congrats on your maiden of your SENSEI!

I almost bought the Flyzone FW-190 but, my Hobby Budget has been broken for a long time now and I just could not. If you want to see a fantastic looking and very well made Warbird then, check out the Flyzone FW-190!

Yes, Flyzone is slowly (at times very slowly) getting recognition where they deserve. Motors fail from all brands so, lets hope our friend gets a replacement!

Take care!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
kawi--1/2 throttle, even into a 10 mph wind. Seems like you should get what you need for free from whereever you bought it. Good luck---Bo
Thanks, I took it back to the hobby shop like they asked me, after looking at it, the guy said it's not the motor, he's sure it's the esc. Just sitting there on the counter, they could smell the burnt component lol. He did a voltage test on both my batteries, he said they were fine, and were both one volt higher than stated, which he said is normal, and well within the esc's limits, so it wasn't the batteries. He asked me to leave it with him and they're going to call me tomorrow to let me know for sure what it is but they said they're going to fix me up one way or another. He said he's pretty sure he can have it back up and running by tomorrow. I sure hope so.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:15 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,137 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I took it back to the hobby shop like they asked me, after looking at it, the guy said it's not the motor, he's sure it's the esc. Just sitting there on the counter, they could smell the burnt component lol. He did a voltage test on both my batteries, he said they were fine, and were both one volt higher than stated, which he said is normal, and well within the esc's limits, so it wasn't the batteries. He asked me to leave it with him and they're going to call me tomorrow to let me know for sure what it is but they said they're going to fix me up one way or another. He said he's pretty sure he can have it back up and running by tomorrow. I sure hope so.
Excellent!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
270 Posts
Quote:
Be sure and post the result. I was doing ground tests on my Sensei to determine flying times at various throttle settings. It wound down rapidly after 3 minutes and smoke started pouring out. The motor windings are black. Motor was very hot, ESC hot, but not too hot it seemed. No obvious damage to the ESC. After cooling off, motor would only run at very low RMS when I did a quick test. Damage appears to be the motor.

While may not be the same issue, symptoms are similar.

Thanks!
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
Be sure and post the result. I was doing ground tests on my Sensei to determine flying times at various throttle settings. It wound down rapidly after 3 minutes and smoke started pouring out. The motor windings are black. Motor was very hot, ESC hot, but not too hot it seemed. No obvious damage to the ESC. After cooling off, motor would only run at very low RMS when I did a quick test. Damage appears to be the motor.

While may not be the same issue, symptoms are similar.

Thanks!
Got any pic's? Just curious that two already have issues with the power system and with brand new models, I am going to assume?

What batteries did you use? The Stock 3-Cell?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:12 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Seattlebuoy, how long have you had it? I too want to know what exact batteries were in the plane when it first started to smoke. I'm going to find out tomorrow for sure what the problem is, maybe it will help you. I got a call today from the hobby shop. They are going to replace both the motor and esc. From what I understand they are both toast. The company gave them the go-ahead to pull a new one off the shelf and swap out the parts. In turn the shop is going to mail them my parts. In my opinion that's awesome. This store and the company really stepped in to correct this.

The guys there say they'll likely find what the root of the problem is when they take it out. Whatever they tell me I'll post it up here for you guys.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
270 Posts
Attached is a picture. You can see the black windings. I did not pull off the heat shrink form the ESC since I may need to make a warranty claim. Battery used was as spec'ed, 11.1V LiPo.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
how many flights did you get in before it happened?