SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
WOW!!! Got the sensei and assembled it. What a beautiful plane. Now have to be patient and wait for decent weather. Thanks for all the help. Would you recommend any tape on the wingtips or the horizontal stab? It is much bigger and heavier than my other models, wish I had seen it earlier this summer.--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
WOW!!! Got the sensei and assembled it. What a beautiful plane. Now have to be patient and wait for decent weather. Thanks for all the help. Would you recommend any tape on the wingtips or the horizontal stab? It is much bigger and heavier than my other models, wish I had seen it earlier this summer.--Bo
Bo,

Tape on wing tips and Horizontal Stab?

No, not at all. Not on my model, at least.

Best of luck on your maiden.

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Sensei broken front landing gear

I was landing the Sensei less than gracefully and the front landing gear struck ground with some force. Now, the front gear spins around and is off-kilter. I suspect it was dislodged from its normal location and from the servo that controls it. Anyone know how to access this location to assess the damage?
ortho123 is offline Find More Posts by ortho123
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
Broke the plastic prop taxing around( have not put it in the air yet). Replaced it with an apc composite 10x5E prop that is made of a composite material or nylon. With adapter it seems to fit well, no wobble that I can notice. It is heavier and stronger than the stock plastic prop. Is there a possible problem using this prop? Also, anybody know the answer to ortho's question? -- thanks--Bo
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Hi, just joined this site because of this plane. I read all the reviews and I just bought and flew the sensei for the first time today. I'm just wondering, has anyone noticed a hard time flying it? Right after takeoff, it seemed to fly a bit erratically, it kept trying to dip to the left, and a couple of times did a complete left dive into a loop at low altitude. Then quite a few times after that i actually lost control of it as it went upside down rolling over, I saved it every time but just.

(I'm kind of new to this. I've only ever flown the supercub hobbyzone, which flew much better imo, and many years ago I used to fly a high wing arf gas powered the same size as the sensei, but that's it.)

I did not feel at all comfortable flying this. I was teetering on crashing the entire time. I even landed it by stalling it out onto a field of tall crop grass because I was sure I'd crash if I tried to land it on the road. I checked the w&b and it's perfect, all the control surfaces line up and work perfectly. I don't get it. This tendency to roll to the left was so pronounced, I was fighting it the whole time, I couldn't even trim it away. It also seemed to lack power, it was constantly decending, even after trimming it. When it first went up, I felt that it was not going to climb out and that I would lose it almost right away, but slowly it made it up there.

I'm know I put it together right, anybody have any input on this?

One thing to note, the battery compartment is huge compared to the battery, I used the velcro but I'm sure there is movement in there, how do you place the battery? Standing up leaning forward right? maybe it's this?

Sorry for the long first post lol, but I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I want to go back up with it but now i'm paranoid.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
kawi-- i'm going to put it up tomorrow for the 1st time, but your post has made me more nervous than a pregnant nun. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.--Bo
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:21 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Every post that has some kind of unexpected experience do I never see if the person who is posting the bad situation or issue followed all the instructions within the manual.

Additionally, if the person is "NEW AT THIS" do I never see any indication that they seeked professional help such as an Instructor at a RC Club "or" someone at the hobby store to check all control surfaces and radio links.

I believe we know what I am referring, right!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Broke the plastic prop taxing around( have not put it in the air yet). Replaced it with an apc composite 10x5E prop that is made of a composite material or nylon. With adapter it seems to fit well, no wobble that I can notice. It is heavier and stronger than the stock plastic prop. Is there a possible problem using this prop? Also, anybody know the answer to ortho's question? -- thanks--Bo
No problem
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:25 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
(I'm kind of new to this. I've only ever flown the supercub hobbyzone, which flew much better imo, and many years ago I used to fly a high wing arf gas powered the same size as the sensei, but that's it.)

I did not feel at all comfortable flying this. I was teetering on crashing the entire time. I even landed it by stalling it out onto a field of tall crop grass because I was sure I'd crash if I tried to land it on the road. I checked the w&b and it's perfect, all the control surfaces line up and work perfectly. I don't get it. This tendency to roll to the left was so pronounced, I was fighting it the whole time, I couldn't even trim it away. It also seemed to lack power, it was constantly decending, even after trimming it. When it first went up, I felt that it was not going to climb out and that I would lose it almost right away, but slowly it made it up there.

I'm know I put it together right, anybody have any input on this?

One thing to note, the battery compartment is huge compared to the battery, I used the velcro but I'm sure there is movement in there, how do you place the battery? Standing up leaning forward right? maybe it's this?

Sorry for the long first post lol, but I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I want to go back up with it but now i'm paranoid.
First, I totally disagree with your assessment on comparing this model with the Hobby-Zone Super Cub. The Super Cub is still a Brushed motor in a cheap plastic Gearbox without any mesh adjustment. The Super Cub does not have any re-enforcement spar within its wing assembly so, those cheap plastic wing struts are fully functional and mandatory. Also, the Super Cub still comes with a Integrated Electronics package for cost savings for mass production such that if you want a different type of power system you would need to remove the STOCK integrated Electronics (this is for both the Super Cub of years past that came with 27-Mhz and today's 2.4Giga Spectrum technology).

Second, like I have already posted here, the SENSEI has the most robust inter-locking wing spar system that I have ever seen in this hobby to date. The foam is much better than anything I have seen as well and it is very dense. The model comes with a capable Power System (not a HOT ROD) as it was designed for Training and occasionally FUN factor during a RC CLUB FUN-FLY / FLY-IN event for candy / parachute / streamer drops.

What type and Capacity of a Battery Pack did you use???

If you used anything smaller than the recommended 3-Cell, 2100mAH, Li-POLY don't bother to reply here!

Most of control issues are people using Computer Radios that they do not know how to adjust for Expo etc..etc...

Did you place the controls per the recommended locations on the control horns??????
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Sep 22, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
pitts-- u r definitely a sensei for the sensei-- wish me well tomorrow--Bo
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Thanks Carlos for replying. It was your indepth videos and knowledgeable posts on this airplane that made me sign up here to ask my question/problem with the sensei.

Maybe I didn't mention everything, but I didn't want to include my life story, just the pertinent information.

First, yes i read the entire manual, yes I placed all the wires in the proper horn holes. Yes I trimmed and levelled and measured everything, including the travel of the contol surfaces as was advised in the manual. It was night and I coudn't fly anyway so I went all out on all these details.

The battery was the supplied 2100 lipo, and the radio was the supplied 6 ch tactic 2.4.

I am "new to this", in the sense that I have not flown rc planes for about 8 years. My only experience was a high wing arf that I assembled with a 60cc motor. I flew that plane a lot, under the supervision of a friend of mine who was a real rc plane expert, had founded an rc club and everything. He taught me a lot about these plane, and he saved the plane from many crashes. I became pretty good at flying it until I left it altogether until now.

I am flying this one alone, where I live now, i just don't have access to clubs and intructors. I can fly planes decently enough, but no I am not a pro by any means.

A couple of weeks ago i purchased the supercub. I know it's way inferior in build quality, and did not mean to imply that it is comparable. I only meant that simply from a control pov, i found it so much more stable. I could do anything with it, I could land it anywhere, fly in high winds, fly aerobatics (as much as you can without ailerons), and i only expected that moving up to the sensei, it would be even better, yet it wasn't. It was everything I could do to keep it from flipping over and dive bombing into the ground, and i have tried many planes in the past that were not mine including faster low-wings. This plane did not fly right at all.
This is why I posted here, because i don't get it. I think there may be something wrong with it, or I did something very wrong putting it together. I know it is a very good plane, way better than the supercub.

I did fly it with the dual rate on, so maybe it would be less sensitive otherwise, but that still doesn't explain this tendency to bank and dive. I could get rid of much of the banking, but then I've trimmed the ailerons so much that it flies in yaw almost. Not nice and straight, so i didn't feel I was correcting the situation, just making it worse, albeit more level.

I just don't get it. I was hoping someone else here may have had a similar experience that they may have corrected.

I will try to take it up again tomorrow if there are no winds. It was a bit windy today, but not enough to explain the banking, it did it in all directions.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
pitts-- u r definitely a sensei for the sensei-- wish me well tomorrow--Bo
You will do good!

If you are flying from Grass Field, just allow the model to gain speed and then, pull up. You can not stall her! It is very light and has lots of wing area!

She is a giant Pussy Cat in the air so, go and enjoy!

Make sure you fly the model with the recommended 3-Cell, 2100mAH Li-POLY 'or' 3-Cell, 2200mAH, Li-POLYs to keep the Center-Of-Gravity in check.

Best of luck!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Maybe I didn't mention everything, but I didn't want to include my life story, just the pertinent information.

First, yes i read the entire manual, yes I placed all the wires in the proper horn holes. Yes I trimmed and levelled and measured everything, including the travel of the contol surfaces as was advised in the manual. It was night and I coudn't fly anyway so I went all out on all these details.

The battery was the supplied 2100 lipo, and the radio was the supplied 6 ch tactic 2.4.

I did fly it with the dual rate on, so maybe it would be less sensitive otherwise, but that still doesn't explain this tendency to bank and dive. I could get rid of much of the banking, but then I've trimmed the ailerons so much that it flies in yaw almost. Not nice and straight, so i didn't feel I was correcting the situation, just making it worse, albeit more level.

I just don't get it. I was hoping someone else here may have had a similar experience that they may have corrected.

I will try to take it up again tomorrow if there are no winds. It was a bit windy today, but not enough to explain the banking, it did it in all directions.
Wow! This really puzzles me as well! Assuming that the Center-Of-Gravity is on the mark then, I just don't understand why would the model have this terrible manners?

Check for any un-even Wash-In / Wash-Out on the wing assemblies, especially at the wing tips!

http://www.rcfctoronto.ca/Washout.html

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...es/toronto.htm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Sep 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
pitts-- using an e-flight 2100 mah battery. COG appears spot on-- possibly a bit tail heavy but well within being easy to trim. Flying on a paved rc airfield, so that should not be a problem. Predicted windspeed is 2-5 mph from the north on a north-south runway. Looks like a green light. Only question is pilot skills.LOL. Thanks for all the help u have given.--Bo
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:13 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Wow! This really puzzles me as well! Assuming that the Center-Of-Gravity is on the mark then, I just don't understand why would the model have this terrible manners?

Check for any un-even Wash-In / Wash-Out on the wing assemblies, especially at the wing tips!

http://www.rcfctoronto.ca/Washout.html

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...es/toronto.htm
thanks, I will look into that for sure. The cog is perfect. You can pick it up by putting your fingers on the dots, it doesn't even lean a little forward or back. Do you think I should try flying it with the dual rate off? Normally I would just go ahead and try it, but like I said, it's just teetering on loss of control as it is. I don't think that will help with the apparent problem I'm having with the stability of the longitudinal axis, but maybe it will numb down the whole tempermental flight I'm feeling from it. I'm a bit nervous, I have never crashed a plane before, I don't want to crash this one, I really like it.

But, if everything else seems to check out on the ground, there's not much else I can do.

One small thing of note, it turns sharply to the right when it's rolling, even with the rudder perfectly centered. I have to give a fair amount of left rudder to straighten out the wheels. Probably has nothing to do with it, small adjustment, but there's nothing else I can see that's not right.