HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:30 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Messed up

My kid got to my brand new Sensei before I know what he was doing. He installed the battery, but not the wings and was 'driving' it around the driveway. Well, he gunned it, which made the fuselage flip and damaged the prop. But now the motor only stutters, or turns really slowly. What I want to know is if he killed the motor or the ESC. Any thoughts? Thanks!
JoeJachim is offline Find More Posts by JoeJachim
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJachim View Post
My kid got to my brand new Sensei before I know what he was doing. He installed the battery, but not the wings and was 'driving' it around the driveway. Well, he gunned it, which made the fuselage flip and damaged the prop. But now the motor only stutters, or turns really slowly. What I want to know is if he killed the motor or the ESC. Any thoughts? Thanks!
No telling? This thread is not the ideal place to troubleshoot these kinds of issues and would "highly" recommend to take the model to the nearest Hobby Shop that has someone very knowledgeable with Electric Power Systems and allow them to look it over.

Best of Luck!
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBoater02 View Post
I finally got a successful flight in today. After the replacing the broken prop with a 10 x 5 E I asked a veteran pilot to help me out after a second unsuccessful take off. Once he got it trimmed out he let me know I needed a different prop because he had to keep it at full throttle to stay air borne because it didn't have enough thrust. So I put a 10 x 4.5 slow fly on it and was able to solo with no problems and it had plenty of thrust. This should be a great plane for me now....time to find something to drop from it....
Very good news!

Hope your learning and skills be enhanced while flying this model.

Best of luck,
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
Thanks Carlos!

Raz
JetBoater02 is offline Find More Posts by JetBoater02
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
No telling? This thread is not the ideal place to troubleshoot these kinds of issues and would "highly" recommend to take the model to the nearest Hobby Shop that has someone very knowledgeable with Electric Power Systems and allow them to look it over.

Best of Luck!
Carlos
Thanks for the info. I will try to find a place, but I think the closest 'real' store is 50 miles away. The stores within 15 miles of me are willing to sell me part after part, but don't have any repair suggestions. I just thought since this thread was talking about the SENSEI and everyone had some experience with electrics (I have none) that this problem might have come up before. Thanks
JoeJachim is offline Find More Posts by JoeJachim
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJachim View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try to find a place, but I think the closest 'real' store is 50 miles away. The stores within 15 miles of me are willing to sell me part after part, but don't have any repair suggestions. I just thought since this thread was talking about the SENSEI and everyone had some experience with electrics (I have none) that this problem might have come up before. Thanks
Oh, okay in that case can you see if you can provide a short Video of exactly what is going on with the Power System? If the motor is seen to be moving back and forth but, does not rotate in a complete cycle then, it usually means that one of the three (3) wires have come dislodged.

If the motor is heard to make some ugly noises then, it means that the magnet "or" winding have come lose and usually means a damaged motor.

Either way, I would call the warranty Number within the Manual and just tell em that the motor is not working correctly for some reason if you find that the motor is exhibiting the 2nd condition.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
A great little plane! Although we're all experienced fliers, we had fun with a bit of a contest with yellow foam golf practice balls trying to hit the target. It's also a very relaxing touch-and-go plane [at least ten minutes worth] for the early morning/late evening flights.

My only hitch is that the black windscreen has had some of the paint evaprate leaving the foam exposed. I had left it in direct sun for a while, probably did it. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Super Sunday morning @ Edwards

I was able to arrange for 3 other Buddies to meet up at a fantastic location we affectionately call "EDWARDS" for the simple reason it reminds us of that wide and vast runway area in the West Coast.

Had a great time and was able to fly my Fly Zone Sensei for three wonderful flights and each time deploy the Yellow Streamer over head for pin point landing every time!

A few pictures of my Fly Zone Sensei at EDWARDS!

With a few other models that I brought and flew......

Streamer being Dried......

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:40 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
My only hitch is that the black windscreen has had some of the paint evaprate leaving the foam exposed. I had left it in direct sun for a while, probably did it. Tex.
Tex,

Glad you are having Fun with this model!

My windscreen has not managed to peal off yet but, if it did I usually have on hand some ORACAL Intermediate 651 Adhesive film that would work very well.

http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=184

http://www.multicraftplastics.com/ma...eries_651.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Action Pictures at OMACC on Saturday morning!

David, Like to thank you for taking these Fantastic Pictures of my model!

David Hart (Dwhart24) was kind enough to bring his Digital SLR camera with this large lens:

And took some of the best digital pictures of my Fly Zone Sensei yet!

Take a look:

Take Off Action:

Roll Action:

Turning Action:

Failed Bomb Drop Attempt:

Successful Bomb Drop Action!!!!

You are looking at Two Red Party (Paper) Streamers with Peanut (Food) Weights and one Pin Pong Ball coming down. The 2nd streamer has just made it out from out of the FUSE and is extending to full length.

Low resolution:

High Resolution, unedited version:

As you all can see clearly, this model's wing assembly has a very robust interlocking Spar System that is 2nd to none that I have seen!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
I have ordered the sensei and can't wait to get it. I have seen a couple of posts saying it was tail heavy out of the box and they added weight to the front to balance it. I recently crashed a model that was tail heavy, could not control it at all. How big of a problem has this been for the sensei ? What size battery should I use to avoid a catastrophe on it's maiden. Any other suggestions on getting it ready to maiden? I am a relative newcomer, just started flying this summer. I have 3 models that I fly with mixed results, but I now have enough knowledge to be able to balance a plane on its recomended cog. Is that recommendation accurate? Thanks--Bo.
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:20 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
I have ordered the sensei and can't wait to get it. I have seen a couple of posts saying it was tail heavy out of the box and they added weight to the front to balance it. I recently crashed a model that was tail heavy, could not control it at all. How big of a problem has this been for the sensei ? What size battery should I use to avoid a catastrophe on it's maiden. Any other suggestions on getting it ready to maiden? I am a relative newcomer, just started flying this summer. I have 3 models that I fly with mixed results, but I now have enough knowledge to be able to balance a plane on its recomended cog. Is that recommendation accurate? Thanks--Bo.
Hello Bo,

I flew my Sensei early this morning at my RC Club with very wet grass and it took off with no issues as the Landing gear of this model is much robust than the E-Flite Apprentice!

I have not had any issues with the Center-Of-Gravity and I took it right out of the box and followed all instructions and made sure that after I installed "my" Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLYs it balanced right on the mark per the user manual.

The Stock 10 X 5 propeller does a good job of flying the model and I almost always land the model with Dead Stick once I have the model in a good glide slope and approach towards the landing strip.

I have no idea why others are saying it is Tail Heavy??????

Can you provide the link(s) to where people are professing that it is Tail Heavy so, I can investigate what are the circumstances??

Thanks and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Sep 15, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
" New Flyzone Sensei High Wing 58 Inch Aileron Trainer" -- not sure how to post link--its on wattflyer message board under beginner aircraft. Saw a couple of others but can't find them. I'm just nervous about tail heavy flying, but if I balance it to recommendations probably no problem. Really appreciate the info you provided, thanks again.--Bo
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:03 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
" New Flyzone Sensei High Wing 58 Inch Aileron Trainer" -- not sure how to post link--its on wattflyer message board under beginner aircraft. Saw a couple of others but can't find them. I'm just nervous about tail heavy flying, but if I balance it to recommendations probably no problem. Really appreciate the info you provided, thanks again.--Bo
Bo,

Go back at the WATTFLYER thread as I have posted several replies and found out why PHILLIPMORRIS indicated that his model was TAIL HEAVY, he used a smaller battery pack (3-Cell, 1800mAH, Li-POLY) instead of the recommended Flyzone 3-Cell, 2100mAH, Li-POLY.

I use Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLY and it balances perfectly!!

Also, you can see someone that recently posted a great review of this model up at RC Universe at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1368

His quoted comments about Center-of-Gravity:

Battery Used: Hobbico 3S 11.1V 2100 mAh LiPo

I checked the Center of Gravity (CG) per the instruction manual. Normally, the CG is marked by a measurement from the leading edge of the wing, next to the fuselage. The underside of the wing has been pre-marked, so finding the balance points is easy. For the record, with the battery installed and the plane ready to fly, my Sensei balanced perfectly!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Sep 16, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Pitt--thanks for the info--didn't mean to make an issue where there isn't one. I'm really excited about this model. Your last paragraph reminded me of my HS football coach yelling at me. LOL. Bo