SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:55 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Black friday sale @ tower!

Hey guys!

Tower is having a BLACK FRIDAY SALE and you can save $50 on the Rx-R (Receiver Ready)

Go To:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW8004&P=3
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:02 AM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Oct 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Hey guys!

Tower is having a BLACK FRIDAY SALE and you can save $50 on the Rx-R (Receiver Ready)

Go To:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW8004&P=3

Had my eye on this bird for a while now... and that there's just too good a deal to pass up! Super excited - merry christmas to me!

Very excited to get hands on this plane, been flying the HZ Super Cub for a few months now, and I can fly her ok... This should be a great next step for me.

Thanks to all those who contribute to this thread, there looks to be some great info on here.
hobell is offline Find More Posts by hobell
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:16 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobell View Post
Had my eye on this bird for a while now... and that there's just too good a deal to pass up! Super excited - merry christmas to me!

Very excited to get hands on this plane, been flying the HZ Super Cub for a few months now, and I can fly her ok... This should be a great next step for me.

Thanks to all those who contribute to this thread, there looks to be some great info on here.
The Sensei is much more stable than the Super Cub and I have two Super Cubs and still Love em.

Enjoy!

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
hey guys. im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but i was thinking about the RxR version of this plane. What i would do differently though, is use a lifepo4 battery. i was just wondering, would this battery work in it, or is it too big/ too low of a voltage? if its too low of a voltage, would it still be able to fly?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
hey guys. im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but i was thinking about the RxR version of this plane. What i would do differently though, is use a lifepo4 battery. i was just wondering, would this battery work in it, or is it too big/ too low of a voltage? if its too low of a voltage, would it still be able to fly?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
Spec:
Capacity: 2100mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 9.9v
Discharge: 30C Constant / 40C Burst
Max Charge Rate: 2C
Weight: 218g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 137mm x 45mm x 17mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT-60 Connector

Interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...sphate_battery

Greater Safety and Longer Cycle Life assuming you can have an adjustable Li Charger (Assuming the same Charging Methods of those Li-Ion / Li-POLY take in effect for these newer packs) and then, you need to adjust a lower Voltage level as a final charge cycle due to it's lower Voltage capacity.

I would read up as much as possible on these new Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries over at the Power System section for more specifics.

The SENSEI already suffers from a low STOCK Pitch-Speed Propeller (10 X 5) and using a lower Voltage Flight Battery pack at its peak Off-The-Charger Voltage will result in very disappointing flight characteristics.

My 0.02 cents worth.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I agree , maybe the 10x7 pitch prop would be ok with that 3s pack. You may also be ok with a 4s pack. 3s is a bit less than stock 4s is a bit more than stock. Even I think the sensei is under powered and I would sooner try out the 4s before the 3s even though there's been reports of burned up motors/escs.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:27 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
I agree , maybe the 10x7 pitch prop would be ok with that 3s pack. You may also be ok with a 4s pack. 3s is a bit less than stock 4s is a bit more than stock. Even I think the sensei is under powered and I would sooner try out the 4s before the 3s even though there's been reports of burned up motors/escs.
Good post.....

I would not in anyway go beyond the Maximum Voltage capacity of the STOCK ESC and STOCK Motor.

For 4-Cell operation then, I would buy an Airframe replacement and install your own power system components.

The model's size makes it look like a slow flying model but, I would say that the larger the model the slower it looks but, in actually it is moving at a good clip.

FYI...

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I know there's a chart here in batts/chargers forum comparing the 2 voltages.

Here's a start (if the top voltage is 3.7 volts on these square cells)

3.7 4.2
7.4 8.4
11.1 12.6
14.8 14.8

Nominal

3.3 3.7
6.6 7.4
9.9 11.1
13.2 14.8

Under full load (guessing)

3 3.5
6 7
9 10.5
12 14
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I think I'll just go measure my sensei right now , I have to check a few planes anyways.

Were probably dealing with the 10.5 volts for the lipo and 12 for the (4s) other batt type. Hmm, maybe the 3s wouldn't be too bad after all.

The stock Sensei with stock motor/esc/prop and a single 20C 2.2 pack was 22 amps and the pack maintains about 10 volts with full load. I'm going to say that the 3s pack in question (or a 4s pack) is not a good choice with stock components. I have a few flyzone planes and many of them seem to be borderlined on the motors/esc specs. Just enough to get by. Most users will not have trouble. Increase the pro a bit and you start to have some trouble.

A good combo still might be the 3s pack (if it fits) with the 10x7 prop.
Last edited by gulio; Nov 28, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
okay thanks guys. gulio, but the 10x7 prop would be drawing more power yes? so wouldn't that cause me to buy different electronics?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
okay thanks guys. gulio, but the 10x7 prop would be drawing more power yes? so wouldn't that cause me to buy different electronics?
Not really. David (dbc) performed some static tests with at least two different propellers on the model I bought from him and to this day it is still flying.

10 X 7 will increase AMP draw but, nothing that requires different Electronics unless of course you guys are considering to deviate from the recommended battery cell count and Li Type.

Visit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=94

My personal best propeller "is" the Park Zone 9.5 X 7.5
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Not really. David (dbc) performed some static tests with at least two different propellers on the model I bought from him and to this day it is still flying.

10 X 7 will increase AMP draw but, nothing that requires different Electronics unless of course you guys are considering to deviate from the recommended battery cell count and Li Type.

Visit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=94

My personal best propeller "is" the Park Zone 9.5 X 7.5
okay thanks. and yeah i am thinking of deviating from the recommended Li type...instead of Lithium Polymer, im thinking about Lithium Iron Phosphate (lifepo4). by the way, how did you come up with those calculations?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Quote:
okay thanks. and yeah i am thinking of deviating from the recommended Li type...instead of Lithium Polymer, im thinking about Lithium Iron Phosphate (lifepo4). by the way, how did you come up with those calculations?
Calculations? Which ones?

Again, those were David's (dbc) when he owned the model that I have presently. He measured those values.....

Perhaps you meant to ask, gulio ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Meh...nevermind. i haven't been reading good things about these hobbyking lifepo4 batteries.
Last edited by electricrc68; Nov 28, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Oct 2011
23 Posts
Ok... a lot of back and forth going on here concerning batteries and as a the noob, I want to jump here, even though a lot of this stuff is way over my head.

I didn't buy any of the recomended batteries when I bought my Sensei on saturday because I have a half dozen LiPo's of the 3S 2200mAh 30C type that I was hoping to use with this plane. Now it sounds if I prop up to a 10x7 I will still be within a safe operating range with the stock ESC, am I reading you guys correctly? I have read a lot (not all) of 28 pages on this thread and I have gathered that some have had serious failures with their ESC... Is the stock unit not large enough to handle the load or is it more of a faulty ESC - I have a couple 30amp ESC laying on my bench right now, would you guys swap out ESC's before even the maiden??

A lot of questions there I know, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

howard
hobell is offline Find More Posts by hobell