HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:07 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I had a similar problem when I installed my esc. You have to make sure the throttle is all the way down when you turn it on, but the throttle trim must also be all the way down. Took me an hour to discover this.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Doing some mild flying straight overhead, all of a sudden out of nowhere, the plane twists and twirls straight down into the ground. It was plenty high and I could have saved it 20 times before it hit the ground but there was no control at all. There was almost no response, it was like it locked into an aileron full throw and stayed that way. Drove straight into the dry hard feild.

Ugh.

NTSB report:

Upon removing the wings I noticed that the receiver had come unstuck from the wall and had dropped down. The only connector not attached was the aileron one. Go figure.

Due to the fact that I had to replace the esc, the new esc did not have long enough wires to reach the far back compartment, so I had to move the receiver forward into the front compartment where the drop hatch is. The problem with that was that the aileron wires still had to travel back to the back compartment to attach to the wings. The problem with that was they would get caught into the screwholes that hold the wings down, so I cut out a small river into the foam and taped them down, so they would not lie loose and get caught in the screws. The problem with that was that when the receiver fell down, those wires were taped down and disconnected from the receiver, causing a crash.

Here's the carnage.

and the reason the wires didn't stay in the receiver when it fell down.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:25 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,862 Posts
....ai ai ai.... That's awefull.
By the looks of it, I'd consider it dead.
The upside is: now you can legitimately buy a new plane!!!!
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Whoa, too bad. That maybe isn't even a good parts plane now. Hope your motor is ok.

So the weight of the RX pulled the plug out, right?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I think it's dead. I mean it can be repaired but it's going to be some major surgery. The front cowling is just squished. It's going to need to be cut off and have a new foam mount fabricated. The wings got such a shock that the aileron wires actually got torn out of the foam as you can see. The ailerons ripped off the wing. The wings are bumped and bruised all sorts. They also feel flimsy, not as stable as they used to be. Maybe the bar got loosened inside. Then there's the engine mount, the front wheel mount. Ughh. It's a real mess. I think i'm going to shelve it for now. I just can't get into a project like that.

Yeah, the rx came loose and probably dangled by the aileron wire until eventually it pulled itself loose. Its one thing to crash it due to my own flying but it's another when it's over something so dumb. It's a harder pill to swallow.

The motor is actually still working. The shaft is a bit bent, which is something that I expected, but the motor actually spins free and smooth as ever. It was actually clicking on the ground trying to turn when it crashed for some time, there was beeping going on too. It was a while before I cut the power off completely, and it still runs fine. No burning at all. This is one tough motor. The stock one caught on fire running into some grass. This one took a direct 50mph hit into the hard earth. Pretty impressive.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
when I put in my new esc, I purchased a 24 inch servo type extension wire for the esc, so that the wire could reach back and plug into the receiver without moving it. If you ever change your esc again, you might want to consider doing the same.

I can't get my esc to work though, as one of the three wires from the new motor won't plug all the way in and I don't think it is making connection....anyway, the receiver isn't lighting up or binding. There is the little tune when I plug in the battery and the motor moves a little while it is playing, but that's all.

Scotch brand foam Inside - outside pressure sensitive mounting tape...gray with red plastic release top layer is great for mounting servos, gyros and rx. You just have to apply pressure when mounting your hardware so that it will get a good seating with the tape.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I'm on my second Sensei myself now. As I crashed my first one about a month ago. Lost it in the sun overhead and the next thing it knew it was rocketing straight down into a thick stand of trees, ripping the wings off, did the motor and esc in and I've been about a month getting it ready to go again. Had maidened it recently, but the esc on the second one went belly up, too.....so I just replaced it, too.
proweddingphotos is offline Find More Posts by proweddingphotos
Last edited by proweddingphotos; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
nwillitts
Joined Apr 2007
20 Posts
wow,that sucks balls.
nwillitts@yahoo. is offline Find More Posts by nwillitts@yahoo.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
Gru
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2011
13 Posts
I just bought one of these and was wondering if the wheels on this plane are suitable for grass. The grass in the school yard I'll be flying in is about short to medium length and a bit on the hard and dry side. Well, like a not so well kept elementary school yard. If I should change the wheels what size should I get? Maybe some extra grip? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Jose
Gru is offline Find More Posts by Gru
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:50 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
There is no way mine would be able to move on grass. It was barely able to move on loose gravel.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
Go to 3" or 3 1/2" wheels for flying off of grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
I just bought one of these and was wondering if the wheels on this plane are suitable for grass. The grass in the school yard I'll be flying in is about short to medium length and a bit on the hard and dry side. Well, like a not so well kept elementary school yard. If I should change the wheels what size should I get? Maybe some extra grip? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Jose
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,862 Posts
I'm flying of grass. Very short en smooth though.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
All my problems getting juice to the receiver were solved today during a trip to LHS. Turns out that the 24" extension wire was not plugged in good at the esc....among other things. Finally got the esc and motor connections all to work, too. I added a protective "keeper" over the plug in where the esc goes into the extension, so that it can never get disconnected again. (Would hate to see that happen in mid flight! Suddenly no power to the receiver!)

I received all six gyros I ordered from HobbyPartz.com. I have installed gyros on my ailerons and stab so far....both plug into ch 5 via a Y chord for on the ground tx mode switching/rate setting abilities. Now I'll just have to figure out how to add a third gyro to my rudder, as I am out of channels on my 6 channel radio. Maybe put another Y connector on one of the other Y connectors on Ch 5 giving me rates to all three gyros via channel 5? I have a feeling this will make them all be set the same....will have to go back to that 109 page thread on adding gyros to a fixed wing airplane and sort out that info if I can. I do have an aux channel that is empty....guess I'll have to read the manual to see if I can access it for rate setting/mode switching.

boy, there sure are a lot of wires in this thing now!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:27 AM
nwillitts
Joined Apr 2007
20 Posts
which gyros did you get?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwillitts@yahoo. View Post
which gyros did you get?
Detrum GY48V $12.70 each at HobbyPartz.com

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 PM
nwillitts
Joined Apr 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proweddingphotos View Post
Detrum GY48V $12.70 each at HobbyPartz.com

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html
thank you.