SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,821 Posts
Well guys, I went flying today with my G15 motor and 11x6. Unfortunately I only got to fly very shortly, as the stock motor got all 'vibrant' on me. Upon inspection I discovered that the (stock) motor mount wasn't very 'steady' anymore. Seemed the foam around the metal basis for the motor mount, had gotten weak.
So after 5 mins of flying I was done....*(#@#*!!

Anyway, this evening I took the time to improve the motor mount. Some pics below. Cut of most of the nose, glued a ply base and screwed in a mount. Feels steady.
Not yet tested in air, but looking good i think....
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:45 PM
nwillitts
Joined Apr 2007
20 Posts
nice job,now i know what i need to do.
was prying my cowl off and everything came off.
as in motor,motor mount,firewall,everything.
was installing an e-flight 480.
nwillitts@yahoo. is offline Find More Posts by nwillitts@yahoo.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:51 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proweddingphotos View Post
I was trying to think of a way to put my 3300 mAh LIPO batteries in my Sensei. The extra weight would probably help kill a bit of the unwanted float I experience now on landing attempts....as in, the darned thing just seems to float the entire length of the runway without settling.

I thought maybe I could do what they do with scratchbuilt foamies and lay the bigger battery on top of the plane and move it back and forth until the plane balanced properly at COG, just to see where that put the battery position...then, if that had the battery balance for COG at some point in between the current battery compartment and the bomb bay behind it, why not just make an opening between the two compartments and anchor your bigger battery there, straddling both compartments and giving you correct COG?

any thoughts?
I've been using a pair of 2.2 packs in mine from the start for 4400 mah. Is it nose heavy, yes. They are both in the stock batt compartment. I figured for just starting out, I'd like it nose heavy and I do. Soon I may put 1 pack into the next compartment back (maybe I can dump it out when depleted? haha)

Anyways I think you guys have a good idea, 3300 will be very nice in the stock compartment.

ps All my planes are nose heavy , but as I progress I am moving them ALL back.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:26 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Well guys, I went flying today with my G15 motor and 11x6. Unfortunately I only got to fly very shortly, as the stock motor got all 'vibrant' on me. Upon inspection I discovered that the (stock) motor mount wasn't very 'steady' anymore. Seemed the foam around the metal basis for the motor mount, had gotten weak.
So after 5 mins of flying I was done....*(#@#*!!

Anyway, this evening I took the time to improve the motor mount. Some pics below. Cut of most of the nose, glued a ply base and screwed in a mount. Feels steady.
Not yet tested in air, but looking good i think....
Wow, that's some surgery! Looks clean though. I had a similar problem after a recent nose dive into the ground. I thought I did major damage but it was just a bent mount, which I reshaped back to normal. It's a good thing the mount is not too hard and took the impact, it would have damaged the shaft for sure.

After some repair work it's as good as ever, however my metal brackets that are the support for the mount were loose inside the foam as well. I gorilla glued everything, added some wood skewers for support. Can't see it here but I also placed two strips of metal bent at each end that dig into the foam, reinforcing the foam mount. It starts at the very front of the plane and ends near the firewall. I glued them and pressed them down into the foam. Shouldn't come loose again.

Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:53 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,245 Posts
Wow~!

Many of you have installed better power systems and I have read that the model flys better? Correct?

I on the other hand still have the STOCK power system with the ParkZone T-28 Propeller Adapter and ParkZone 2-Blade 9.75 X 7.5 Propeller and still going strong.

Later!
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,821 Posts
Shame I can't see how you secured the mount.
The original mount is fine, even for the P15, and I would have never replaced it, if I thought I could have repaired it.

I wanted to fix this right away, so I bit the bullit. Took some courage to push the knife through the nose... And took some time to figure out how to mount the motor (the cowl leaves limited space, so I had to mount the motor the opposite to original). But I'm pretty pleased with the result.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:04 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,245 Posts
Seems like someone new to these threads have bought two SENSEI's and the first has had a burning issue with the Motor and ESC?

Go to Post #4:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524416
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,821 Posts
it's cold and there's too much wind today.
Did 2 rounds with my funcub at my local field, but no sensei flying today.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:48 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,245 Posts
Park Zone 2-Blade Prop

Guys!

A nice member by the name Jose caught me in a little error I keep making with the specific size of the Park Zone 2-Blade Propeller that I am using presently on my SENSEI and it is NOT the 9.75 X 7.5 and instead it is the

Park Zone 2-Blade, 9.5 X 7.5
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1012

My eye sight up close is not what it used to be, no wonder I hate hinging control surfaces!

So sorry for any confusion.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:56 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I need a new motor for my switch, it is 35x30mm. The sensei has a 30mm x ?

It must have less motor than my switch , yet is a heavier model. What size is the sensei motor stock?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
I've just put on a 10x7 prop myself, with the Park 480 motor. Stock motor was cutting out of me, so I just decided to replace it and see if that fixes my problems. Motor on my previous Sensei did that, too, then the motor and esc went up in a big white puff of smoke on a slow fly by! Didn't want that to happen again.

Went out yesterday to try to maiden it, but the plane didn't pass ground check, as the servo controlling the front wheel/rudder made a clicking noise and look like it was catching....so, off to LHS and get new servo. Went home and installed it. All ready to fly today, but, winds are up to 16 mph today and pretty steady, so............. May not get to maiden it until spring, we'll see how the weather shakes out this month.

At least, it is ready to go now.

Bill
proweddingphotos is offline Find More Posts by proweddingphotos
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:46 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
So you are running the same set up as me. Did you change the esc?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
So you are running the same set up as me. Did you change the esc?
No. I'm still running the stock esc.
proweddingphotos is offline Find More Posts by proweddingphotos
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:50 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,245 Posts
Okay,

Another happy Customer and owner of the "STOCK" powered SENSEI!

Someone sent me a message via YouTube and this person had a few questions and replied today to alert me of his Videos showing up to three (3) super Flight with his completely STOCK Powered SENSEI!

This was at a school yard and with lots of tress and fences around! In other words very tight conditions.

Maiden Flight:
FlyZone Sensei Maidan Flight (2 min 43 sec)

2nd Flight:
2nd flight Sensei RTF (1 min 57 sec)

Third Flight:
3rd flight Sensei RTF 11/06/11 (3 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,245 Posts
Funny Comment!

This is funny!

The same person then, proceeded to fly his Hobby-Zone Super Cub as he calls it "Old Faithful" and about 0:47 time he makes a comment that after flying the Flyzone SENSEI, the Super Cub feels crappy!!!

It made me laugh! I am glad I have recommended to many the SENSEI as it is a very stable platform to truly learn RC Airplane flying.

Here is his Video with the SUPER CUB:
Supercub willowgrove. 11/06/11 (1 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member