SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:03 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAMech View Post
Anyone put a three bladed prop on the stock system?
Interesting. I have an 8040x3 that I could try, although I don't think it would put out as much thrust. The 9040x3 is another one, not sure what is available in the 10 inch variety. Would definitely need to get the wattmeter out and get the stock readings first, I don't know how much "headroom" there would be with the stock ESC, it might allow for a three-blade 10 inch prop.

Just did some checking, HURC shows the FP 480 Sport with the 9050x3 prop putting out 38 oz thrust at 21 amps. That looks to be well under the specs for the stock ESC and motor. With a bit more research you may find the 3-blade 10 inch is acceptable.

That would make this bird look really cool.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:37 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
What size are the wheels on this bird?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:04 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAMech View Post
What size are the wheels on this bird?
The originals? 2.4", 62mm.

We changed to 2 3/4" lites. Put the Sensei wheels on my
Flylite.

Along with larger axles.

Flylite:

Originals:

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:51 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
I fly off a grass field and .needed larger tires to make taxing easier. I replaced the standard wheels (about 2 1/4" dia) with 3.5 inch David Brown Treaded Lite wheels. Actually the plane took off and landed ok on the smaller tires but they are pretty hard and was not easy to taxi with them.

As Kimber indicated you will need to change the axles too.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:15 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
gsking, Go ahead and fly with the 9x5, it will give good vertical ability but have slower top speed. Don't use the 10x4.7SF, your motor spins too fast and exceeds the max rpm for the SF props. I still fly the 10x5 stock prop but most who have upgraded recommend a 10x7. Good flying

Dennis
Dennis,

I grabbed a 10x5, but the Park 480 seems a bit weaker than my stock engine. I got the impression it should have a bit more pep.

Anything I can check (short of buying a wattmeter, I suppose )?
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,438 Posts
Here is the axle you need. the others are too big on one end.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL726

These just need a slightly larger hole in the LG.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:55 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsking View Post
Dennis,

I grabbed a 10x5, but the Park 480 seems a bit weaker than my stock engine. I got the impression it should have a bit more pep.

Anything I can check (short of buying a wattmeter, I suppose )?
gsking, Weaker in what sense, top speed, vertical ability, or acceleration? To improve top speed get a 10x7e Before going larger diameter or pitch than the 10x7e you will need to check your setup with a wattmeter.

Dennis
3rd Try is online now Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:13 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
gsking, Weaker in what sense, top speed, vertical ability, or acceleration? To improve top speed get a 10x7e Before going larger diameter or pitch than the 10x7e you will need to check your setup with a wattmeter.

Dennis
Right...I didn't expect it to be faster. The accel and vertical seem slower. Like it "maxes out" at 70% stick and doesn't keep adding power until the stick hits the upper limit.

I thought maybe I need to reprogram my ESC for the different motor.

Greg
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsking View Post
Right...I didn't expect it to be faster. The accel and vertical seem slower. Like it "maxes out" at 70% stick and doesn't keep adding power until the stick hits the upper limit.

I thought maybe I need to reprogram my ESC for the different motor.

Greg
Greg, Your description seems to support the need to reprogram the ESC to establish the high/low limits on your Tr. When I upgraded my Sensei I included an E-flite pro 30A ESC and have a pretty good power curve from top to bottom. Are there instructions on how to program the stock ESC?

Dennis
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Hey all. Names Dan and i am writing from Jacksonville, FL. Just got a sensei a few weeks ago and flew it a few times buddy boxed with a friend of mine. Only got to land it once buddy boxed and broke the prop. I now have a new prop installed and 5 spares, but never seem to be able to get my schedule lined up with my buddies. I am a bit impatient, and after building some confidence on the simulator I took her out by myself to the local rc field (very early AM to avoid any wind). I ended up getting 3 batteries worth of flying and had about 5 landings with one touch and go; no broken parts, but I was getting sweaty despite the cold air The question I have for the group is this plane seems to float forever - anyway to limit this. I get set on my final and she just floats... and floats. The field I fly at has a really long runway and I use most of it, or at least the grass next to it (not very accurate at guiding her in). Any recommendations on shortening her approach and limiting her roll when she touches down?

I read much earlier in this thread that flaperons or spoilerons may help and I do have a new transmitter on the way. Not opposed to switching out the receiver and setting it up with either, or do I just tough it out and adapt to the plane as is? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Dgrdan is offline Find More Posts by Dgrdan
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrdan View Post
Hey all. Names Dan and i am writing from Jacksonville, FL. Just got a sensei a few weeks ago and flew it a few times buddy boxed with a friend of mine. Only got to land it once buddy boxed and broke the prop. I now have a new prop installed and 5 spares, but never seem to be able to get my schedule lined up with my buddies. I am a bit impatient, and after building some confidence on the simulator I took her out by myself to the local rc field (very early AM to avoid any wind). I ended up getting 3 batteries worth of flying and had about 5 landings with one touch and go; no broken parts, but I was getting sweaty despite the cold air The question I have for the group is this plane seems to float forever - anyway to limit this. I get set on my final and she just floats... and floats. The field I fly at has a really long runway and I use most of it, or at least the grass next to it (not very accurate at guiding her in). Any recommendations on shortening her approach and limiting her roll when she touches down?

I read much earlier in this thread that flaperons or spoilerons may help and I do have a new transmitter on the way. Not opposed to switching out the receiver and setting it up with either, or do I just tough it out and adapt to the plane as is? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, Trim the plane for level flight at 3/4 throttle, after turning to final reduce throttle to less than 1/4 but not off. The plane will descend without elevator input. Just before touching down flare slightly and reduce throttle to off. The flare should not cause the plane to rise, just maintain a level flight inches above the ground. Add elevator slowly as speed decreases and allow touchdown just before the plane reaches you. The important part is having the plane properly trimmed with an accurate COG established. If the nose is too heavy it will float, if the COG is correct it will lose altitude at any throttle setting below your level flight throttle position. Hope this helps.

Dennis
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Dennis, I will trying trimming it for level flight at 3/4 throttle and coming in with a bit of throttle on. I had it trimmed for level flight at 1/2 throttle, so that may have been keeping me floating a bit coming in. Trying to keep my flight speeds fairly low as it gives me more time to react which is why I trimmed for level at 1/2 throttle. We are supposed to be fairly windy for the next few days, but I guess a bit of head wind could also slow my approach and limit my long final.

Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how it worked. I think I have my COG spot on.

Dan
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:02 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
DGRDAN,
in order to make the Sensei descend better (and generally improve it's flying, particularly when there's wind) you can also add a bit of weight on the nose.
(I have some stick-on lead on the back of the firewall, inside the batt compartment)
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Flaperons

After flying a year without them I've started using 25% flaperons. It appears like that makes a big difference letting the plane come down gently with much less float.

When you have a little headwind it also helps. While a calm day is nice for flying it definitely makes it harder to get down on a short field.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Thanks for the tips, but still a bit windy here today for this new flyer... I am gonna venture out tomorrow morning early before wind picks up and try adjusting my elevator trim and rechecking my COG. Once get my new transmitter and new receiver I will experiment with a bit of flaperon. I will report back on results.

Thanks again,
Dan