HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:20 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsking View Post
I just got one of these, but no directions in the box on how to reverse the shaft. Is it difficult?

And I got a 10x4.7 slo-fly prop, thinking it would be good to add thrust on the low end. But it seems flimsy. Should I go with the 9x5 prop I have in hand, or wait for a stock prop?

Thanks!
GSKING, which motor did you buy, the Firepower 480 or the Park 480? Both of the props you have are undersized for the Sensei. The stock prop is a 10x5 and many fly the 10x7. There were some reports early on about a 9x? prop but I don't recall what the pitch was, Of the props you have I would try the 9x5 first. If you have a watt meter you can test each one to see where you will get the best performance based on watts.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
GSKING, which motor did you buy, the Firepower 480 or the Park 480? Both of the props you have are undersized for the Sensei. The stock prop is a 10x5 and many fly the 10x7. There were some reports early on about a 9x? prop but I don't recall what the pitch was, Of the props you have I would try the 9x5 first. If you have a watt meter you can test each one to see where you will get the best performance based on watts.

Dennis
Snowbound hellos!

Early on Pittspecial used a prop from a PZ P-47 that was a 9.5 x 7.5 but on the stock motor set-up. The 10 x 7 prop seemed to be the choice of those repowering with the Park 480 motor. Discussed about page 14 or so.

Also, the rpm of the E-Flite and Firepower 480 with a 3s is too high for an APC SF prop. See the APC Safety Limits on props in the URL's below. Also a RCG poster, Azarr had a nice post on prop speeds. Below is the link for that aslo.

I have been using an APC 10 X 4.7 SF with my Firepower 450 1100kv but will start using the APC 10 X 5 or 7 E prop when I find my flying field - (2' of snow ). Hope this helps.

Roger

Pitts post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=354

Azarr's post:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58639

APC Safety Limits:

http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Prop choices

RightFly, Thanks for the update. I didn't have time to find the previous posts about the 9.5x7.5 prop, was speaking from memory. Thank you also for the links.

Dennis

PS: It's snowing hard in upstate NY, 12 miles from Canada 3 miles from Vermont with single digit temps.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:50 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
224 Posts
Quote:

Dennis
I got the Firepower 480 sport here. It made it sound like 10x5 was best for maximum thrust, so 4.7 would be close enough. I don't want speed, so I thought the 10x7 would be just a faster prop.

The thrust may too high for a SF prop, but I didn't think it would be "undersized". I'm still learning this prop stuff.

The 9x5 prop is from the Corvalis, so it is similarly sized, but a bit lighter.

Haven't bought the watt meter yet. The postwoman is already annoyed at the multiple packages of parts that show up daily.

Thanks!
Greg
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
I got the Firepower 480 sport here.

Thanks!
Greg
Greg, The Firepower 480 does not require that the shaft be reversed !!! It will bolt on to your motormount with no modifications, Looking from the front align the motor with the wires hanging down and to the right. Your original screws will work and line up with the holes on either side of the motor. Only 2 holes will line up. I placed small flat washers under the screws to provide more surface contact for the attachment. I have flown with this setup and the stock 10x5 prop for over 50 flight with no issue.

Dennis
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:34 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Anyone put a three bladed prop on the stock system?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:18 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
224 Posts
Quote:
Greg, The Firepower 480 does not require that the shaft be reversed !!! It will bolt on to your motormount with no modifications, Looking from the front align the motor with the wires hanging down and to the right. Your original screws will work and line up with the holes on either side of the motor. Only 2 holes will line up. I placed small flat washers under the screws to provide more surface contact for the attachment. I have flown with this setup and the stock 10x5 prop for over 50 flight with no issue.

Dennis
You rock...thanks. Lots more power than the original setup? I'm not sure the original motor is messed...I had a run-in with a swingset that took out my rear gear and a tree that took out my prop. But I figured while I'm under the cowl, I might as well put in a new motor.

For now, it's 9x5 or 10x4.7 SF, or wait for a 10x5. I guess I can fly the 9x5 and lose a bit of power without worry, right?
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
You rock...thanks. Lots more power than the original setup? I'm not sure the original motor is messed...I had a run-in with a swingset that took out my rear gear and a tree that took out my prop. But I figured while I'm under the cowl, I might as well put in a new motor.

For now, it's 9x5 or 10x4.7 SF, or wait for a 10x5. I guess I can fly the 9x5 and lose a bit of power without worry, right?
gsking, Go ahead and fly with the 9x5, it will give good vertical ability but have slower top speed. Don't use the 10x4.7SF, your motor spins too fast and exceeds the max rpm for the SF props. I still fly the 10x5 stock prop but most who have upgraded recommend a 10x7. Good flying

Dennis
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
gsking, Don't use the 10x4.7SF, your motor spins too fast and exceeds the max rpm for the SF props. I Good flying

Dennis
How do you know when the motor is to fast for a SF prop? I dont know and am wondering because I need to size a prop for another plane. the motor will be a Turnigy SK3 520kv run on 4S. any advise?
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.in.Maryland View Post
How do you know when the motor is to fast for a SF prop? I dont know and am wondering because I need to size a prop for another plane. the motor will be a Turnigy SK3 520kv run on 4S. any advise?

Max Rpm = 65,000 / Prop Dia. per APC on APC SF props.

Take a look at the url's in my post #2087 near the start of this page.

Roger
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Max Rpm = 65,000 / Prop Dia. per APC on APC SF props.

Take a look at the url's in my post #2087 near the start of this page.

Roger
Thank you Roger, I know I should have attributed the info in my post to you, my bad, assumed the OP was reading the thread.

Dennis
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Roger, I know I should have attributed the info in my post to you, my bad, assumed the OP was reading the thread.

Dennis
No problem Dennis,

I guess my post was unintentionally a little short as I reread it but I was off to an appointment and did not take much time for composition. I had similar questions thatTom had posted recently and just wanted to be sure he found the info I had posted.

Its really great to have a whole bunch of people trying to helping each other. It makes sites like this very valuable.

Have a good one.

Roger
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:19 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
Does anyone know the dementions of the stock rudder servo? Mine is going bad and I would like to order a repacement before I pull it out.
Thanks,
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
I have my drop box servo removed and on my desk.

It is 22 mm wide , 11 mm thick , and 27 mm high (without the spline)
The elevator and rudder servos are the same as the drop door servo.

This is 22 x 11 x 27
The 22 doesn't include the flanges. They weigh about 10 grams.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:26 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
The elevator and rudder servos are the same as the drop door servo.

This is 22 x 11 x 27
The 22 doesn't include the flanges. They weigh about 10 grams.
Damn, I knew I had seen it but couldn't find it. Thanks
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim