SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:34 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
So for a faster motor replacement over stock the Firepower 480 sport? I just want to use the existing mount. I know I will have to upgrade the ESC.

Is it a good motor? Any others that just fit? I saw the park 480 but think it doesn't fit the stock mount?

Robert
Robert, Both motors will bolt up to the existing motor mount. The Park 480 requires that you reverse the shaft and comes with directions in the box to do so. The Firepower 480 bolts up with no modification (2 hole mounting) which has not been a problem. I have about 75 flights on my Sensei with the Firepower 480. It has more power than the stock motor, I did install a 30A E-Flite Pro ESC also in consideration of the reports of ESC failures. I still have the stock ESC and use it for bench tests.
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Robert, I have the park 480 and it uses the stock mount with all four bolts. As stated you have to loosen three set screws that hold the shaft, then push it thru so it stick out the side with the mounting holes. You will have to switch the outer two motor wires when connecting to the esc so it spins in the correct direction.

Not sure where you stock esc was mounted but the new factory location is shown in my post on pg 138 #2061. I think it will get more air than when it was in the battery compartment.

Howard
Valkyrie. is offline Find More Posts by Valkyrie.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:23 AM
Brkn Prop
United States, NV, Cold Springs
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
I was on the first battery pack and coming in for a landing, then this street light pole jumped out of it's place and crabbed my Sensei out of the air. The Sensei was at low speed and low altitude. No noticeable damage.
So I put in the second battery pack, coming in for a landing this electrical box did the same thing. Jumped right out and snatched the plane right out of the air, this time the fuse broke in front of the bomb bay doors.
OH thank heaven for hot glue. I will try to maintain a fair distance tomorrow.
Happy Flying.
Scratchgoose is offline Find More Posts by Scratchgoose
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:28 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchgoose View Post
I was on the first battery pack and coming in for a landing, then this street light pole jumped out of it's place and crabbed my Sensei out of the air. The Sensei was at low speed and low altitude. No noticeable damage.
So I put in the second battery pack, coming in for a landing this electrical box did the same thing. Jumped right out and snatched the plane right out of the air, this time the fuse broke in front of the bomb bay doors.
OH thank heaven for hot glue. I will try to maintain a fair distance tomorrow.
Happy Flying.
Hey Scratchgoose, You keep messing with all that electrical equipment you will have to pay dues to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

Good luck on your repair and better luck on your next flight.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:33 AM
St. Thomas, VI
Joined May 2001
131 Posts
Power

I decided to try out a Sensei just over two months ago. (Had to identify a replacement for our club's favorite trainer - the Mentor - which has been discontinued by Multiplex!)

This one was the RTF. I fly all Spektrum radios, so I replaced the stock rx with one of my own. The rest of the assembly was dead simple - my only changes were to set the plane up with flaperons... no need for y-harnesses. Finished before the battery was done charging.

It flies quite nicely. I was impressed with just how well the stock power system hauled the plane around - plus all the stuff we stuck in the drop bay.

(Tip : set the throw on the drop servo so that the doors only open a crack when deployed. Fill the drop bay with baby powder. Take off, then open the drop door while climbing out. Hilarity ensues.)

Noticed the extra weight glued to the cowl, and decided This Will Not Do. Since I was going to remove weight anyway I decided to motor up!

I dug through my pile(!) of motors for a suitable replacement, and came up with two Turnigy 35-48 outrunners - one 900kv, the other one 1100. I wanted to run 4 cell packs, so I went with the lower KV version. I also swapped out the stock ESC for a Turnigy Plush 40A.

I tested a couple of props, but finally settled on a 3-blade 12x6. 492 watts, 40.8A. Yeah.

Total weight gained over stock is 60g, including the 4s 2200 pack.

It flies great! Duration is pretty good - I have my timer set for 8 minutes of normal flying, but have gone for 15+ of just puttering around, shooting touch-and-gos, etc.
visioneer_one is offline Find More Posts by visioneer_one
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:42 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
482 Posts
This is mine, all stock except for the military paint job by Romie.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:41 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
827 Posts
Great thank you.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
Robert, Both motors will bolt up to the existing motor mount. The Park 480 requires that you reverse the shaft and comes with directions in the box to do so. The Firepower 480 bolts up with no modification (2 hole mounting) which has not been a problem. I have about 75 flights on my Sensei with the Firepower 480. It has more power than the stock motor, I did install a 30A E-Flite Pro ESC also in consideration of the reports of ESC failures. I still have the stock ESC and use it for bench tests.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
827 Posts
Yeah ours was the bottom of the cowl. Have a bigger esc as I don't even want to chance using the one that came with it. I had put a BEC on it which solved my earlier problems.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie. View Post
Robert, I have the park 480 and it uses the stock mount with all four bolts. As stated you have to loosen three set screws that hold the shaft, then push it thru so it stick out the side with the mounting holes. You will have to switch the outer two motor wires when connecting to the esc so it spins in the correct direction.

Not sure where you stock esc was mounted but the new factory location is shown in my post on pg 138 #2061. I think it will get more air than when it was in the battery compartment.

Howard
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
That is a good looking paint job. Is it a copy of a real A/F scheme?

Roger
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:59 PM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
301 Posts
Quote:
Way cool! Nice job!
mrdd54 is online now Find More Posts by mrdd54
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:35 AM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
482 Posts
Thanks mrdd54 and Roger; The paint job is based on the T41 Mescalero and the T34 Mentor's, both handsome USAF trainers.

It now gets a lot more attention at the field
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by accel8or; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
As stated in my post #2061, FZ was sending me a new esc. Yesterday I got the new esc and today I got the motor with mount. I have already replaced both in the plane so I will keep these for a latter project, something lighter that won't draw as many amps.

FZ has been very good to deal with..

Howard
Valkyrie. is offline Find More Posts by Valkyrie.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie. View Post
As stated in my post #2061, FZ was sending me a new esc. Yesterday I got the new esc and today I got the motor with mount. I have already replaced both in the plane so I will keep these for a latter project, something lighter that won't draw as many amps.

FZ has been very good to deal with..

Howard
I would give a +1 or maybe 10 on that. Hobbico Air Support has really stepped up to the plate for the Sensei owners having problems with the plane. This is the difference between a good company and a great one.

I am glad you have your parts. Put it together and get it in the air.

Good luck and good flying.

Roger
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:55 PM
St. Thomas, VI
Joined May 2001
131 Posts
Quote:
Very nice! I've been thinking about building another one for use as a seaplane and doing it up in USCG colors... do you know what kind of paint your friend used here?
visioneer_one is offline Find More Posts by visioneer_one
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
I just got one of these, but no directions in the box on how to reverse the shaft. Is it difficult?

And I got a 10x4.7 slo-fly prop, thinking it would be good to add thrust on the low end. But it seems flimsy. Should I go with the 9x5 prop I have in hand, or wait for a stock prop?

Thanks!
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking