HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamjohn View Post
Skis look like a nice option for flying this plane in Snowy conditions. What size motor do you have in your plane and also what size ESC are using? I'm wondering if the Turnigy park 480 would be a noticeable upgrade from the stock motor that comes with our North American Sensei. With that I would have to switch out the ESC to at least a 40A I would think. I use 3S 2200 mah 25-35C batteries w/ 10X5 APC prop. Any opinions or experience on going this route to try and enhance the performance a little would be appreciated. Thanks!
The Park 480 is a good upgrade from the stock motor and will bolt onto the stock motor mount, however, you will probably have to reverse the prop shaft. I am using the Firepower 480 sport 11 Kv from Heads up RC, bolt on and prop adapter supplied, less $ and 2.00 shipping to 48 states.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Last edited by 3rd Try; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: corrected Kv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:59 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
The Park 480 is a good upgrade from the stock motor and will bolt onto the stock motor mount, however, you will probably have to reverse the prop shaft. I am using the Firepower 480 sport 11 Kv from Heads up RC, bolt on and prop adapter supplied, less $ and 2.00 shipping to 48 states.

Dennis
Dennis,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the Firepower 480 and with what battery size? My flying style is relaxed without trying all the aerobatic maneuvers.

I had tried the Firepower 10 size and was unhappy with flights of 5 min or less.

Just curious.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Dennis,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the Firepower 480 and with what battery size? My flying style is relaxed without trying all the aerobatic maneuvers.

I had tried the Firepower 10 size and was unhappy with flights of 5 min or less.

Just curious.

Roger
Roger, I'm using the Zippy 2200's, fly somewhat aggressively, and set my timer for 7 minutes. I generally put 1200-1400 Mah back in so there's room for more time. When I was practicing T & G's and doing lazy circuits I had my timer at 10 minutes with about the same usage. I hope that helps.

Dennis
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Roger, I'm using the Zippy 2200's, fly somewhat aggressively, and set my timer for 7 minutes. I generally put 1200-1400 Mah back in so there's room for more time. When I was practicing T & G's and doing lazy circuits I had my timer at 10 minutes with about the same usage. I hope that helps.

Dennis
Yes, that does help. The Firepower 450 size seems slightly mushy at times but it gave the flight times I wanted, About 11 and 12 minutes without pushing the 2200 mah 3s battery. But if the 480 gives 10 minutes with a few T & Gs I could live with that.

Thanks for the information.

Roger
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Yes, that does help. The Firepower 450 size seems slightly mushy at times but it gave the flight times I wanted, About 11 and 12 minutes without pushing the 2200 mah 3s battery. But if the 480 gives 10 minutes with a few T & Gs I could live with that.

Thanks for the information.

Roger
Roger, I forgot to mention that I am still using the stock 10x5 prop.

Dennis
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:26 PM
Brkn Prop
United States, NV, Cold Springs
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
A beautiful day to fly in Spanish Springs NV, (Reno).
I few a few days ago and stripped the nose steering servo. (the second time) so I did the conversation to a tail dagger. MUCH better. Got 2 battery packs flying. Can't hardly wait till tomorrow....
Happy flying
Scratchgoose is offline Find More Posts by Scratchgoose
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
An absolutely stunning day here in North Alabama. Managed to get in two flights today even with everyone else at the field. I had not flown my Sensei in probably two months and it was good to get her back in the air.
I cut the throttle on final hoping to get her to drop down into the glide path, but she just kept going. That was with only a 2-3 knot head wind.
Stock setup is working great for me, the guys who do the training in my club really like this as a first airplane.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:35 AM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
I have a small crack on the front wing attachment from a transport accident, can I use regular CA or does it need to be foam safe? I need something very thin to get on there and don't have any thin foam safe CA.
Thanks for the help,
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuejim View Post
I have a small crack on the front wing attachment from a transport accident, can I use regular CA or does it need to be foam safe? I need something very thin to get on there and don't have any thin foam safe CA.
Thanks for the help,
Jimmy
My suggestion would be to slightly open the crack and get Gorilla Glue into the crack. Then use pressure to close the crack, use 3M blue painter tape to secure it and allow 2 hours to completely cure. The glue is stronger than the plane.

Dennis
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Quote:
My suggestion would be to slightly open the crack and get Gorilla Glue into the crack. Then use pressure to close the crack, use 3M blue painter tape to secure it and allow 2 hours to completely cure. The glue is stronger than the plane.

Dennis
To second Dennis' comments, I used the quick-drying Gorilla Glue to fix a crack and it worked very well. Definitely use blue painters tape to keep the glue from foaming out, that forces it down into the crack.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:21 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
Gorilla is my usual goto, I was just trying not to pry it one since it was a small crack.
Guess I'll just go with my usual. Thans for th feedback.
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:32 PM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
New sensei owner,

I have a new still in the box sensei (to cold to fly here in Mi.) and have been going through this thread. I was thinking about pulling the stock motor and esc out of my pz p-47, it is a 15 BL Outrunner motor, 950Kv by ParkZone (PKZ5116) with the alum prop adapter / 9.5x7.5 prop and 30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (V2) by E-flite (EFLA1030B). I think I will have to push the shaft thru the motor for mounting and reverse the throttle setting in the tx.

What about using the p-47 motor mount that is shown in the attached picture

I am looking for opinions about this setup.

Thanks
Howard
Valkyrie. is offline Find More Posts by Valkyrie.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie. View Post
New sensei owner,

I have a new still in the box sensei (to cold to fly here in Mi.) and have been going through this thread. I was thinking about pulling the stock motor and esc out of my pz p-47, it is a 15 BL Outrunner motor, 950Kv by ParkZone (PKZ5116) with the alum prop adapter / 9.5x7.5 prop and 30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (V2) by E-flite (EFLA1030B). I think I will have to push the shaft thru the motor for mounting and reverse the throttle setting in the tx.

Thanks
Howard
Hi Howard,

If it was me I would leave it alone and fly it as a standard first. However, I am one of the advocates in this thread that removes the spinner. That allows a lot more air under the cowl to cool the motor and ESC. My thoughts were that cooling may have been part of the issue on the reported failures.

The plane is underpowered as sport plane but I thought was just fine as a trainer or sedate flyer but I would try it as is then decide if you need to repower. I only repowered mine as it sat on the top of a Cedar tree for about 10 days and through two storms. The incident was because of a failure of a connection to the battery and not an ESC or motor problem.

Too cold here to fly comfortable as well as health conditions keep me from challenging the cold. It also got kind of deep the last three days so skies are in order.

Good luck and you will like that Sensei.

Roger
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie. View Post
New sensei owner,

Thanks
Howard
Howard, As Roger said, fly it stock before you make any mods to the plane. This will give you a feel for the plane as designed and insure that you have it set up properly. If you find that you want more power, an economical upgrade that bolts in with no modifications is the Firepower 480 Sport from Heads Up RC. I have been using it for nearly 6 months and find it a solid reliable power up mod from stock. The Park 480 is also a viable choice however, it requires reversing the shaft and is more $ than the Firepower motor. Good luck with your new plane.

Dennis
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:45 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Ditto with Roger's comments. I took the spinner off, it certainly helps with air flow. I'm still flying with the stock electrics, she has plenty of power and I get 9-10 minute flights with throttle 50-65% most of the time. Plenty if you are learning, you can always hop her up later!