HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:10 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
Rightfly's Avatar
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedStall View Post
Happy New Year! Thanks for the RF info. I looked for the plane before but hadn't found it. I'll check the swap files and try one out. I'm replacing my graphics card today and hope to see even better performance with the new card.

Had the Sensei out again since my maiden and really like the way it flies. It will roll quickly and loop without any problem and landings are a piece of cake. Very nice plane.

Had my first successful drop, too! I was having trouble getting my little paratroopers to jump (they were snagging their chute lines on the drop door hardware). Another club member offered up a homemade chute attached to a little plastic man he had cast himself. The little guy had a nice heft and didn't need any additional balast so we loaded him up and off he went into the blue. Turns out he was a bit timid about jumping, but after a couple of rolls and a loop with the drop door open out he came! I didn't see much of his descent as I was busy straightening the plane out after all the acrobatics, but the guys there enjoyed seeing him float down.

I'm going to build some kind of compartment inside the drop bay so that there aren't any little nooks or crannies where things can get hung up. Should be easy to just line the interior with some cardboard walls. With that in place I should be able to have a little more controlled drops than I've had!
Hi LowSpeed,

Glad you are getting some flying time and enjoying it. Here are some url's to the Real Flight 6 swap files for the Sensei.

Standard Sensei configuration:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16952

Standard version variant - improved glide:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=17500

Repowerd version with 3536-11 motor:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16972

I should have furnished these in my first post. They are RF6 version but will work on RF 5.5 but with a warning message about "not finding a 4% rounded flat - default used." But it still flies - even the sim plane is tough .

I had trouble with drops this summer and have been thinking about cutting some lite canvass pieces to hang on either side of the drop box to prevent hanging up on the mechanism. May need to do only one side. But sounds as if you were doing everything I did to get stuff to drop.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Last edited by Rightfly; Jan 11, 2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:51 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
How To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Hi LowSpeed,

Glad you are getting some flying time and enjoying it. Here are some url's to the Real Flight 6 swap files for the Sensei.

Standard Sensei configuration:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16952

Standard version variant - improved glide:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=17500

Repowerd version with 3536-11 motor:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=16972

I should have furnished these in my first post. They are RF6 version but will work on RF 5.5 but with a warning message about "not finding a 4% rounded flat - default used." But it still flies - even the sim plane is tough .


Roger
I have been flying the Sensei since I bought it in July 2012. Have not been able to fly since thanksgiving due to the snow. I have R/F 6.5, I have downloaded the file for the Sensei, but, I lack the knowledge to put the two together. Could someone provide a simple "how to"? Thanks

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:13 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
Rightfly's Avatar
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Hi Dennis,

It is a fairly simple process as RF does most of the work on the "Import" function. First you have to recognize the file(basically a zip file) have a uniform name ending. An aircraft file ends its name with "_EA" and must be the first imported as any variant or color sckeme needs the base file to load upon.

If you have downloaded Sensei file, "Flyzone Sensei_EA" start up your RF. Note: My instructions are based on RF 5.5 but the import method is probably the same.

1. Click on the pull-down task menu "Simulation"
2. Now click on "Import" within the Simulation menu.
(In RF5 there are now 3 types of file selections offered.)
3. Select the one probably still named "RealFlight Archive (RFx,GRx)

4. At this point you will be prompted to browse for your file. Find your Sensei file and click on it and RF will do the rest. If you get a message in green letters that says you have succsesfully imported XXXX file, your all set.

Now go to aircraft selection and open a new group named "Custom Aircraft" and you will find your Sensei. Select it and wait for RF to process the file.

You load the other type files the same way. I have a file on my computer named "RF_Downdoads" where I keep all the things I have gotten from the swap files. Makes it easy when importing a new plane.

Good luck and PM me if you have troubles although I have never seen the new RF 6 version so my help is based on RF5.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
Registered User
mds47588's Avatar
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Got a bit of time in this evening with mine. Was a tad breezy, but nothing excessive. Notice if ya will the DC-3 on the ramp. It belongs to Airborne Imaging and easily located on the web.

When I did these videos...somehow the audio from the last segment came up MIA...???

3 Sensei vids (11 min 51 sec)
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:03 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Hi Dennis,

It is a fairly simple process as RF does most of the work on the "Import" function. First you have to recognize the file(basically a zip file) have a uniform name ending. An aircraft file ends its name with "_EA" and must be the first imported as any variant or color sckeme needs the base file to load upon.

If you have downloaded Sensei file, "Flyzone Sensei_EA" start up your RF. Note: My instructions are based on RF 5.5 but the import method is probably the same.

1. Click on the pull-down task menu "Simulation"
2. Now click on "Import" within the Simulation menu.
(In RF5 there are now 3 types of file selections offered.)
3. Select the one probably still named "RealFlight Archive (RFx,GRx)

4. At this point you will be prompted to browse for your file. Find your Sensei file and click on it and RF will do the rest. If you get a message in green letters that says you have succsesfully imported XXXX file, your all set.

Now go to aircraft selection and open a new group named "Custom Aircraft" and you will find your Sensei. Select it and wait for RF to process the file.

You load the other type files the same way. I have a file on my computer named "RF_Downdoads" where I keep all the things I have gotten from the swap files. Makes it easy when importing a new plane.

Good luck and PM me if you have troubles although I have never seen the new RF 6 version so my help is based on RF5.

Roger
Roger, Thank you for the help!! Worked as stated, a route /path I would never have discovered on my own.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:18 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
Rightfly's Avatar
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
I am glad it worked for you 3rdTry!

Fly the sim Sensei and see if it has the right feel. I found the _EA version needed the _AV variant that improved the glide characteristics. You import the variants "_AV" files the same way except at the end you will be prompted to create new or replace existing file. I replace - seems to work.

Our snow went away yesterday so I may get some real Sensei flying today - otherwise back to the RF sim.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Registered User
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
I am glad it worked for you 3rdTry!

Fly the sim Sensei and see if it has the right feel. I found the _EA version needed the _AV variant that improved the glide characteristics. You import the variants "_AV" files the same way except at the end you will be prompted to create new or replace existing file. I replace - seems to work.

Our snow went away yesterday so I may get some real Sensei flying today - otherwise back to the RF sim.

Roger
Roger, I found the original file to be underpowered and upgraded as you explained. I also increased the aileron and elevator deflection to better match the performance of my Sensei. My Sensei has been re-powered with a Firepower 480 sport (3530-11) . Again, Thank you for your help.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
I have been flying the Sensei since I bought it in July 2012. Have not been able to fly since thanksgiving due to the snow. I have R/F 6.5, I have downloaded the file for the Sensei, but, I lack the knowledge to put the two together. Could someone provide a simple "how to"? Thanks

Dennis
Excuse me, but what's the problem with snow and flying? I can understand heavy, snowy weather, but thanksgiving is in november, isn't it? I can't imagine it's snowing for two months? I would certainly heard about it in the news. Use skies on your plane! Works great, and you can land on snow! Lakes are frozen and they make a very nice runway.
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:45 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Jacob View Post
Excuse me, but what's the problem with snow and flying? I can understand heavy, snowy weather, but thanksgiving is in november, isn't it? I can't imagine it's snowing for two months? I would certainly heard about it in the news. Use skies on your plane! Works great, and you can land on snow! Lakes are frozen and they make a very nice runway.
I don't have skies, the fields are full of corn stalks, and the flying field has a 1000m entrance covered in snow. By April I will have 3 planes to choose from, my Sensei, the Lake Buccaneer that I'm building, and the ElectroStik that is my next project.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:14 AM
Registered User
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
I don't have skies, the fields are full of corn stalks, and the flying field has a 1000m entrance covered in snow. By April I will have 3 planes to choose from, my Sensei, the Lake Buccaneer that I'm building, and the ElectroStik that is my next project.

Dennis
Dubro has skies for your Sensei, and you can use them on any other similar plane or bigger. Landing in deep, loose snow and you'll just need about 10 meter (30 ft.) . I use soccer stadiums (outdoor) , parking lots, country roads, fields and lakes. We have a lot of artificial grass (soccer), that is always snow-free - due to soccer practice. What I'm trying to say is - it's only your imagination that limits flight time in winter;-)
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
Rightfly's Avatar
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Jacob View Post
Dubro has skies for your Sensei, and you can use them on any other similar plane or bigger. Landing in deep, loose snow and you'll just need about 10 meter (30 ft.) . I use soccer stadiums (outdoor) , parking lots, country roads, fields and lakes. We have a lot of artificial grass (soccer), that is always snow-free - due to soccer practice. What I'm trying to say is - it's only your imagination that limits flight time in winter;-)
Hi Ole!

You are a great motivator and cheer leader. I just ordered the Dubro skies for my Sensei. I imagine your days are still quite short yet in Norway but we would like to some flight pictures if you take any. The latitude wher I am located is about 44 degress north compared to over 60 degrees north where you are gives rather short days.

Good flying and give us some aerial photos of your area.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Bjorvatn, Froland, Aust-Agder, Norway (3 min 6 sec)


Discovery (Sensei) with skies.
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:49 PM
Registered User
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iwOllL0rEd4
RC Discovery på isen (2 min 6 sec)


Filmed with GoPro camera by a 10 year old boy;-)
The plane is converted to taildragger, and I switched from skies to wheels. No need for skies on the ice. A bit of drag in the air with skies..
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Last edited by Ole Jacob; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
Registered User
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jul 2011
103 Posts
Motor size

Skis look like a nice option for flying this plane in Snowy conditions. What size motor do you have in your plane and also what size ESC are using? I'm wondering if the Turnigy park 480 would be a noticeable upgrade from the stock motor that comes with our North American Sensei. With that I would have to switch out the ESC to at least a 40A I would think. I use 3S 2200 mah 25-35C batteries w/ 10X5 APC prop. Any opinions or experience on going this route to try and enhance the performance a little would be appreciated. Thanks!
zamjohn is offline Find More Posts by zamjohn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:22 AM
Registered User
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamjohn View Post
Skis look like a nice option for flying this plane in Snowy conditions. What size motor do you have in your plane and also what size ESC are using? I'm wondering if the Turnigy park 480 would be a noticeable upgrade from the stock motor that comes with our North American Sensei. With that I would have to switch out the ESC to at least a 40A I would think. I use 3S 2200 mah 25-35C batteries w/ 10X5 APC prop. Any opinions or experience on going this route to try and enhance the performance a little would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know the Kv for your motor, but with the 10x5 APC it will hardly be noticeable. Go for a larger prop.
I use a 142g 1000kv motor with a 50A esc. The biggest prop I use is 13x6,5. For a little longer flight time 12x6. With a 10x5 and a 2200mAh lipo the flight time is about 15 min. Great for video when I don't need speed and vertical climb. With the 13x6,5 the Sensei will hovre. I converted the plane to taildragger for ground clearance.
When the weather is cold (norwegian winter), I have no problem with overheating esc, motor or battery. I tried out the stock esc with the 142g motor and a 12x6 prop. In theory the esc would have melted, but in this cold weather I had no problem!
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Last edited by Ole Jacob; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert Flyzone Sensei wmcneal Foamies (Kits) 7 Sep 30, 2013 04:00 PM