HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
Good to see some participation with the full-sizers. Our club flies at a private airstrip, of course the full-sizers have right-of-way, their primary notice on arrival is an western parallel runway pass behind our shed. They can also key up and announce their intentions since we have a receiver-only radio tuned to the airport frequency, that is what the boys and girls who fire up over in the hangar area usually do. When we hear them fire up we usually get in our landing pattern right-away and put ours down and wave hi to them as they pass our shed for taxi and takeoff.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Night Flying - LOTS OF FUN

Hi All,
Yesterday I took my son to our club's field and we did five night flights.
Before anyone spots it in the photos and decides to flame me, we did not use the SENSEI (although we could have) my son opted to fit his Cessna with the LED's.

We fitted LED's to the plane in such a way as to always be able to tell rigght from left, top from bottom and back from front so that orientation was not that difficult.

For runway lights we used candles stuck in old plastic cool-drink bottles with some sand in them, worked well but too much hassle, next time I will rig some electric lights to power from the car's battery.

In order to get familiar with the orientation our first take-off was at dusk, just as the sun dissapeared in the horizon. this allowed us to see the plane and the lights at the same time. once it is dark all you see are the lights.

It was simply AWESOME. after take-off I handed control to my son (on buddy cord). half way through the first flight I casually congratulated him on completing his 300th flight (in just over a year, he logs all his flights).

Add to it a barbecue and camping overnight with my boy in a beautifull full- moon night, it is all I can ask for.

This morning, he proceeded to fly the Sensei and our T28.

Attached are some photos.

If anyone is interested in tips regarding the night flying you are welcome to PM me.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Way kewl! What 182 are ya using? I've got a Flyzone 182 that's one of my favorite planes. Did a fair amount of customizing to it also, including my own "N" number.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Here it is marketed as the SAPAC Cessna 182. they are all pretty much the same. the wingspan is 1.4 M and uses an 11x4.7 slow flyer prop.

The Sensei is sold under 3 names in different places (also sold as HYPE and DISCOVERY)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:58 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
How sensitive is the CG? I have my battery on the front side of the compartment velcro'd in. Its a 3C 2200. It seemd to balance good but I don't have a balancer at the moment.
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
It's not very sensitive at all. Mine has ranged far outside the limits of what's in the manual. Barely needs a re-trim. I routinely change battery weights too. Using your fingers will be "good enough"
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
ASAmech,
don't worry about it.
The Sensei is very forgiving, at most you'll need a few clicks of trim on the elevator.

I use a 2200 Mah battery, and have added about 100 Grams of weight glued to the frotn of the inside part of the batt compartment.(behind the firewall)

If allows for much better penetration into winds and does away with some of the excess floatiness of the plane while still allowing it to glide nicely and land softly.

Brgds,
Danny
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Thanks all, Im still waiting to maiden it. when I got it, it had floats installed. I have never flown off water before so I took them off for when I do maiden it. However I would like to try to fly off water. Anyone flown off water with this plane before? What tricks are there to flying off water?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAMech View Post
Thanks all, Im still waiting to maiden it. when I got it, it had floats installed. I have never flown off water before so I took them off for when I do maiden it. However I would like to try to fly off water. Anyone flown off water with this plane before? What tricks are there to flying off water?
Go back a few pages, there is a whole thing about floats
on this plane.

Bob's Flyzone Sensei - Flying from boat (3 min 25 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post22053298
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Got some Sensei time in this evening. This lil pen camera that I use came from China,like so many of our oher good...and it's probably flown the distance halfway back to there on R/C planes!

Got to looking at the video and noticed that I'm gonna have to be replacing the nose tire soon. Also, whenever the prop is spinning the propwash will spin the nose-wheel.

Sensei 30 Dec 12 KMJD (3 min 48 sec)
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
Got to looking at the video and noticed that I'm gonna have to be replacing the nose tire soon. Also, whenever the prop is spinning the propwash will spin the nose-wheel.
Hi,
Personally I would not bother with replacing that nose-wheel. mine are far more worn out and still work well.

On the other hand, since I converted my Sensei to a tail-dragger it is much more fun. (see details and photos in previous posts)

Brgds,
Danny
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:17 AM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
First of all a Happy New Year to all you Sensei drivers. May we be blessed with good flying conditions every day.

This afternoon I was using my Real Flight 5.5 simulator - rotten flying conditions here today - and I discovered a Sensei plane available from the SwapPages. It is designed for RF 6 but I downloaded it and it works just fine. You will get one error message but it will still work on RF5.5.

There are a couple variants including a re-powered 3D version as well as some color skemes for the Hype - I Can Fly version. I recommend one variant that adjusts the glide characteristics. The sim plane has a feel close to the real Sensei.

With the snow on the ground I have fired up the sim occasionally. Maybe I will put skies on the Sensei.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Roger,
recently the Sensei (AKA HYPE) has become available as a free download for the PHEONIX simulator as well.

Other than that, we are just back from the field.
My boy did 5 flights with the Sensei and 4 with the T28.
I just flew my Radian Pro (too hot for anything else)
Brgds,
Danny
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:23 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Roger,
recently the Sensei (AKA HYPE) has become available as a free download for the PHEONIX simulator as well.

Other than that, we are just back from the field.
My boy did 5 flights with the Sensei and 4 with the T28.
I just flew my Radian Pro (too hot for anything else)
Brgds,
Danny
Danny,

You have to be really proud of your young man, he sounds like a boy with his head on straight. I was hoping my grand sons, 9 and 13, would take more of an interest on their visit last summer but it did not appear to be there.

Grandpa's desire for their interest exceeded reality I guess.

You are welcome to fly in my back yard - I guarantee you will not find it too hot - 18 degrees F this AM.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Sensei Motor Mount Question ?? Please Help...

I have a Sensei that has a broken off cowl and no motor mount. I am wanting to mount the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor which is
530 Watts.

Please help me with ideas of how to mount the motor on the Sensei. I don't really know how to do it, I was given the Sensei as you see in the picture so I dont even know how the stock motor mounts.

I just want to mount the 3536-1200kv, ideas please.?.?.?.
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland