SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
I had brought mine to work yesterday to do some aerial video...actually a "follow-up" to some construction that's taking place here. However, yesterday was simply too windy and today woulda been better except I got here just a tad late to get some fly time in. If the weather is on my side, then definately tomorrow morning then I'll have an update posted.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedStall View Post
The weather forecast is for winds between 4-5 mph tomorrow morning... so I'm heading to the field to get this plane in the air! All systems go!

I've hangar tested the Sensei and the throws are all in spec and I believe I've got the COG within range though I may add some weight to the nose as I'm flying with a 2200mAh battery that weighs only 5.90 oz. In the picture below I've got my support posts at the marks on the aileron servo covers. From that location the plane looks a little tail heavy. I think if I had moved the supports back the 1/4" allowed the plane would be level. Any opinions?

I've snuck a couple of skydivers into the cargo hold and if everything looks good in flight I'll probably flip the switch and let 'em drop.
Hi Lowspeed,

I think you are a lot tail heavy. I balanced mine with the Great Plaines balance machine and they provide a very light spirit level - all plastic. I tape it on the horizontal stab and then add weight to the nose until the plane sets level. I than add a little more to get the plane a half a bubble nose heavy.

I attached a length of velcro on the ledge inside the battery compartment - left side. I use quarters taped together with velcro attache and set the weight on the ledge. I would not attempt a flight as it sits now. I flew a little tail heavy once and had all kinds of problems turning from downwind to a cross wind. The plane would drop its tail and I nearly lost it to a stall.

Here is a picture of mine on the machine.

Good luck to you. You will enjoy this plane.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
I think you are a lot tail heavy.
Roger Roger. I took your advice and added some nose weight. It took less than one ounce to get the plane into this slightly nose down attitude balancing right at the servo cover depth. We'll fly the maiden like this and then see about rebalancing based on the flight characteristics. Thanks for your help.
LowSpeedStall is offline Find More Posts by LowSpeedStall
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Did fly mine this morning, but didn't get the site that I wanted to have on the vid...but gives me an excuse for having to fly yet again...

Sensei 28 Dec 12 (2 min 25 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Maiden Flight

Flew my Sensei this morning for the first time. Success! Takeoffs required nothing more than increasing the throttle and keeping the nose pointed down the runway. She gathered speed and then lifted just like a full-size plane - very scale. I flew around a bit and the plane responded very nicely and then brought her in for a landing. A couple of bounces and she rolled to a stop. Not the greatest landing but the first flight was done.

I almost didn't fly this morning as I discovered that the nose wheel was loose. This wheel was turned at a 45 degree angle when I pulled the fuselage out of the box. I thought I had everything aligned and tightened, but I guess not. I had only a large phillips screwdriver with me for attaching the wings so no go on a repair. Luckily right before I left the field another pilot showed up and he had the little screwdriver I needed. A relatively easy fix but it didn't last as my last landing was a bit bumpy and I bounced on the front wheel and knocked it loose again. Now that I've got the plane home I'll take a closer look at the servo connectors and see if something is stripped. Maybe just another tightening and then a drop of CA on it.

Between my first and last landings I was able to grease a couple as well. There was a 5+ crosswind and I had to play with the controls to crab in a bit. But the plane handles breezes decently and I never felt I was going to lose control.

Love the plane and can't wait until next time. I've got to work on my skydiver dropping as he kept getting caught in the door and was dangling beneath the plane on one landing. I tried putting a rock inside the chute but that was just dumb. It dropped but came straight down. Next time I'll wrap the chute around the rock so it drops away easily. I used to know all this stuff when I was about 6 and we would make chutes and wrap rocks with them so we could throw them higher. Just forgot for some reason...

Happy flying!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Did fly mine this morning, but didn't get the site that I wanted to have on the vid...but gives me an excuse for having to fly yet again...
Nice living in the South, right mds? A little chilly at my field in Tampa this morning (42 degrees) but no snow and still flying. Besides, the cold gave me an excuse to wear my leather bomber jacket that I have almost no need for in these warm climes.

Thanks for the vid. I may look into a key fob camera for my plane so I can get some of those interesting aerial shots.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Congratulations on a successful maiden flight LowSpeed!

Did you C/G balance seem ok? You made quite a change. I have had trouble with drops too and I haven't been doing any for awhile. I have to get the "Candy Drop" perfected for the grand children visits this summer.

The 808 #16 key bob seems to be a decent low price camera and there is thread on it in Aerial Photography.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Yes, nice living in the south. This morning was a bit chilly here and even still a bit windy, but well within my "comfort zone".

Whoever designed this plane did an awesome job. Almost anyone with a basic understanding of flight could be sucessful. I've added a fair amount of other planes to my hangar and this is the only one that is labelled as a "trainer" but still one of my favorites. One key feature for me is even though it's a relatively big plane two small nylon screws and two servo plugs later and it's ready for transport. Also, makes it much easier to do any servo/pushrod adjustments without dismantling the entire plane..

lowspeedstall: To help with the bounce on landings, consider replacing the hard as a brick foam tires for some rubber low bounce
wheel/tires. They make the plane look mucho better, work better in grass, and of course help smooth out the landings.
Last edited by mds47588; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Congratulations on a successful maiden flight LowSpeed!

Did you C/G balance seem ok? You made quite a change. I have had trouble with drops too and I haven't been doing any for awhile. I have to get the "Candy Drop" perfected for the grand children visits this summer.

The 808 #16 key bob seems to be a decent low price camera and there is thread on it in Aerial Photography.
Thanks! It flew well where I had it although I think I'll experiment a bit and move the cog around until I think I've found perfection. Thanks for the info on the camera - I'll check it out.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,502 Posts
Quote:

lowspeedstall: To help with the bounce on landings, consider replacing the hard as a brick foam tires for some rubber low bounce wheel/tires. They make the plane look mucho better, work better in grass, and of course help smooth out the landings.
Then you can put them on your Flylite!

Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
To help with the bounce on landings, consider replacing the hard as a brick foam tires for some rubber low bounce wheel/tires. They make the plane look mucho better, work better in grass, and of course help smooth out the landings.
Yes, the tires are very hard. I did grease some landings with them though so I have to attribute the bounces to pilot error. As I am finding with my park flyer, keeping some speed up so the plane is flying into the landing rather than just gliding in seems to help. When I am tweaking the throttle a bit then I can really level out low and set the rear wheels down gently. I've got to practice that way too as the AT-6 I hope to fly next month stalls very easily and has to be flown down all the way with the throttle.

Keep posting the vids!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
Sensei going to be here Wednesday per UPS. Planning on doing some mods. Going to cut in Flaps and use HS-55's to drive them. Going to make it a stand way off Cessna 180, so Oklahoma Tail Dragger mod. Going to cover the whole thing in Towerkote low temp covering, and use covering for hinges. Going to put small rare earth magnets in to hold the cowl on. Planning stock power setup to begin with at least with PZ 9.5x7.5 prop. I got the RTF so I'd have the radio to use with the Super Cub and Beaver also ;-)

Going to add around 3" wheels, see what looks best. May try for a more scale looking tailwheel setup. I'll post pictures as I go along of the build progress.

Also, thinking about pulling out all the nose weight and going to larger battery for balance, at least have usable weight....
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 16.5% J-3 Cub
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
Your INVERTED!
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
mds47588

Pretty sure the guys in the control tower here would poop a brick or two if I tried that! Anyone ever say anything to you about flying RC at the airport? I fly at several small public fields, but none with towers.....

Looked good, hard to video something you want like that, I have tried it in the past several times, worked best for me with a side mounted camera and fly orbits around the house at a couple different altitudes till I got it right....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
Your INVERTED!
Joined Jul 2005
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSpeedStall View Post
I used to know all this stuff when I was about 6 and we would make chutes and wrap rocks with them so we could throw them higher. Just forgot for some reason...

Happy flying!
Love it....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
KHSA: The tower opens at 7:00am and even then I've got a hand held radio that I can hear anyone in the pattern, but I'm up and away and re-charging batteries before then in most cases. For the record, they only have authority over the taxiway and runway and seem to kinda enjoy it as there's not much traffic at all there.

KASD: Ok place to fly. There's even less traffic there. I've got a side business there and my boat is also kept in a hangar there as well.

KMJD: Absolutely the best place I'm aware of locally to fly at..too bad it's at a real airport. The manager will come out and watch and enjoy the show. Come sunset, the mosquito's are taxiing out to begin their aerial assault.

Not been there yet, but there's an AMA flying club about 20 miles north of me. Where do they fly at...the Poplarville airport!