HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
My son and I made a parachutist ... DO NOT LOOK AT THE PARACHUTE AS IT FALLS DOWN!!!! doing so will cause you to take your eyes off the plane and can have really bad results. get someone else to spot it for you.
Neat idea for a skydiver. I'm going to poke around and find something suitable to drop with a parachute too. My plane is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so I'll get a good look at the drop door and cargohold.

I appreciate the advice for having a spotter. I've become disoriented flying while changing position in a large field. It's tough looking down to see what you're about to step into and then look up and try to find your plane. Can't imagine what would happen if I also tried to chew gum at the same time!
LowSpeedStall is offline Find More Posts by LowSpeedStall
Last edited by LowSpeedStall; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,563 Posts
I got a bag of 12 mini skydivers from party city or any party supply store and have done mass drops of up to 6, however I made launch tubes inside the bomb bay. I used toilet paper rolls as I found the jumpers tended to get trapped on the underside of the plane. . I also found mini gliders at ocean state job lot that should fit in the bomb bay as well!!!!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Lowspeed,
I recommend that you spend the first 10 flights (at least) just getting familiar with the plane.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTALJR View Post
I got a bag of 12 mini skydivers from party city or any party supply store and have done mass drops of up to 6, however I made launch tubes inside the bomb bay. I used toilet paper rolls as I found the jumpers tended to get trapped on the underside of the plane. . I also found mini gliders at ocean state job lot that should fit in the bomb bay as well!!!!
I just ordered these from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 I'll have to see how many I can get to drop.

I'll have to look at the mini gliders as I was thinking that would be pretty cool to drop them.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Lowspeed,
I recommend that you spend the first 10 flights (at least) just getting familiar with the plane.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, although the Sensei will only be my third plane, I've come to recognize that each plane has its own flight characteristics and idiosynchronies. I look forward to seeing how this plane performs. From what I've read it seems to be pretty docile with no real nasty stall tendencies. My first flights will be to confirm that performance. Of course, if I crash and burn on my maiden I'll have missed my only chance to drop something from the plane. Hmmm, I might have to slip a skydiver in there after all.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
If you have already flown other planes you'll no problems with the Sensei.
It is very stable and forgiving (up to a point )
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Wells Fargo Wagon

The UPS truck pulled up in front of the house this afternoon and after a couple of minutes drove off. About 5 minutes later they reappeared and delivered my Sensei. I told them they had me all excited when they first showed up and then I was crushed when they drove away.

So my Sensei arrived in a big brown box. Everything checked out OK - just a couple of minor flaws in the wings - nothing to really detract from the look or performance. Just finished putting it together. No glue, no fuss - just a couple of bolts and screws. Very nicely designed. First experience with the Faslink connectors on the push rods and I was a little worried I was going to break one taking them off. Again, no problem - they held together nicely and look like they'll do the job.

Went to test the plane's servos and found I had bought the exact opposite EC3 to Deans plug adapter that I need - Doh! Back to the LHS tomorrow for an exchange. Oh well, anticipation...

The only weird thing about the plane is that the front wheel is pointing to the right and the rudder is to the left (facing the plane). The plane would definitely turn left with the current setup on the ground but go right in the air. Looks like I may have to adjust the pushrods at the rudder servo to get this in-sync. Second plane (of three) that have had rudder control issues out-of-the-box. Could be worse...

Weather looks a bit windy until around Thursday of next week so I've got some time to get everything squared away. I definitely like it calm when I fly. It will be interesting to see how the big plane handles the breezes - my little Wing Dragon (30" wingspan and 13oz flying weight) has a hard time with anything more than about 8 mph.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:44 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
I got a little Sensei flying in tonight before the weather degrades the next few days. Normally I would know the exact minutes but I was flying a lot of time with the throttle about 1/4 open and turns out it was probably below the timer's trigger point on my Tx.

I estimate I was in the air about 7 or 8 minutes but at the end the elapsed time display was just over 4 minutes. I have now reset the trigger point three clicks above off on my Futaba 7C Tx so should get time of the complete flights in the future.

If anyone is looking for a repower recommendation I am completely satisfied with the Firepower 450 Sport (2836-11) motor - if you are looking for more minutes in air on a battery with trainer like performance.

** Lowspeed - Good luck on your first Sensei flight **

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, IN, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
I just assembled one of these yesterday. Pretty easy to put together other than my cat attacking the foam the whole time. She has an issue with it for some reason.

The only issue so far is the rudder turns further one direction than the other. Like Lowspeed, I'm going to have to make some adjustments.

Now if the wind would just settle down so I could get the maiden voyage done. 22 mph tomorrow.
Dirty Bob is offline Find More Posts by Dirty Bob
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
Norway, Aust-Agder, Arendal
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Modifying my Discovery trainer (Sensei or U Can Fly) with new motor, esc and prop.
Ole Jacob is offline Find More Posts by Ole Jacob
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
50A esc and 12x6 prop.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Stator Dimensions 28x32 mm
Dimensions (diameter x length) 35x44,7mm
Shaft diameter 4mm
Weight 142gram
Recommended prop without gearbox 9-12"
Internal resistance 0,048Ohm
Max Power 605W
Kv (rpm/v) 1000
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Jacob View Post
Stator Dimensions 28x32 mm
Dimensions (diameter x length) 35x44,7mm
Shaft diameter 4mm
Weight 142gram
Recommended prop without gearbox 9-12"
Internal resistance 0,048Ohm
Max Power 605W
Kv (rpm/v) 1000
Wow! That is lot of motor. Your first picture shows what appears to be a 2650 mah battery - is that what you are planning on using?

Let us know how it works out when you get it in the air.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Wow! That is lot of motor. Your first picture shows what appears to be a 2650 mah battery - is that what you are planning on using?

Let us know how it works out when you get it in the air.
The weather here in Norway is pretty much cold an dark at this time of year, but I had a chance this afternoon with almost zero wind.
The take-off was at half throttle, and it felt like just before. With full throttle I could now go vertical! It was perfect balanced with the 2650 mah lipo and new motor.
The only thing I did not like was the programming of th esc. Helicopter mode has a bit of delay.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
607 Posts
Maiden Tomorrow

The weather forecast is for winds between 4-5 mph tomorrow morning... so I'm heading to the field to get this plane in the air! All systems go!

I've hangar tested the Sensei and the throws are all in spec and I believe I've got the COG within range though I may add some weight to the nose as I'm flying with a 2200mAh battery that weighs only 5.90 oz. In the picture below I've got my support posts at the marks on the aileron servo covers. From that location the plane looks a little tail heavy. I think if I had moved the supports back the 1/4" allowed the plane would be level. Any opinions?

I've snuck a couple of skydivers into the cargo hold and if everything looks good in flight I'll probably flip the switch and let 'em drop.