Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Correct, I do fly off of a hard surface. Actually a taxiway or ramp, depending at which airport I'm at. The grass at these two locations is just a bit thick to land/takeoff from.

I did manage to fly from a huuuuge construction site awhile go and a had a really hard-packed and dry dirt surface. That was pretty cool to see the dust plumes kicked up by the tires and to see where the tracks started/ended where the plane lifted off or landed!
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
Brkn Prop
United States, NV, Cold Springs
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
Another fine flying day in North Las Vegas, 3rd time for me flying my Sensei, NICE
Scratchgoose is offline Find More Posts by Scratchgoose
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I've been flying the acro-wot lately and having a blast. I tried to get a pair of 3sx3.0 packs into the sensei , but wound up just flying them seperate 15 minute flights. What a difference in planes between the acro-wot and the sensei. 2 very nice relaxing flights back to back a few days ago.

Funny tree story , it a little skrawny thing right in the corner of my yard where I land. If I stand too close to it I can't perceive depth when landing between it and the fence. My sensei just barely brushed it upon landing the other day. It must've just barely skimmed it. I have threatened to remove that tree many times. So far it is up to only about $20 of damage.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
264 Posts
gulio,

For some unknown reason foamies love trees. I too have an old Apple tree in a bad spot for landing when the winds in the south. All but two of my planes have made a stop-over in the tree. The two that have not hit it have not been flown.

It must be a magnetic like attraction - certainly not the pilot.

Waiting on good weather to get the Sensei in the air again. I am going to try a APC 9X4.7SF prop and see if I can extend my fly time some more.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Planning on some flying tomorrow after the turkey stuff. For me, the day's are simply too short save the weekends.

Also, has anyone noticed some of the prices on Tower's website? The 182 Select Scale (which I also have) and the Corvalis are at nearly give-a-way prices.

$139 for the Corvalis TXR
$159 for the Corvalis RTF...yep, that includes the Tactic 6 ch radio.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
208 Posts
My plane likes to fly towards the sun too. Again; not pilot error of course.....
mrdd54 is offline Find More Posts by mrdd54
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd54 View Post
My plane likes to fly towards the sun too. Again;
not pilot error of course.....
Hi mrdd54,

Of course it is not pilot error. But I have a question. Do you mean your plane tends to want to climb?

I have my plane balanced with a slight nose heavy attitude and it tends to loose altitude but is correctible by applying up trim to the elevators.

Just curious.

Roger
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightfly View Post
Hi mrdd54,

Of course it is not pilot error. But I have a question. Do you mean your plane tends to want to climb?

I have my plane balanced with a slight nose heavy attitude and it tends to loose altitude but is correctible by applying up trim to the elevators.

Just curious.

Roger
No it's not a trimming issue. I tend to fly ALL my planes in that general direction. Haven't figured out why yet. Guess I'm a sun worshiper.....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:26 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,734 Posts
Hmm seems some others have had some success with getting replacement parts, not sure how long the warranty is on this but I replaced the wings on mine after it had a meeting with a tree, I have to remember to take the plane back a little sooner, after flying sports and 3d planes for a bit forget this thing takes a little while to decide to change direction....
Anyways took her out to fly for the first time after the repair, just seemed to be not quite flying right, then a squeal from the motor and smoke
No flames, controls are still working so I figured it was just the motor, got her on the ground and yep, smelled like fried motor.
Going to see if they will replace the motor, although as most others here I am thinking I might just upgrade the motor/esc combo for a little better cruising and climb authority, as well as getting rid of the weights. First time I have ripped the cowl off of this bird, so it might take me a while but with this wonderful thread should not be too hard.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
Hmm seems some others have had some success with getting replacement parts, not sure how long the warranty is on this but I replaced the wings on mine after it had a meeting with a tree, I have to remember to take the plane back a little sooner, after flying sports and 3d planes for a bit forget this thing takes a little while to decide to change direction....
Anyways took her out to fly for the first time after the repair, just seemed to be not quite flying right, then a squeal from the motor and smoke
No flames, controls are still working so I figured it was just the motor, got her on the ground and yep, smelled like fried motor.
Going to see if they will replace the motor, although as most others here I am thinking I might just upgrade the motor/esc combo for a little better cruising and climb authority, as well as getting rid of the weights. First time I have ripped the cowl off of this bird, so it might take me a while but with this wonderful thread should not be too hard.
Taking off the cowl is a little bit of a p.i.a. but it does come off. I took a flexible putty knife I had lying around, and just wiggled it in and around the cowling while pulling on the cowling with my other hand. It came off in one piece.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
264 Posts
Quote:
If you have not tried taking off your cowl, check out this early post by "Sykon" on page 41 post 671. It is very helpfull. Below is a url that should get you directly to the post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=671

If you decide to repower check out some of the posts in this thread - lots of information available here. I am currently running a 220 watt 450 size motor after having tried a larger 10 size. I have a post a few pages back on my motor experience and why I went to the small 450 size motor.

Good luck,
Roger
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,734 Posts
Thanks, I am either going to go the brass or computer case way to get the cowl off. Hmm a 450 size, I was thinking of taking the weight of the motor, counterweights, and if I decide to re-do the motor mount and figure out a good motor combo that will do what I want, I am thinking of going with a Slow flier prop possibly, so I am not looking as much for KV as for that grunt to gain altitude a little faster when the wife, kids, and strangers roll her off towards the trees and I try and talk them through recovering a little longer than I should....
I was looking at the cowl, and this is something I have looked at doing for a while with this plane anyways.

Quote:
If you have not tried taking off your cowl, check out this early post by "Sykon" on page 41 post 671. It is very helpfull. Below is a url that should get you directly to the post.

If you decide to repower check out some of the posts in this thread - lots of information available here. I am currently running a 220 watt 450 size motor after having tried a larger 10 size. I have a post a few pages back on my motor experience and why I went to the small 450 size motor.

Good luck,
Roger
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,734 Posts
Quote:

Good luck,
Roger
Interesting that you got that short of flight times on a 3536-10 just wondering what the KV rating was and what you had for a prop on it? I will be doing some math to figure out what will work good on this beast, I do have a few 450 motors kicking around that I will be working with as well, I will post some results here both static and in the air.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,734 Posts
I suppose I should have taken some pics, had to open up the center hole a bit for the park 350's grommet to fit, should work good in there until I get the cheaper HK with a little higher KV rating and a little more grunt for when I put floats and ski's on her. Cowl was not that hard to get off either.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Jan 2010
264 Posts
Quote:
Interesting that you got that short of flight times on a 3536-10 just wondering what the KV rating was and what you had for a prop on it? I will be doing some math to figure out what will work good on this beast, I do have a few 450 motors kicking around that I will be working with as well, I will post some results here both static and in the air.
Hi Sky!

Both the Firepower 10 Sport and Firepower 450 Sport came from HeadsUp RC. The 10 size motor (3536-10) is a 450 watt 1050 kv motor. The 450 (2836-11) is a 220 watt 1100 kv motor.

With the original motor I was getting 7 - 8 minute flights. So far the 450 with an APC 10 X 4.7SF is giving me 5 minute flights only consuming about 40% of the battery 3s 2200 mah 30C. The 10 size with either an APC 11 X 4.7SF or 10 X 4.7SP was using over 90% of battery capacity with a 5 minute flight.

The plane is slightly more responsive than the original motor with the 450. It probably will be a while before I fly again as the weather is looking like winter months now.

Looking forward to the results of your testing.

Roger