HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
26 Posts
I have never used the stock motor due to the horror stories on this motor or esc. I replaced the stock esc with a 40 rated esc and a Turnigy Park 480 1020 kv. Bolts up to stock motor mount. Plane files great about 10 min flight with Turnigy 2200mah battery. It is amazing to me why they don't make the plane easier to service and a better motor mount to start with. Don't the people that make these planes ever have to service them.
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, MI, Grosse Pointe Park
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
Repair tip - Molding plastic to make a part

While working on a friend's iMac computer, I needed a special tool to open the back. While searching for one, I stumbled on this youtube video that shows how to make one out of an old credit or gift card. It worked like a charm and I immediately thought of applications in the R/C plane world for making custom parts, repairs or reinforcing material that may require a special shape. See the video for details, but basically all you have to do is have a mold or form ready that is in the shape you need. Dip an old credit or gift card into boiling water for a couple of seconds with some tongs. You will feel it soften up. Then, quickly remove from the boiling water and press it around the shape you have ready or form it as required. When it cools (just a few seconds), the plastic will stiffen back up and hold the shape.

Video showing how to make the tool, but you will get the idea (jump to the 2:00 minute mark for the actual making of the tool):
Make your own "Apple Access Card Tool" for Free (4 min 21 sec)

Please post back if you use this tip, I would love to know how it was used.

Blue Skies,
Gary
Gary__W is offline Find More Posts by Gary__W
Last edited by Gary__W; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
66 Posts
Another Motor Swap

I've been wanting to replace the stock motor for some time and finally got around to doing it. After too many nose over landings the motor shaft had a slight bend and the motor mount had been deformed and reshaped several times. I used a GForce G10 (1100 KV) from Value Hobby. http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-g10...ess-motor.html I used the G10 motor mount and attached it to the original metal firewall. I drilled and tapped 3 4-40 holes and oriented the mount as shown in the picture. The motor and prop adapter were the correct size for the prop to clear the cowling. I did cut out some of the foam on the bottom of the round opening in front of the cowling to give more clearance to the bottom of the motor. This mounting method eliminated the stock motor mount which has been a constant source of problems for me. The new motor is very close to the weight of the original motor and mount. I experimented some with the front weights, using 3, 4 or all five. Currently I have all 5 back in but that is probably one too many. Next time I have the cowling off I'll probably remove one. I also used a couple of washers under the motor mount as shims to introduce a slight down and right thrust angle to the prop

Since I wasn't sure of the power rating of the original ESC I installed a 45 amp ESC that came out of my ElectroStik. I mounted the ESC inside the battery compartment to compensate for shorter motor cables and to allow more clearance for the motor.

This motor has way more power than the original. My watt meter showed this pulling 240 watts and 20 amps, well within the capability of the ESC I'm using. It is probably overkill and a 480 size would be more than adequate but would be slightly smaller and require building out the firewall to clear the cowling. Flying at half throttle with the stock 10 x 5 prop I'm getting around 7.5 minutes on a 2200 battery. This is probably a minute and a half less than I got with the stock motor but not too bad considering the added power.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Nice job , it sounds like it time for a bigger prop then, right?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:45 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Well that's an interesting way to do it. Not bad at all. Definitely go to a bigger prop.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:47 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
you should try the 11x5.5E.
I use it with an Eflite Park 480 1020Kv.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
So is there a goto more powerful engine that fits the existing firewall? Thinking about upgrading mine. Better ESC of course.

I can do rolls but just doesn't feel "comfortable" if you know what I mean.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,262 Posts
--just cut off 1 inch of foam and gorilla glue 1/4" plywood firewall. Works great and very strong.
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--just cut off 1 inch of foam and gorilla glue 1/4" plywood firewall. Works great and very strong.
Which Gorilla glue do you use? I had tried the Brown Gorrilla glue on another project trying to glue a piece of plywood to the fuse for landing gear attachment and it tore off on the first "almost" gentle landing. But than maybe nothing would have held it.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I use this one. Its crazy strong. The glue never breaks, the stuff around it breaks first. Pour some on a piece of cardboard or something and add a drop or two of water and stir before use.

Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,262 Posts
I used the 30 minute white gorrilla glue. Just follow the directions and make sure to clamp it.
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
BOMB BREAKER
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Sensei Drop (0 min 12 sec)
Bomb run:
EOD_Pete is offline Find More Posts by EOD_Pete
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I need some advise about selling my spare Sensei stuff. I have decided to sell my extra parts planes and wonder if I'm better off selling them as pretty much RXR OR parting them out. If I part them out I sure wouldn;t be removing parts that are already built/glued in like servos and such. I'd just sell the complete fuse with motor,esc,servos ect. The other parts I'd sell seperately though since they're already seperate.

I think a lot of people would like parts or even plane without motor,esc,rx , right?

What do you guys think? part it out or sell it as complete RXR? I've never sold a plane before.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I dont know how many planes you want to sell but if you're asking about the sensei, Id sell it as a whole package. How long you really want to drag out the sale of dozen or so parts at a few bucks a piece, dealing with all the bs of online selling, questions, haggles, shipping etc etc. Not worth it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
USA, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Sep 2000
135 Posts
Sensei motor upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
So is there a goto more powerful engine that fits the existing firewall? Thinking about upgrading mine. Better ESC of course.

I can do rolls but just doesn't feel "comfortable" if you know what I mean.

Robert
My Diamond RC. Com Gunther 2810 works great in my Radian Pro Contest Foamy! Best thrust to weight per $. So I bought a motor and swapped my burned out 33 amp stock outrunner motor. The Gunther barely clears the sides of the metal motor mount. It only weighs 99 grams but I removed the nose wheel in my tail dragger conversion and removed the 5 lead ballast plates in the nose cowl area. So I know have usefull weight in the nose to make MAX EFFORT takeoffs in 5 feet and climb vertically. I reduce the power to hover the Sensei. The 12x6 APC prop on 3S 2200 pulls 40 amps and 400 watts on the wattmeter. I'm using a Hobby Lobby/JGRC ERC 65 Amp ESC with brake enabled for soaring/belly landings. Stock main gear with Dubro axles with Multiplex Fun Cub Tundra tires/hubs. Stearable tail gear when it's on the ground! Modified Sensei weighs 54.35 oz or 3.39 lb or 117.9 watts per pound. I unscrew the two main gear bolts to fly with out gear for less drag, less weight and to soar with Radian motorgliders! victyber@gmail.com
VicT is offline Find More Posts by VicT