HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briguyy View Post
Hi Kimber, thats alot of flying...what size batteries are you using?
Thanks.
Sky Lipos, 3 cell 2650mah. Around twelve minutes of good flying. Showing about
35% remaining.

It was a near perfect day, wind clam to five.

BTW, the heavier battery, shorter, fits perfect, It is square, helps with
the landings, it doesn't float near as bad. Slight nose heavy, flairs like
a real plane. You have to hold the nose up just a bit, helps slow it
down.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Sep 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Sky Lipos, 3 cell 2650mah. Around twelve minutes of good flying. Showing about
35% remaining.

It was a near perfect day, wind clam to five.

BTW, the heavier battery, shorter, fits perfect, It is square, helps with
the landings, it doesn't float near as bad. Slight nose heavy, flairs like
a real plane. You have to hold the nose up just a bit, helps slow it
down.
I just found them online for a great price. I was looking at the dims, do you have any problems fitting em in the battery hatch?
Thanks
briguyy is offline Find More Posts by briguyy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briguyy View Post
I just found them online for a great price. I was looking at the dims, do you have any problems fitting em in the battery hatch?
Thanks
No, you have to wiggle the wires in a bit.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2650-3s1p-20c-3333.html

Not really square, but not as flat as the 2200's we were using that
cost $54. The five we have cost less than the first two we bought.
The first two would not balance and Tower sent use two more
and they had the same problem, we got a credit and the
battery is now discontinued.
Last edited by Kimber; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Jan 2012
65 Posts
Back in the air

After my mid air crash (post 1824) the Sensei is back up and flying. I first tried to fix the wing but one side was so badly warped it was not generating enough lift. So I broke down and bought another wing and she flies pretty good. I was able to repair all the fuselage damage. I'm still using the stock motor and esc (175 flights) but think it may be time to upgrade those. I've had so many nose over landings the motor shaft has a slight bend that shows as minor prop wobble.
mpalexa is offline Find More Posts by mpalexa
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I got a hobbyking motor for like 5 bucks and it flies awesome. Get a few of those, more power than stock and if it blows who cares?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
79 Posts
Sensi on floats!

Seatleboy,
Please let us see how you mounted it on floats. I have one coming Monday and have already built the Apprentice floats from Seaplanesupply.com. for it. Won't have time to trim it on wheels cause floatfly is Sunday . Hope it has the power to break the surface. Like the idea of adjustable height front mount for pos. incidence. please send pics or describe. Thanks
bigrap is offline Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrap View Post
Seatleboy,
Please let us see how you mounted it on floats. I have one coming Monday and have already built the Apprentice floats from Seaplanesupply.com. for it. Won't have time to trim it on wheels cause floatfly is Sunday . Hope it has the power to break the surface. Like the idea of adjustable height front mount for pos. incidence. please send pics or describe. Thanks
I was not able to do this one but my design is to have an inverted Y and use piano wire same size as the front wheel mount and just use the collet to adjust the vertical. The cowl will need to be removed to do this. The legs are thinner wire and bent at the ends to mount on the floats along with a spreader wire to ensure rigidity in the horizontal plane. The mains mount provides rear float attachment points. This design accomplishes two things: uses existing structure and adjustable incidence.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,233 Posts
--Hobbypartz motors and 25c lipos in stock

--Ordered Tacon Bigfoot 10 for the Parkzone T-28

--Have a 15 size outrunner on the Sensei

http://www.hobbypartz.com/bigfooutrubr.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace3s25c.html
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
79 Posts
Sensei on floats!

Wow, just got back from the lake for 1st flight with Sensei ever. This plane was made for floats! Stock power on floats made for the Apprentice by seaplanesupply.com.. Very realistic takeoffs and landings with plenty of power to loop repeatedly from level flight an roll. Touch and goes are amazeing. Did use prop from T28 for more power. Also put rudders on each float. Set the control horns for more than they say and you won't be disappointrd! Didn't need much trim, just a little down trim. Plane is steady as a rock and lands itself! Esc was very cool after many flights. Must have fixed that problem @ the factory. Can't wait for the Beaver with floats and flaps to arrive. Same wingspan and weight and no dieheadral. Looks good on u tube.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrap View Post
Wow, just got back from the lake for 1st flight with Sensei ever. This plane was made for floats! Stock power on floats made for the Apprentice by seaplanesupply.com.. Very realistic takeoffs and landings with plenty of power to loop repeatedly from level flight an roll. Touch and goes are amazeing. Did use prop from T28 for more power. Also put rudders on each float. Set the control horns for more than they say and you won't be disappointrd! Didn't need much trim, just a little down trim. Plane is steady as a rock and lands itself! Esc was very cool after many flights. Must have fixed that problem @ the factory. Can't wait for the Beaver with floats and flaps to arrive. Same wingspan and weight and no dieheadral. Looks good on u tube.
Pictures,pictures,pictures
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
79 Posts
Sorry, Can't seem to be able to post pics.:
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jul 2011
88 Posts
Not enough power in the Sensei

I've gone through 2 stock motors in my Sensei and now using NTM 3530 1100KV and I feel like there's just not enough power there to do loops, rolls etc that some guys apparently can do with this plane. It will barely do a loop although in level flight it moves right along. Motor runs good with proper rpm and draw is right at 28 amp on watt meter using good 2200 3S battery. I haven't changed any of the throws from recomended settings yet and maybe thats what I need to do. It just seems like its a big heavy sluggish bird and I like it a lot otherwise. I would like to continue using my 3S 2200's if possible because I have a pile of them. Any suggestions?
zamjohn is offline Find More Posts by zamjohn
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,295 Posts
What prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamjohn View Post
I've gone through 2 stock motors in my Sensei and now using NTM 3530 1100KV and I feel like there's just not enough power there to do loops, rolls etc that some guys apparently can do with this plane. It will barely do a loop although in level flight it moves right along. Motor runs good with proper rpm and draw is right at 28 amp on watt meter using good 2200 3S battery. I haven't changed any of the throws from recomended settings yet and maybe thats what I need to do. It just seems like its a big heavy sluggish bird and I like it a lot otherwise. I would like to continue using my 3S 2200's if possible because I have a pile of them. Any suggestions?
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,323 Posts
Ours has twenty or so flights, loops and rolls and stalls, never seems heavy. We put
in a larger battery to help get the nose a bit heavier and stop the floating on landing.

No complaint at all about the power. It is not a 3D bird.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamjohn View Post
Well , I was just gonna ask if the "stock" forum members thought a 11x5.5 prop was too much for stock motor and esc. I only flew it once with the 11x5.5 and have had many flights with all stock set-up. The 11x5.5 pulled 26 amps for me. I think the way I fly it would be ok to use the 11x5.5.

Mine in stock form does loops and rolls pretty easily , but the bird is just underpowered. There's no doubt about it. It really makes it a perfect flyer for what it's intended purpose is. I'm sure that my increased throws and rearward CG are helping me in loops and such. Are you using the stock esc? and as another asked , which prop are you using?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio