HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Hi,
Havent had any issues prior with the Orange X in either Sensi or the Alpha. I had to replace the front gear servo due to hard landings bending the front spring rod. I did like the Sensei alot very nice plane, easy to take apart for travel and only 2 minutes to get her ready to fly.
Guess my biggest peeve was the cowl in her early days and the small access to the battery compartment. Oh and the motor/esc combo some have been lucky and some have not.
I replaced my esc and motor to 40amp/3536-10 from HURC and had no issues other than low flight times on 2200 mah batts. I never did carve up the compartment for bigger batteries.
The guys with the Apprentice were getting 15 minutes stick time vs 6 minutes with bigger batteries and easier access. I'd have gladly dumped the bomb bay for a battery compartment OEM..I think with some minor rework it would be a really great plane..
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:29 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
--Two 2200 3s packs fit in the nose compartment for a total of 4400mah available.

--Two 2650 3s packs fit easily in the drop bay for a total of 5300mah available.

--Just plug them in parallel and good to go

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNKY8
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Again, I no longer have the STOCK 2-blade 10 X 5 propeller due to the crash of my model in the lake.

My model is flown with the ParkZone 2-Blade 9.75 X 7.5 and it is a great improvement over the STOCK 10 X 5.

Nothing over 22-AMPs & 226 Watts.

It has much higher Airspeed when throttle is at 3/4 -to- Full.

Carlos
I have seen many times your referring PKZ 9.75X7.5 but when I go to HH, I can only locate PKZ 9.5X7.5.....also I noticed that when installing stock battery to location where factory velcro installed, the battery will block the AIR HOLE VENT in bottom of fuse. I'm woundering if that could be contributing to MOTOR & ESC burn outs!
Ubernuts is offline Find More Posts by Ubernuts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
The top hatch is vented. The motor and ESC needs to be replaced. Power 10 or Power 15.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
The top hatch is vented. The motor and ESC needs to be replaced. Power 10 or Power 15.
I replaced my motor and esc with the Park Zone 480 1020 kv motor and 30 amp esc. The motor is a bolt in replacement if you reverse the shaft following the included directions. I chose to replace the existing mount by installing a new firewall using 1/8 ply along with a 1/8 ply doubler behind the firewall. All hardware required was included with the motor.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
NatchezTraceBandits
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
The Power 15 and PZ 480 1020kv motor should produce similar results based on this online prop/motor calculator http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?ecalc

I got the cheaper HobbyKing motor found here and it looks like the performance will be better. I had to have it shipped via HK post because I was also ordering lipos which they would not ship via EMS so it may be some time before I can update as to the fit/install mods required or the performance. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18162

Also, that calculator will advise as to whether a prop/ESC/motor combination could pull too much current and fry your motor or ESC. It may be a touch on the conservative side as I punched in some stock planes and it said the motor might pull too many amps.
dthankins is offline Find More Posts by dthankins
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
While I'm not the first to try this, I wanted to share my mod. I needed a bit more power for this trainer. Here is how I got it:

Emax GT2815/07 Outrunner Brushless Motor

Turnigy Plush 40A ESC

APC 10x5E prop

3S 2200 mAh Lipo battery.

Attachment 4752515 Attachment 4752516

The motor has 25mm mounting centers; this is different then the stock arrangement, but it is easy to modify the mount by drilling two holes. You can also make a new mount if you want to; I created the drawing to make the new mount, but the stock mount turned out to be strong enough, so I went with that. The GT2815/07 fits perfectly in the mount.

I used a 40A ESC because that is what I had on hand, you can use a 30A if you want. I mounted the ESC in the motor box, and found that it fit there perfectly. I tied both power and motor wires down so that the ESC cannot move. I could have used the stock ESC location, but this location gave better air-flow, and easier, no-interference with the cowl mounting. This also let me shorten the wires to the battery by 6 inches or so.

Power Measured:

Vinitial = 12.46 V
Volts = 11.4V, Amps = 25.9A, Watts = 296 W

The stock motor, ESC, and prop measured 215 watts.

Maiden flight with the new motor went great. It now fly's with authority at half throttle without sinking. I liked the Sensei before, but I always felt it did not have enough power. Just a bit more is what I wanted. Power to get out of trouble if needed, but not enough to make it too fast. This plane is meant to be used to train kids at our events, and I didn't want to alter its flying characteristics too much.

This plane is such a pleasure to take-off and land. It is a very relaxing flyer. Touch and goes, are so smooth and easy. It does balloon at bit, but as a trainer it is supposed to, just throttle back. It also fly's well in high winds, which is usually the case when we have an event (otherwise it is calm ).

It sounds by the entries in this thread, that most all are enjoying this wonderful plane. I know I am.

Nick

UPDATE: While trivial, I was going through my notes, and I realized that the power readings I originally reported were not the 1st power test; Here is that test:

Power Measured (updated):

Vinitial = 12.51 V
Volts = 11.7V, Amps = 26.9A, Watts = 318 W
I just received delivery of my Sensei and I am bummed out about stock motor and ESC concerns until I read your post. Thank You!

Just two questions please:

1. Is that the stock motor mount in your picture?
2. How did you get the cowl off so cleanly?

Thanks
Ubernuts is offline Find More Posts by Ubernuts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
-- I run 11x8.5e prop on 3s which is conservative for the Power 15 motor

--Motor does not even get warm, although it is putting out around 300 watts and under 33 amps WOT

--Sensei will take off and hold 45degree climbout easily (including carrying extra packs)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthankins View Post
The Power 15 and PZ 480 1020kv motor should produce similar results based on this online prop/motor calculator http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?ecalc

I got the cheaper HobbyKing motor found here and it looks like the performance will be better. I had to have it shipped via HK post because I was also ordering lipos which they would not ship via EMS so it may be some time before I can update as to the fit/install mods required or the performance. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18162

Also, that calculator will advise as to whether a prop/ESC/motor combination could pull too much current and fry your motor or ESC. It may be a touch on the conservative side as I punched in some stock planes and it said the motor might pull too many amps.
--This motor specs close to the Power 15 for half the price

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18162
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthankins View Post

--Power 15 is rated for 2X the watts output compared to 480
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Sep 2006
122 Posts
What ESC TO USE?

I found a thread way back in the archives and this was the setup they were using but never mentioned what ESC he used:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-10%29/Detail and a APC 11x 7 prop. With a 2200 mah 25c lipo

Any help would be geatly appreciated as my Sensei Motor just doesnt have the juice i need.
briguyy
briguyy is offline Find More Posts by briguyy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
If you go to the link you provided you will find they are suggesting a 40 amp ESC.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ESC/Categories
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I just ordered and received this motor after I burned my 480. Figured I'd give it a try for the price. Haven't ran it though. Just mounted it. Not sure if I should run it on the 30amp eflite esc that's still in the plane or if I should stick a bigger one on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16230
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
If it was my plane I'd go with the 40 amp ESC they suggest in the specs.

This plane deserves good gear ... the quality of the stock gear cost me ...... once is enough
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Might as well, I have some lying around, might as well play it safe. I'm already a bit nervous about a HK motor.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi