HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:56 AM
Almeria, Spain
Joined Dec 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by touche View Post
Well Tonight I broke the white servo arm for the front landing gear. I got it removed from the plane and off the servo rod. Damm I was having fun with her. So for the moment I am plane less..Anyone know if the servo arm is a standard part at the LHS or plane specific. Thanks
Ian
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html
alaire is offline Find More Posts by alaire
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
My Sensei is ready to go but the weather is looking bad so the first flight may have to be put off for a couple days.

How does the Park 480 compare to the stock motor, and what is the kv of the Park 480?

Are you guys using a 12x6 prop with the 480?

Thanks for your help.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
480 is a better motor, and no don't use a 12x6, that's too big, use a 10x7 or a 9.5x7.5.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
Too bad Kawi. From your description I can see where that would happen easily. I can imagine being so focused on the plane and such that other things zone out. I hope you get back into the sensei soon. It sure doesn't look like the kid got hurt. If one views the video without reading the circumstance it looks like it was on purpose.

Quite extensive damage to the plane man. Do you fix or just replace (like me) ?
You're right, if you don't know the story I look like an @$$#*le! LOL

So, now that I finally got the vid working, I'm going to post the story again with it since its a new page

Quote:
How's this for a sensei day! Went over to see some family and we're all into this stuff so I brought it along. Went to a nearby empty lot at an arena. I'm into the flight about 2 or 3 minutes and the whole time the motor is whining a bit, all of a sudden it squeels and shuts off. So I commence an emergency approach, I do a few turns overhead bleeding off some speed and altitude, and I'm lining up the plane for a long landing perpendicular to the lot so I have some grass run-off too, since I'm only getting one shot here. I bring it in for a perfect landing and as it rushes past me, I turn with it and what do I see, a car has parked right in my path! It's my cousin with his 2 little kids, I'm heading straight for him, I jam on the rudder to steer away but the plane has got too much speed and no traction, WHAM! Right into door and the kid! The plane actually hit the open door first, we all rushed over to see if the boy got hit but nobody was able to tell if he did or not, he was crying out of the shock, but he couldn't remember if he got hit or not either. At least nobody got hurt but it just goes to show, you can never be safe enough, always double check your landing spot, you just never know. I always do, but I was so fixated on the plane with no power I just assumed it was clear.

So despite a successful landing, the plane still ended up being damaged due to the car. Cracked fuse and a chunk out of the wing, plus a puncture on the other wing. Nothing big. But, I do need a new 480 motor. It actually burnt because one of the 3 wires got wedged between the spinning motor and the motor mount and rubbed on the motor until it burnt.
How that even got wedged in there is beyond me. Here's some pics and the vid.
pics of damage are still on previous page.

Oh, yes, and ignore the stupid time stamp, obviously wrong date.

9clipped (2 min 54 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Thanks Alaire,
Got a single Dubro from the LHS. Got it installed and the Sensei back together. Got a bit annoyed as I broke the servo arm for the front landing gear when I pushed the wire back in and of course didn't have that brand (? what maker) Had to change out one servo and drill new holes for the rudder/front gear. I wish they hadn't cut one arm off the bombay door servo arm as I could have salvaged that one.
If this girl lasts long enough I will have replaced everything 1 piece at a time...lol
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by touche View Post
Thanks Alaire,
Got a single Dubro from the LHS. Got it installed and the Sensei back together. Got a bit annoyed as I broke the servo arm for the front landing gear when I pushed the wire back in and of course didn't have that brand (? what maker) Had to change out one servo and drill new holes for the rudder/front gear. I wish they hadn't cut one arm off the bombay door servo arm as I could have salvaged that one.
If this girl lasts long enough I will have replaced everything 1 piece at a time...lol
Glad to hear your fixed, as you can see many of us are still in repair mode, Kawi was the last victim of Murphy's law

If you didn't go to a metal gear servo this time, you may want to google that, in this thread, for your next hard landing . That nose wheel can take a lot of pounding till we learn to flare it.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
I got flaring down really well, with all the dry ground there are lots of cracks in the earth. Been a few ripped off main wheels and fronts with sudden abrupt stops. Will see how this one holds up.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
My Sensei is ready to go but the weather is looking bad so the first flight may have to be put off for a couple days.

How does the Park 480 compare to the stock motor, and what is the kv of the Park 480?

Are you guys using a 12x6 prop with the 480?

Thanks for your help.
--There are two different 480 motors

--If your going to buy a motor, at least get a Power 10 -- Power 15 is even better

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1500

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1505

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4010A

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015A
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Last edited by G-Forse; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Nov 2011
340 Posts
wind indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Simple and easy to make, I like it. I may just carry a piece of fabric and tape it to my car antenna at the field.
something I have seen used for this purpose that worked quite well was old VCR recoding tape mounted on a tall stick in that was stuck into the ground. Actually it was used to indicate thermals passing through the flying field but it would work here as well. Its incredibly light, and shows the slightest hint of a breeze.
Rangie5169 is offline Find More Posts by Rangie5169
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Got 3 batteries through the Sensei today, it was dead calm at around 6:30 PM. The plane handles like it's on rails. What a great plane.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
1 PACK FOR ME. 27 minutes. What a nice gentle flyer. I flew 5 planes tonight.

Sensei,Millenium,corvalis,E-stik,SkyFkyMax. I made all 5 great landings. Compared to last night whoa , I was lucky to get 3 of them down in one piece. The wind was gusty and changing.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Well my Sensei is no more. Today I did 2 batteries and a few landings. Fellow wanted to take off so I did a fly around while he taxied out. As I came back around to line up for a landing run the old girl stopped responding to the controls. Swooped over from a hundred feet and went into the soya bean field.
Wings cracked and foam ripped at the screw joint. Nose in one piece tail in another. Bomb bay door ripped out. Prop shaft snapped off at the base of the motor. Tail/elev/rear fuse all in one piece. Cowl is dented. Brand new Turnigy 2200 battery has a crease in it now. Will have to test charge it in the old BBQ in case it goes up. Readings showed 3.85/11.3V when tested. All servos worked even though the crash ripped 2 of them out of the reciever. Only thing is perhaps a faulty RX although it worked properly when all was re hooked up. We have a few radio towers nearby but no issues reported at out field on 2.4..
So for the moment I am planeless still waiting on a new fuse for my Alpha 450.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
What tx are you using?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
Hi,
Spektrum DX6i 2 years old..OrangeX RX with sat antenna...After some thinking I am wondering...I have to remove the motor to repair the front wheel servo arm. I had disconnected the ESC to get it out of the way. I had also unplugged the sat antenna from the RX. I put it all back together and vaguely recall the sat antenna was a bit difficult to plug in. Wondering if I reversed the plug. It was after that when I had my 2 issues. Can;t say for sure I did that but wondering what the effect would be on receiver if the sat pin was in upside down.
Anyway got my new fuse for the Alpha 450 sport so I at least have a trainer to fly...One more thing to double check.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:32 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference. The sat just adds some redundancy, it's unlikely you lost reception because it wasn't plugged in, unlikely but not Impossible. I'm not sure about the orange rx but it may have been able to tell you. The Spektrum rx would have indicated a signal loss with a blinking yellow light or red for power. Too late now but it might be good to know for next time.