HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
NatchezTraceBandits
Joined Jul 2012
12 Posts
Regarding flaperons on the Sensei, it is a wonderful idea and the throw you need is so minimal you will never believe how little throw goes a long way on a light foamy with huge ailerons. Landings without flaperons floated past the runway or I had to start way far out but within minimal flaperons, it slows without stalling and settles in for a landing on the 1st half of the runway while still staying high until I clear the trees that border our flying field.

I had to buy 2 more servo wires to replaced the Y-harness wire to allow individual aileron control so I could do flaperons using my Spektrum Dx7s computer radio. Worked best at about 25% flaperons.
dthankins is offline Find More Posts by dthankins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthankins View Post
Regarding flaperons on the Sensei, it is a wonderful idea and the throw you need is so minimal you will never believe how little throw goes a long way on a light foamy with huge ailerons. Landings without flaperons floated past the runway or I had to start way far out but within minimal flaperons, it slows without stalling and settles in for a landing on the 1st half of the runway while still staying high until I clear the trees that border our flying field.

I had to buy 2 more servo wires to replaced the Y-harness wire to allow individual aileron control so I could do flaperons using my Spektrum Dx7s computer radio. Worked best at about 25% flaperons.
+1 and let's one go low and slow.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:58 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
flaperons --- next on the list --need servo wire extensions

sensie is a floater and needs something to slow it down due to its clean design and large wing
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Sep 2011
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
flaperons --- next on the list --need servo wire extensions

sensie is a floater and needs something to slow it down due to its clean design and large wing
Keep in mind flaperons won't really slowly you down, not enough drag. On this plane, they let you fly slower and come in steeper on approach.
seattlebuoy is offline Find More Posts by seattlebuoy
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Sensei + Futaba Tx?

These ARF 2.4 planes that come with Spectrum Rx and servos -- What must be done in order to fly them using another brand (Futaba 2.4?) of Tx? Change the Rx? Thanks.
loNslo is online now Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Yup, new receiver is all you need. They also sell receiver ready versions so you're not paying for a receiver you don't want.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
THREE minutes for an answer! You guys are the best.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I work long hours during the week, and spend a lot of my spare time either flying or on these forums. So many people have helped me I love to be able to answer questions when I can.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Also found info on that AnyLink adapter which is supposed to allow connection to most Tx's. And keeping an eye open for a deal on a new/as-new Sensei. Chose this one because of all the glowing reviews and because it has ailerons.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
235 Posts
Hi all, I'm brand new to this sight and have found this thread to be very informative. I found the sight after I had ordered a new RTF Sensei from Tower Hobby. I expect delivery around the 1st of August.

This will be my 3rd entry in to hobby flying and I am looking forward to it again. My experience with models started in 1970-1971 flying profile control line balsa models. After not flying for over 10 years I dove into R/C flying in 1983, building and flying 4 planes, the last a clipped wing 60" Piper Cub J-3 powered by a Redhead .40. I stopped flying in 1985. I plan to approach this as a total beginner.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
The flighing part doesn't change but everything else did. I too got into it once for a short while about 10 years ago, had a trainer with a fuel motor, MHz radio and all that. This time everything is electric which is waaaayyyy better, more simple to use, easy to start, easy to transport, no messes, no cleaning yourself and the plane after each flight, no mixture controls and the rest of it. I'll take it any day over that. But, you are a total beginner, learning about lipos, esc's brushless motors, computer radios etc., its a steep learning curve when you're a newbie that's for sure.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Welcome to this thread and site 3rd Try!

There is a wealth of information flowing in this thread with a great group of participants.

I am only in my first try although a little late in life at 73 but I am having fun. By the way, pretty sure you will like youe Sensei.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
235 Posts
Proper Batteries

The RTF Sensei that I ordered comes with only 1 battery and I would like suggestions on alternate brand names that you have been happy with. I know that not all products are made with the same quality and also that price is not always an indication of quality. The battery provided is an Eon-X Lite 3s 2100 mAh 25C. Any information based on your personal experience will be helpful.

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Welcome back and welcome to the sensei thread. We all seem to love ours. I get away with very cheap 3sx2.2 packs. This thing isn't very powerful and doesn't require an expensive pack , although using a higher quality pack will give a touch more power.

I've used many different sizes, numbers and quality of packs and my current packs are very cheap zippy 3sx3000 mah with having to cut the rear battery compartment out slightly. When I started I used a pair of 3sx2.2 packs together.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Batteries are generally similar regardless of brand, the more important thing is the c number. Try to stay with at least 25 or higher. I typically go with 35 plus.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi