HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mud Duck Bill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Bill,
F5 was only added to keep Mr Potato man on his toes, looks like another Richie cock up..one day I will be able to count HONEST!!
I changed the roll servo mounting position from the prototype as it was really tight to get it in and only a very short cut off servo horn could be used on mine! It brings the control rod further in (hopefully!!)
The pitch servo is mounted higher so as to get the rudder servo in the same bay but on the opposite side below the servo base. But you have found a nice spot to put it
Make the roll and pitch servos a nice tight fit, then just cut away some of that 1/8 balsa facing and glue in some ply for the servo screws.

Right, must get some practice on the abacus

Looking a nice clean build Billie Boy

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Bill,
Just had a quick thought, with that servo there does your Lipo fit in the front bay ok?

Rich
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:09 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Just to clarify I have the servo mounted behind F-4 and not in front of F-3 so the front battery bay is empty, till I put in the speed controller,and radio receiver and of course the Lipo.

Regards Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
G'day Bill
Did you see my PM, OK a couple of day's ago?? I have only just found this thread.
I mounted the ESC outside the fuz on the underside (nice and cool) and the RX beside the pylon in the center section.I have used a 4000 ma pack up in the bat bay.(yes it fits OK)
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Aug 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
My servo instalation
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Chris: Yes I did get your PM but with work and dealing with Irene I didn't do much on the Panther. I did mount the servos pretty much the same as you except the rudder just behind F-4 and not in the tail I thought of that but I tend to build on the heavy side so I have to try to keep things balanced. Tail heavy in a gyro I found is a no no. Thanks for the input and glade you found me. More to come in a day or so after I clean the yard ofter Irene. Not bad just some branches down.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:27 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I was going to write to Bill to see how he's holding up in the weather and I find out he already has a Panther plan! I so jealous! I even offered to do the beta test on it but I guess I don't rank.

Oh well I guess I have to finish the PCA-2 to get any respect. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield

How's the weather affecting you guys on the east coast? I hope all is well.

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:46 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Well Don I must say I was thinking of you last week when I was down stairs sitting on my stool working on the panther when the stool started rocking back and forth like it had a short leg and when I looked up and saw some wires I had hanging swaying back and forth I was out of the cellar and out of the house in a flash. That was the tremor,then it was Irene, luck would be on our side for that one a lot of rain and wind just some down branches and the sump pumps are working over time again, I feel very fortunate so many didn't have as good luck as I did. thanks for the prayers Don they worked. I will get back to work on the Panther tomorrow.

Please keep the people of the East coast in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Good to hear Bill. Out here, we just pick up our shots of Jack Daniels off the bar so they don't spill and then place bets on who can guess what the Richter scale reading will be. Of course we down the shot before we set it back on the table.

Glad you and yours are OK.

(I wouldn't have time to build the Panther right now anyway so I live vicariously through you guys.)

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Hey doesn't that make the bar stool even more wobble-yer ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Ok back to the build I jumped to the rotor head today cut out the pieces and I used some small cabinet hinges and doweled them in place then sandwiched all the pieces together and ran them through the Ronco shapeo tool, mounted the Astro gear box and just have to assemble the 2 pieces together.
The gear box is a Astro Flight P/N 710 can be purchased here

http://www.astroflight.com/

Also set in my servos in the mast section.

Got to take time out to go get a new rotary tool I burnt mine up Caution never get them too close to your tee-shirt It reaches out and grabs it and spins it into a big old knot. Couldn't seem to find the switch in all the madness. More to come Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
A question as it is right now this is as far forward as I can tilt the head because the inside of the goose neck stops it, Before I glue the pivot sides in place should I relive some material from the inside so it will tilt a bit more forward or is it made to be a stop at this position? I'll hold off on gluing this for awhile.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Bill,
Won't hurt relieving it a touch for and extra bit of forward tilt whilst you are at this stage.
PS: Nearly finished them

Don,
Let me know when your building board is clear, want to see the PCA take to the air

Rich
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:17 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Found an old landing gear and a pair of "SPATS" not sure how to mount then to this old wire gear but they sure do look good.

Time for bed see ya tomorrow Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
Bill Looks very good to me.
Chris......