HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mud Duck Bill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Build Log
USA Build log for A Rich Harris design "PANTHER"

Grumpy Bill here:
I am fortunate to be able to have in my possession a set of prints for 'The Panther" an autogyro designed built and flown by Rich Harris. I think a certain rabbit pulled them out of his hat He is in no hurry to return home Joe but he does have an appetite but he came through on this one for me so I'll keep him around a bit longer
Back to the build as you will see it is a very straight forward build with prints in hand cut out all the parts separate them in piles according to wood type and thickness then transfer them to wood and cut out. A basic box frame is used with reinforcing in all the cridical points,Nose, Landing gear, Mast location,ECT.
More to come
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Getting started:
Cut out all the print details. And if you are old school like me change all dimensions over to fractional for me it easier to find the correct thickness wood I know my lumber yard still marks them that way
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Now transfer to wood and cut again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Sand and shape like parts in of a KIT !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:17 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Starting the build:
Like I said basic box design set in formers and F2- F3-F4 - F8 and the floor inside the sides between F2 and F3 then another one inside the sides of F3-and F4 MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS SQUARE AND PARALLEL especially parallel between F3-F4 this is where the mast will slide in between. That wants a nice tight fit I would think.
Make up the bolt locks out of hard wood and then locate them into the center sandwich section of the mast. You have to do a little forward thinking and not forget this step before you glue up all 3 mast plates I almost did that

That's it for now more to come Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Sorry a little thing called work got in the way, back again and this is what I have so far. I set in my bolt locks into the 1/4 balsa, sanded flush then sandwiched the center section with the out side balsa with the grain running at a 45 degree to the center one. Installed the slide rails on F-3 & F-4 keeping them nice and tight to the mast. Notched out the edges of the mast to accept the horseshoe shaped pieces , The next step is best done with the mast installed so as to keep everything nice and tight. Intall the in-between plates. When this mast was slid in it slapped shut sssoooooooo nice. What A DESIGN. Sheet with balsa and she is done. I think.

Later Fellas Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Bill,
Didn't know this was here!..you sly fox!! looks pretty damm good to me, cowl looks fine too, never pays to throw things away. You Hoarder!!

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Last edited by SafeLandings; Aug 23, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Hi Rich :
I guess I got this build log in the wrong section but I don't know how to get it over to the autogyro section.!! Any thoughts on how to move it?. If not just pass the word around.

I'm HERE not there. Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
374 Posts
Hey Bill thats looking really good.Quality workmanship. Managed to get mine finished and flown, after 7 flights I am really enjoying this one.(pics in Rich's Panther thread).
One piece of advice....don't make the tailplane on the wrong way round, its a mistake any idiot could make, and i did it!!
Keep up the good word

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Ya know Ricardo I was just scratching my head about that very decision and weather or not to go with a skid or a tail-wheel,What did you do? I am at the point where I am going to set the tail plane down into the sides of the fuselage. Not too keen on slipping it through a slot in the side of the fuselage. So I am going to fit it in where it is going glue it in-place, then build the turtle deck over it.

Got to help mama mow the lawn I am getting one of those looks
More later BILL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:29 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
374 Posts
Hi Bill
I went for a steerable tail wheel, the ground handling is a bit skittish at the moment so I am working on a few things to tame it and will let you know how I get on. I built the tailend the same way as you, glueing the tailplane on then turtle deck over it and it seems plenty strong enough. That cowl is going to save you a lot of work!!

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Hi Bill

She looks so good, well done.

I think Rich has made holes in the mast for two servos as the small units were not powerfull enough.
I think there needs to be hard wood for the fixing screws. Not sure how he has designed this change.

How have you fitted your servos Ricardo?

Keep up the good work.

Regards Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Andy: Glad you have found me, I haven't got to the servos yet but I do have a question in the pictures on RCM-E the servos are at right angles to each other

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...p?th=52962&p=2

But the print seems to show them side buy side or parrelle which is the right way? And yes I was going to add some hard points to screw to.Did some setting in of the tailplane, and started some exoskeleton planking wow must have eaten a dictionary for breakfast. I see a lot of sanding in my future. This cat gets stronger with every glue joint ( Nice piece of Engineering Rich )

Moving on Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:39 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
725 Posts
Hi Bill

Rich said.....after having control problems..
So it had to be the servos. These were replaced with Tower Pro MG 996's, these things are almost bullet proof and have a said torque of 11kg. They were a bit of a tight fit but I managed to squeeze them in
Tonight I took it out again to try and what a difference!! control was almost instant and it flew far better, those Hitec's must have been working their hearts out!

I believe Sheet 5 is correct, showing the two holes.
The picture in RCM-E shows the small Hitec servos and they are not good enough.

Regards Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy