HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2001, 05:53 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
Bay Area flying site, check it out!!!!

OK, A group of us have found a new place to fly at a local regional park. I posted this site awhile back in the Gallery with some photos.

The site is Lagoon Valley Park between Fairfield and Vacaville. It is just off 80 and it is $3 to get in. It is 30 minutes from Sac and the east bay.

This Sunday, July 8th if you are within an hour or so it is worth the drive to check it out.

This is NOT a club site, and we have permission to fly Electric planes and you must have AMA.

There is a lake and lots of picnic area and area to walk so the family won't be board.

Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2001, 06:27 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
What types of planes are allowed to fly there, electric, gas, or both? If I fill out the form(AMA) and submit by mail by this weekend, could I fly?
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jul 02, 2001, 08:32 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bronk:
OK, A group of us have found a new place to fly at a local regional park. I posted this site awhile back in the Gallery with some photos.

The site is Lagoon Valley Park between Fairfield and Vacaville. It is just off 80 and it is $3 to get in. It is 30 minutes from Sac and the east bay.

This Sunday, July 8th if you are within an hour or so it is worth the drive to check it out.

This is NOT a club site, and we have permission to fly Electric planes and you must have AMA.

There is a lake and lots of picnic area and area to walk so the family won't be board.

Heh...and it hit 106 deg F there today .
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Jul 02, 2001, 08:47 PM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Fly there now because it will be surrounded by malls and offices soon. It is a beautiful valley that will soon look like the paved-over wastelands on either side.
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Old Jul 02, 2001, 09:10 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,633 Posts
Not without any power for the air conditioners! I'm in a hot box in the south bay right now, fading in the summer heat!

I'm getting ready to fill up with unleaded (euro-rates) for a little "cheap" air conditioning!

Anyone for a little marine layer?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2001, 03:51 AM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
If you get there in the morning, the real heat doesn't kick in till about noon, so no excuses! There are good slope sites in the park to that you can drive to!

NO, it is a green belt so don't look for building anytime soon. They tried about 10 years ago and it was shot down bigtime. It is a regional park with a CA Adobe Museum.

Per our understanding with the park, it is for Electric only. NO noise or fire hazard, plus there are horses and animals int the area and no motors are allowed in the lake either.

If you want to fly IC, there is a Woodland and a Fairfield site close by for those. They are club sites.

The agreement with the park is you muat be AMA. I believe you can get a verification via email from them if you try.
Old Jul 03, 2001, 09:12 AM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
I usually drive all the way to los altos to fly my electric airplanes, at Rancho San Antonio Park, but I think it is about the same distance where I am coming from to get to either Vacaville or Los Altos. Are there many fliers there on weekends, at Lagoon Valley park? And about what time are they usually there? I don't mine going just to check out other people's planes. Last weekend I went to Rancho San Antonio, Los Altos and many people showed up like it was a funfly. There must of been atleast 40 different planes out there every morning on weekends, last weekend there was a RC flea market on the spot, too. I just hope that we don't lose our flying sites in the future. If I was rich, I would purchased land, big enough to build about two runways, and use it for RC flying. It would have it's own hobby shop too, and fliers everywhere are invited to fly everyday. And there would be lights around the perimeter so night flying would also be possible. I'm just day dreaming. Maybe in the future it will come true.
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jul 03, 2001, 12:12 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,533 Posts
Hi:
I fly at Rancho San Antonio as well. I drive from Monterey on weekends. I like the site but is does get crowded. I am looking for a site nearer to me but nothing has electric only. I tried the IC site near me but did not like the attitudes about electrics there. Anyone have a site suggestion?
Thanks

Kurt

Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Jul 03, 2001, 06:32 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Hey guys...

Being a frequent visitor to the bay area, I might have to check this out. I just thought you might be interested in some of these pictures...they're off the hobby-lobby website taken from a Wingo R/C. They're some pretty amazing pictures and its obvious that he's not afraid to fly over water!!
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingophoto.htm

Enjoy the pics!!
-Brett :-)
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Jul 04, 2001, 01:04 AM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
There are usually between 6 and 8 pilots there and we start at 9 am to beat the heat.

Come right up 680 to 80 towards Sac. From there it is 15 minutes.
Old Jul 06, 2001, 04:16 AM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
Just a little bump to the top!
Old Jul 06, 2001, 10:18 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,142 Posts
Photos from a Wingo? Who is that guy?

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 06, 2001, 10:30 AM
Vacaville, CA USA
Joined Nov 2000
355 Posts
A local lunatic?

No offense
berniep1 is offline Find More Posts by berniep1
Old Jul 06, 2001, 12:53 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
Neil:

Are sure that photo of the Bay Bridge was actually taken with a Wingo? I thought only a SoarStar could fly that high.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Old Jul 06, 2001, 06:22 PM
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
OK Greg and Neil, this sunday we will find out!