HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,239 Posts
Man,,, sorry to hear that bauman. Can you make some out of balsa and paint them? I still have yet to maiden mine. Now I know I better take my time on the first few flights or so to get used to it's characteristics before trying any stunts. Thanks for your honesty in sharing what happened. You may have just saved mine.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:36 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,239 Posts
Forgot to ask.... How was the maiden other than the mishap?
Garry K.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Flew great, stable at both high and low speeds, very acrobatic.

Maiden went fine... it was the later flights.
I will say it was great and just what I expected, a Striker on wheels.
Admittedly I did find the VT was not a far improvement over rudders only. I wound it up into some spins, but they did not seem exponentially faster than without vector. Still lots of fun though.

Definitely will test programming and mixing skills and patience. It would take a few more flights for me to have zero'd everything down. Needs to tone down rudders a lot to prevent it from snapping out of KE flight. Overall very fun though

I would get another if I could get the same price ($119). Fuse is smashed, wings are good, verticals are okay. I would love to just replace it with an airframe, but the parts add up in the shopping cart over $150
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Nope
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:33 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Flew great, stable at both high and low speeds, very acrobatic.

Maiden went fine... it was the later flights.
I will say it was great and just what I expected, a Striker on wheels.
Admittedly I did find the VT was not a far improvement over rudders only. I wound it up into some spins, but they did not seem exponentially faster than without vector. Still lots of fun though.

Definitely will test programming and mixing skills and patience. It would take a few more flights for me to have zero'd everything down. Needs to tone down rudders a lot to prevent it from snapping out of KE flight. Overall very fun though

I would get another if I could get the same price ($119). Fuse is smashed, wings are good, verticals are okay. I would love to just replace it with an airframe, but the parts add up in the shopping cart over $150
So how did you find the landings? Did it want to pop back in the air on you?
Garry K.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Actually, I found the landing quite predictable; although I only made a handful (touch-n goes).

I did move the battery back after the first take off, and added a few extra clicks of up-trim. On the first takeoff she took off and nosed right back down...

The first landing was a bit rough, next landing was a nice stall onto the wheels from a few inches high, next were flown to the ground and settled in nice on the mains. I also fly off a rough field (0GE4), so the grass does take away a lot of the airplane's momentum.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,460 Posts
Bought 2 today for $119 each at my LHS. Will give it a whirl this weekend (thankfully i have a bunch of Habu lipos) and if I don't like it I'll sell the second one for what I paid for it.

Should I put retracts in? I fly off a paved 750 ft runway.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:13 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Anyone have a crashed scimitar with an undamaged fuse?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:31 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have a crashed scimitar with an undamaged fuse?
Wholesaletrains still has the PNP available for $165. I've been wanting one of these models. But I DON"T need one.

Wife says if it comes with a tent then I can get one, cuz I'll be sleeping outside w/ it
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Thanks Wavekatcher!

Although the answer I was looking for was right under my nose the whole time. Right here in my back yard Atlanta Hobby just got one pallet full of Scimitars and is selling them for $119 PnP... Got another ready to pick up tomorrow, Go and get 'em!

As a side note, I was on the phone with HH this morning discussing the spare fuselage part. He did let me know that it does NOT include canopy, nose, nosewheel mount, motor mount, or vectoring unit. While discussing whether or not I should scramble to buy parts, he did squeak out one more bit of info. Horizon did not comment on if there might be a new wing in development, but he did let me know that there is no HH aircraft with vectored thrust in the near future... looks like this is it for a while.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Wavekatcher!

Although the answer I was looking for was right under my nose the whole time. Right here in my back yard, Atlanta Hobby just got one pallet full of Scimitars and is selling them for $119 PnP... Got mine ready to pick up tomorrow Go and get 'em!
LOL! $100 shipping.... I paid $35 shipping to get a plane from China.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
YIKES! I go for in store pick up ... eek.

It might be worth calling them, and asking if they have any other shipping options. I have known them to go out of their way for customers, perhaps there is a more reasonable method.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Bought 2 today for $119 each at my LHS.
Quote:
Although the answer I was looking for was right under my nose the whole time. Right here in my back yard Atlanta Hobby just got one pallet full of Scimitars and is selling them for $119 PnP... Got another ready to pick up tomorrow, Go and get 'em!
Actually the answer was right above you until you discovered Atlanta Hobby as your answer. You could have just asked voxel where his LHS is and contacted them to see about shipping one to you. He's not that far from you. But now you are lucky enough to just walk into a store and get one at that great price. I'm not lucky. Shipping erodes most of the benefit of buying a second one for parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
LOL! $100 shipping.... I paid $35 shipping to get a plane from China.
It's even worse for Atlanta Hobby to ship something to me in Canada. I dunno, they must toss in some "handling" in their S&H.
Quote:
YIKES! I go for in store pick up ... eek.

It might be worth calling them, and asking if they have any other shipping options. I have known them to go out of their way for customers, perhaps there is a more reasonable method.
They did find an alternate method last year for me when I bought a Mig29 from them. However, they must be very busy this time around because I've been communicating with them about another plane lately and they have either chosen to ignore me or have forgotten to reply to my last question, which I need the answer to before buying. The plane is not that important to me and I'm not willing to hound any store so they can sell me something. They should be hounding me. They don't get my sale this time.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Picked up one from Wholesale Trains for $160 shipped. Same price as everyplace else I checked when you add shipping to the $120 price tag. But ordered this morning, and will be at my door Wednesday....
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,980 Posts
AH was already sold out. Pulled the trigger at Wholesaletrains.... Im pumped!
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401