Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:39 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
783 Posts
Garry.
Depending on speed. When on blacktop it will get enough speed to rotate by itself. On the grass I watch it. When I think it has enough speed I time pulling on stick with any ground imperfection, basically when I see all 3 wheels in the air. And I don't pull hard.
At this point plane has enough power to climb. I retract the gear and treat myself to better performance and a show.
I try to start take off from away going by me so rotation is close by, just for this reason.

And no, I don't do it with all of my planes.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:50 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,674 Posts
You need to pull back on the stick. I let it have a good long take off roll gradually increasing the power. I go full power, wait a moment, and then give probabably a 1/3 pull back on the stick and it lifts off nicely.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:00 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Would installing a longer nose strut solve all the issues everyone is having with takeoff? It would put the wing at a positive angle and I would think it would very easily take off once sufficient speeds are reached... just another thought- I have not even flown this yet, plan to maiden today.

One question I have for you all: How is everyone transporting it?? Pics if you got em

Are people actually disassembling the model for transport, or just throwing it below or on top of other planes? It just does not pack well into my sedan if I want to bring additional planes to the field.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,674 Posts
I don't feel their are issues with take off. If you install a longer nose strut you will enhance the problem the plane does have. Landing.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:20 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Going for maiden this afternoon, any tips?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,674 Posts
If you have read through this string you should be good.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

One question I have for you all: How is everyone transporting it?? Pics if you got em

Are people actually disassembling the model for transport, or just throwing it below or on top of other planes? It just does not pack well into my sedan if I want to bring additional planes to the field.
I put it vertically on passenger side. One wing on dash, one on seat. Make sure plastic pieces touch dash and aileron doesn't touch windshield or seat.
I usually have a wing from other plane right next to it so mains rest on that too.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:20 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
If you have read through this string you should be good.
Eek! I just got this this week, and have hardly scratched the surface of the 1400+ posts in this thread. Lots of great info and surely I will read it, but likely not all of it before maiden.

I am having some programming quirks I am trying to figure out:

VT centering- Are there any other reference points to center the VT unit, aside from the "11:30" reading in the manual? Seems a bit imprecise.

Using a Futaba radio, it is not allowing me to select the Aileron Differential menu because I have selected the Elevon wing type. Could anyone please direct me to a work-around?

Is Differential crucial? How well does she do without it?

Thanks Rob! Sounds like a nice spot going to load up the car in a bit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
I've done a few experiments on how long it takes to get off the ground. We have a runway that's about 250 feet long. It's currently covered with hard packed snow/ice. This is with my Scimitar that has been trimmed for level flight at 3/4 throttle. If I start at one end of the runway and give it full power and when it looks like it's going fast enough, I give it up elevator and it lifts off around 100 feet. Same scenario but I go to almost the end of the runway not touching the right stick. It won't lift off until I give it up elevator.
I've also taken off from grass and once, I didn't get up to what I thought was lift off speed, but it hit a large bump. This launched it and it stayed in the air.
Judging from the hand launch video, the Scimitar doesn't need a lot of airspeed to fly. It just needs propulsion and a good angle of attack.
The next experiment I'd like to do (or maybe someone should do) is to do a rolling take off at full throttle but with heavy up elevator right from the start. Modulate the elevator as soon as it lifts off and see what kind of speed/distance it takes to lift off from the ground. Of course, head wind need to be taken into account.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Mine is not disassembled for transport. It's either in the back of a hatchback or tied down in a covered trailer.
Length of front strut is limited by the space when it's retracted. If you don't use retracts, then you can play with it. Personally, I wouldn't change the length of it.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Eek! I just got this this week, and have hardly scratched the surface of the 1400+ posts in this thread. Lots of great info and surely I will read it, but likely not all of it before maiden.

I am having some programming quirks I am trying to figure out:

VT centering- Are there any other reference points to center the VT unit, aside from the "11:30" reading in the manual? Seems a bit imprecise.

Using a Futaba radio, it is not allowing me to select the Aileron Differential menu because I have selected the Elevon wing type. Could anyone please direct me to a work-around?

Is Differential crucial? How well does she do without it?

Thanks Rob! Sounds like a nice spot going to load up the car in a bit
This might help. I wouldn't fly it without the mix to compensate for rudder input unless you want to just bank and yank.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=4
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:31 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Thanks Guys!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,187 Posts
I have a JR 9303. Any program settings for this radio? It's been raining for the last few days. (In Arizona we call it liquid sunshine.) Not letting up for some time either. Plus the Electric Festival keeps me of my field this weekend anyways. Maybe Friday or Sat. I will get to maiden.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Had a mishap

Too slow, too low (6-8 feet), inverted, did not anticipate p-factor when I hammered throttle... made bad decisions.

She will fly again, but needs some TLC. The elevons took a good smashing, and I re-read through the manual, watched the videos, then went to HH.com, then called them on the phone only to hang up somewhat disappointed.

It would seem that the note in the manual regarding maintenance was all hodgepodge. Sure you can remove the control surface with just a screwdriver, BUT they dont sell just the replacement control surface if you destroy one... so if I have to buy a whole new wing just to get a control surface, what is the point of being able to remove the control surface with just a screw?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,182 Posts
Did anyone ever sell a airframe only version of this plane? Maybe that might be a better option for me to get some parts...
RCG Plus Member