Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:14 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
+1 for bobs, great service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
Ok, just left my local hobby shop. They have at least 3 in stock and although they don't have an online store, they do have a website here. You can call and place a phone order and they are happy to ship, I just confirmed with them to make sure.

I know they are heavily discounted but I am not sure what the price is, I forgot to confirm before I left. They also have the hawker hurricanes in stock $109 for the pnp and $129 for the bnf.

You can mention you saw a posting on rcgroups, they are aware.

The info is:

Bob's Hobby Center
(407) 277-1248
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,575 Posts
Saw a bunch at GravesRC today for $219 for the PNP. Luke warm deal. It's a nice plane but add retracts and the fact that it is being discountinued (v2?) makes me want to wait and see. I may buy it if I see it again. LOL.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:40 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Saw a bunch at GravesRC today for $219 for the PNP. Luke warm deal. It's a nice plane but add retracts and the fact that it is being discountinued (v2?) makes me want to wait and see. I may buy it if I see it again. LOL.
That's been the "regular" price for some time now.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Gary, can you explain what you mean by 75% symmetrical wing and why that's a fault? I'm new to rc and don't really know much about aircraft engineering either.
A symmetrical wing has the same amount of curve on the top as the bottom. When you look at it from the side, it's the same top and bottom. Most wings are flat on the bottom and the airfoil is only present on the top of the wing which is called asymmetrical. This plane is somewhere between the two. I've notice when flying a full symmetrical wing there is a transition stage when slowing down near landing speed to where the nose goes up yet it maintains altitude with a little power applied to maintain that speed. Very much like a high alpha maneuver but only slight nose up. I don't know if I'm explaining this so that it comes across accurately.
Main point being that it MAY need the nose up when taxiing to get it to rotate smoothly. The bottom airfoil may be causing a vacuum under the wing opposing the vacuum on the top of the wing that is used to create lift. If you have to use too much speed and full up elevator to get it to rotate, when it finally does, it snaps up. This could cause a lot of props to hit during rotation from what I've read about on this plane. If this is the case, the only thing I can think of at this moment is to move the rear landing gear back slightly. I will first try a smaller nose wheel and see how it responds to the change. There will be some trial and error, but I can't help but to try.
Hope this helps.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
That's been the "regular" price for some time now.
I was at the Electric Festival here in east Mesa, AZ that's going on at my field this weekend, and there was one in the box brand new with a sticker of $399.99 on it. I didn't ask him what he wanted for it, but that price sticker will scare just about everyone away.
Garry K.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:39 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
I wonder if dialing in some spoilerons will allow the the tail to stick a little more on take off and free up the nose for a more gradual lift? Setup the spoilerons to work with the retracts/gear channel may also help on landings and dump some of the lift. Not sure how this plane lands though. Just a thought....... :beer:

The problem with symmetrical is they really don't provide a lot of at zero AoA (ground) so the airplane is "sticking" to the ground essentially until you get a positive AoA when the symmetrical wing will start to provide lift. Shouldn't take much positive AoA (I wouldn't assume) although I'm not the best at this stuff.. I am a mechanic with a a&p, but I work commercial.

I don't own this plane, hoping to score one. Just trying to add some fuel for thought I guess..
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I was at the Electric Festival here in east Mesa, AZ that's going on at my field this weekend, and there was one in the box brand new with a sticker of $399.99 on it. I didn't ask him what he wanted for it, but that price sticker will scare just about everyone away.
Garry K.
Yeah, I think that was the BNF version, but yes, that's absurd. I think I paid under $300.00 for my BNF locally a year ago. The PNP has been about $250.00 for a long time but the past season, it's been about $220.00. I think some shops have just lost touch with reality.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:51 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
I wonder if dialing in some spoilerons will allow the the tail to stick a little more on take off and free up the nose for a more gradual lift? Setup the spoilerons to work with the retracts/gear channel may also help on landings and dump some of the lift. Not sure how this plane lands though. Just a thought....... :beer:

The problem with symmetrical is they really don't provide a lot of at zero AoA (ground) so the airplane is "sticking" to the ground essentially until you get a positive AoA when the symmetrical wing will start to provide lift. Shouldn't take much positive AoA (I wouldn't assume) although I'm not the best at this stuff.. I am a mechanic with a a&p, but I work commercial.

I don't own this plane, hoping to score one. Just trying to add some fuel for thought I guess..
This is still just a flying wing. Programming in spoilerons is no different than the manual use of elevator. Not sure I understand what you mean by "free up the nose". The nose doesn't contribute anything to lift unless you plan to install canards like on the Eurofighter.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:01 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
This is still just a flying wing. Programming in spoilerons is no different than the manual use of elevator. Not sure I understand what you mean by "free up the nose". The nose doesn't contribute anything to lift unless you plan to install canards like on the Eurofighter.
Freeing up the nose (allowing it to come of the ground easier) is to obtain a positive AoA that's when a symmetrical wing starts to provide lift. Has nothing to do with the actual nose providing any lift. My point with the spoilerons is continually but subtly provide constant elevator. Something that's harder to do manually by feeding in elevator on your on you can get the sudden "jerk" lift off and prop strike... the aggressive lift off im thinking is related to the zero AoA (roll out down the runway) regardless of the speed the wing still isn't providing lift because it's symmetrical and at zero AoA it's not going to, the jerk is result of the AoA changing to quickly and at to great a rate resulting in a step/aggressive lift...

like I said just food for thought :beer:
Last edited by Diesel6401; Jan 26, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post

I've been flying it for almost a year. Like any other plane it needs ground speed before rotating.
I usually let it go by itself. Once it has enough speed, any bump will do. Never had it stall on take off. Never chipped the prop.
I had situations when I couldn't get enough speed because grass was to tall or runway way too short. Then I find a spot with shorter grass and try again.
Be careful spoilers on this wing cause lift.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:07 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I've been flying it for almost a year. Like any other plane it needs ground speed before rotating.
I usually let it go by itself. Once it has enough speed, any bump will do. Never had it stall on take off. Never chipped the prop.
I had situations when I couldn't get enough speed because grass was to tall or runway way too short. Then I find a spot with shorter grass and try again.
Be careful spoilers on this wing cause lift.

Rob
The bump changed the AoA
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:20 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Not trying to change the dynamic of the thread or add crazy talk.... just conversation with fellow addicts.... :beer:
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:37 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
At one point I was thinking of making it faster. I tried more cells (5 and 6) and bigger speed controller. I broke 100 mph, but it just didn't do much for me. I am back with 4s.
Only thing which makes it stand out from others is 2 coats of minwax.
I call it my "red flying pig" and it goes with me every other week for couple of flights.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,293 Posts
After this plane is trimmed out with recommended CG, does it lift off the ground on it's own eventually? Or do you need to pull back on the stick?
Garry K.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:33 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
After this plane is trimmed out with recommended CG, does it lift off the ground on it's own eventually? Or do you need to pull back on the stick?
Garry K.
Good question.

When the guy mentioned any bump will send it off. To me that means its truly acting like a symmetrical wing and needs something to change the AoA. Whether elevator input or a bump in the road, something needs to change the AoA to allow the wing to create lift .....
JMHO