HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,060 Posts
I don't own a Scimitar, but would like to, so I've been lurking. (Missed that sale or I would have scooped one up, whether my wife likes it or not!)

Anyways, regarding the bouncing landings, I have a few EDF's that suffered from that problem. It was a roll of the dice if I'd get them stopped on the paved runway on it's wheels or back! But I recently put some smaller tires on a couple of them as the stocks were huge, and I couldn't find a drill bit just right, so they wound up having some rolling friction. They still taxi fine, but they stick when they land! Just a thought.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Ok...so belly landing is possible. That makes me feel a LOT better. Thank you!! Gives us options.
biuppa is offline Find More Posts by biuppa
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:43 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,404 Posts
I bought a used T-34 Mentor, and the previous owner did a cool brake system. On each back wheel it has a collet on each side of the wheel with a small piece of fuel tubing sandwiched in between the wheel and hub. You can adjust the tension with how tight the hub is to the fuel tubing. It still taxi's just great, but stops very quickly. The comments from behind me are cool to hear also.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biuppa View Post
Ok...so belly landing is possible. That makes me feel a LOT better. Thank you!! Gives us options.
Tape the parts that make contact with the ground, land only on grass, don't come in sideways, only straight approach.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Hand-launch and belly-landing are the only ways that I fly this beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8z79jRuHCkk
My mind is blown. Is that all stock? I didn't think this thing would ever hand launch, it's so heavy.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:00 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,266 Posts
Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by biuppa View Post
All, I've got this plane, but have not flown it yet. Seen lots of youtube videos and will see more, but for anybody successfully flying this plane, what are your landing thoughts when you bring this down. Looking for some input. What's been successful for you?
I have over a 100 flights on mine. Our flying field we can land on grass or smooth petromat. I have no trouble landing this airframe on the grass. I usually make throttle landings. Try setting up a low aproach on final and simply use thottle to set it down. Also I do a lot of high alpha landings this way. Only complaint I have is the space it takes up in transport. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,505 Posts
Looks like it's on the way out....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-pnp-EFL10175
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
I just ordered one from hobby zone for $119. Why is it so crazy cheap? Would the landings
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
My phone is acting up. Would landings be easier with gear that's has spring loaded shocks?
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
I just ordered one from hobby zone for $119. Why is it so crazy cheap? Would the landings
I think it's because this plane has not been a good seller and it's most likely coming to an end. Hobbyzone would be the second shop in recent days that have blown their remaining stock out the door. I doubt they will be re-stocking. I even doubt Horizon Hobby will have stock anytime soon.
Quote:
My phone is acting up. Would landings be easier with gear that's has spring loaded shocks?
The gear is already "sprung", just not in the way you're probably talking about. Those little coily springs do provide some shock absorbing qualities. I doubt "proper" shock absorbers would make a significant difference. In fact, having no give in the gear may be better for eliminating the landing bounce.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Link? I'll take 3!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Link? I'll take 3!
They're out of stock already .................
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFL10175.html

They probably only had 1 or 2 left.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Damn

I want in on one of these deals. Body panels alone would cost $120 to replace in a crash. I could buy the PNP for $120, sell the motor for $50, the ESC for $50, and have all needed crash parts plus replacement servos for $20. That's awesome!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
i highly doubt the plane is coming to an end
bladeguy5 is online now Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,004 Posts
Keep searching. I'll bet other sellers will be wanting to compete just to get rid of their remaining stock. I'd do the same as you but I'm never fast enough to catch them while they still had one left.