HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:13 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
How about moving the rear landing gear back a bit. I'm not going to have the retracts at first, so if the nose feels too light, I will bend them back a bit and lengthen if needed. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll set it up the best I know how and reports back.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
How about moving the rear landing gear back a bit. I'm not going to have the retracts at first, so if the nose feels too light, I will bend them back a bit and lengthen if needed. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll set it up the best I know how and reports back.
Garry K.
Truth be known that is the real trouble with this bird. The mains are too far forward. Bending them back a bit does help, but you dont have much leeway. It also kills the retract option. For the newbee's my advice would be to fly off the stock gear until you get used to the way this bird behaves.

I have thought of using the rudder brake option. I drifted away from it after I started having some success with landing. Now I have had a string of crappy landings so I think I will try it. My thoughts were to put it on a switch with an offset mix to the throttle stick.

Landing on grass is easy. I usually use it as an alternate when I have given up or the battery seems too low. The grass seems to act like an arrestor cable.

For the expert newbees. You may think you have all of the answers, but trust me, there is a good reason this plane has the reputation it does. Good luck....
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:20 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biuppa View Post
Again haven't flown it yet, but the retracts work smoothly and they seem beefy and strong. No other recommendations yet, but I'll be watching this forum.
When you have a hard landing, the struts will bend back. Unless you bend them to their original position, the next time the gear is retracted, the tires will scrub on the wheel well. If you're not going with the Eflite retracts, get ones that are metal so they'll take a good whack upon landing. You can cut the stock struts to length if needed. The front steering mechanism may need a little adaptation. I use the Eflite retracts so can't give you any specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Garry K.
If you bend them back too far, you'll lose all ground clearance with the central fin. Rotation may be an issue. You'd have to get up to a good speed and fly the thing off the ground by wing lift alone. The bouncy landings is a function of experience. The more you land it the less bouncy it gets. Another option is to belly land it on grass. Just line the underside of the nose and rudders with fiber tape.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Truth be known that is the real trouble with this bird. The mains are too far forward.
I agree. Most planes will sit on their gear even without a battery in. The Scimitar sits on it's tail doing a wheelie without a battery in. Even when the battery is installed and the CG correct, the mains sit foward of the CG, which means any little bump or imperfection in the landing surface, or any poor execution on the pilot's part, makes the plane rock back which jumps it up into the air again.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Another option is to belly land it on grass. Just line the underside of the nose and rudders with fiber tape.
With as much stuff as it has hanging off the underside and how nose-down it would sit without gear, I can't see it lasting through more than a few of those.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
With as much stuff as it has hanging off the underside and how nose-down it would sit without gear, I can't see it lasting through more than a few of those.
You'll be surprised.
For a quite a while I belly landed that thing. Close to 50 flights. I used clear shipping tape. In tall grass its the best way.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:55 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
I should have mentioned that this is only done off grass, NOT pavement. I did not post this without having done it myself. If you can't see it, that's OK. Don't do it. I'm only relaying my own experience in this. Even when I came in too hot, the thing would just flop onto the rudder skids, drop its nose to the grass and come to a sliding stop in about 30 to 40 feet. Like I said, the bottom surfaces of mine are lined with fiber tape. When done just right, it touches down just before stalling and comes to a stop in very short distance. I've even taken off from the belly. It wasn't pretty but is did get off the grass. I do this mostly in the summer to save the prop from getting too much damage from our gravel runway. Rocks getting thrown up by the landing gear chips the prop to pieces. In winter, the runway is hard packed ice/snow and taking off and landing with gear down is not a problem.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
You'll be surprised.
For a quite a while I belly landed that thing. Close to 50 flights. I used clear shipping tape. In tall grass its the best way.

Rob
EXACTLY!
Unfortunately, some folks formulate an opinion based on zero experience and incorrect assumptions. It's almost as if we dream this stuff up and lie about it just for fun. I first started belly landing my Scimitar when someone earlier on in this thread declared that "you CANNOT do this with a Scimitar". So, I immediately started doing it just to see. I love a challenge.
It's just like some guy saying you "CANNOT add airbrakes to a flying wing" in the X8 thread. I went and installed a set of airbrakes, took the plane out, flew it with airbrakes deployed, did some loops, rolls and landings AND got it on video. Did I say I love a challenge?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
EXACTLY!
Unfortunately, some folks formulate an opinion based on zero experience and incorrect assumptions. It's almost as if we dream this stuff up and lie about it just for fun. I first started belly landing my Scimitar when someone earlier on in this thread declared that "you CANNOT do this with a Scimitar". So, I immediately started doing it just to see. I love a challenge.
It's just like some guy saying you "CANNOT add airbrakes to a flying wing" in the X8 thread. I went and installed a set of airbrakes, took the plane out, flew it with airbrakes deployed, did some loops, rolls and landings AND got it on video. Did I say I love a challenge?
wheres this vid? i wanna see
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:21 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Quote:
When you have a hard landing, the struts will bend back. Unless you bend them to their original position, the next time the gear is retracted, the tires will scrub on the wheel well. If you're not going with the Eflite retracts, get ones that are metal so they'll take a good whack upon landing. You can cut the stock struts to length if needed. The front steering mechanism may need a little adaptation. I use the Eflite retracts so can't give you any specifics.

If you bend them back too far, you'll lose all ground clearance with the central fin. Rotation may be an issue. You'd have to get up to a good speed and fly the thing off the ground by wing lift alone. The bouncy landings is a function of experience. The more you land it the less bouncy it gets. Another option is to belly land it on grass. Just line the underside of the nose and rudders with fiber tape.
If you re-read my post, I said I would lengthen them if needed. I'm sure the retracts can be relocated one way or another. You just need to be willing to put in some time. Anyways, a pictures worth a thousand words, so I'll wait till I've got it how I want it and report back what I've done and the results with a vid. Mine hasn't arrived yet, so all I have to go on so far is the videos and comments I've seen and read. However I'll take a close look at motor angle, gear position and length. wing angle of attack (incidence etc when I get it put together.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
wheres this vid? i wanna see
I don't have any vids of the Scimitar doing belly landings. If you're talking about my flying wing with airbrakes, it's kinda off topic but .............................
3 X8 flights with airbrakes (5 min 43 sec)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,285 Posts
Nice xviper. Thanks for that post. It gives me all sorts of ideas!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Hand-launch and belly-landing are the only ways that I fly this beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8z79jRuHCkk
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Hand-launch and belly-landing are the only ways that I fly this beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8z79jRuHCkk
I still find that video to be inspirational. Thanks for sharing it. I still haven't found the guts to try it myself.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Nice xviper. Thanks for that post. It gives me all sorts of ideas!
Funny, right after I made that post, I went to fly my X8. And it never stops to amaze me just how well those airbrakes work. I have another set laying around that I'd like to install on the Scimitar but I'm not sure if the wing is thick enough to accommodate them without jeopardizing the structural integrity.