HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:42 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeguy5 View Post
crashguru i agree with you 100% lol ive only got 25 flights on my schimi but over 60 on my F-27Q the schimi is a nice flyer it just takes so much to get that thing on the ground.. ive got a habu that should be here on thursday i wonder how that thing will compare.
The Habu will do the dance, but you gotta lot more room before it acts up. I would think the new one with flaps installed would be a breeze to land.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashguru View Post
My landing thoughts when I bring the Scimitar down:

1) Oh CRAP! It's coming in too fast...
2) WAIT! No...it's coming in too slow - hit the throttle...
3) NOW IT'S TOO FAST!! Bleed off some speed...
4) SHOULD I GO AROUND for the 4th time??? - this is getting embarrasing...
5) %#%@ PUT DOWN THE LANDING GEAR, STUPID!!!
6) WAIT! It looks like it is going to settle this time...
7) Bleed off more speed...more up elevator...
8) WHEW! It's down in one piece!!!
9) I need to change my shorts...

Seriously, I give myself a good long approach every time. It needs to be flown to the ground -do not just let it land! It will fly slower than you think it will, so don't be afraid to bleed off speed on landing otherwise you will get the ill-fated BOUNCE, Bounce, bounce, bounce landing. Go a few mistakes high and see how slow it will fly before stalling to get a good take on it when you land. MAKE SURE your CG is at the recommended point. Have fun!
LOL...I really appreciate it!
biuppa is offline Find More Posts by biuppa
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:20 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Anybody get the feeling that this plane never sold that well? I got an email from Grayson this morning for a discount code of $100.00 off the PNP Scimitar - final cost of $120.00. By the time I clicked on the link, they were sold out. I have a feeling that they won't be re-stocking. Maybe Eflite bombed on this one. Get spare parts while you can.
I got the email at 6:15 that morning and read it at 8 AM. Bought it right then. Is there an aftermarket set of retracts for this thing? I've read the thread for 2 days now and am only up to page 60.
Oh,, and for the bouncing??? My T-28 was doing that badly. Turns out the nose gear was too long. A plane should stay on the ground until you pull back to rotate.Try a smaller nose wheel and see what happens.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:34 AM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2002
466 Posts
Best way I've seen to "avoid" the bounce is to bleed off as much airspeed as you can before the mains touch... once they touch... get totally off the flare or it's gonna pop back up. ( and I HAVE landed it forgetting to put the gear down LOL ) those slats at the bottom make it hard to tell sometimes if they are down or not LOL
plasticjoe is offline Find More Posts by plasticjoe
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I got the email at 6:15 that morning and read it at 8 AM. Bought it right then. Is there an aftermarket set of retracts for this thing? I've read the thread for 2 days now and am only up to page 60.
Oh,, and for the bouncing??? My T-28 was doing that badly. Turns out the nose gear was too long. A plane should stay on the ground until you pull back to rotate.Try a smaller nose wheel and see what happens.
Garry K.
Shorter nose gear doesn't seem to help. Slow as possible and relax the flair once mains touch as mentioned above.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:16 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
I don't like to disagree, but if you go short enough on nose gear, it has to help. It's finding that sweet spot that's the challenge. However, if you go too short, then rotation is quick and may put the prop in jeopardy.
Garry K.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I don't like to disagree, but if you go short enough on nose gear, it has to help. It's finding that sweet spot that's the challenge. However, if you go too short, then rotation is quick and may put the prop in jeopardy.
Garry K.
Well than you will just have to experience it for yourself.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashguru View Post
My landing thoughts when I bring the Scimitar down:

1) Oh CRAP! It's coming in too fast...
2) WAIT! No...it's coming in too slow - hit the throttle...
3) NOW IT'S TOO FAST!! Bleed off some speed...
4) SHOULD I GO AROUND for the 4th time??? - this is getting embarrasing...
5) %#%@ PUT DOWN THE LANDING GEAR, STUPID!!!
6) WAIT! It looks like it is going to settle this time...
7) Bleed off more speed...more up elevator...
8) WHEW! It's down in one piece!!!
9) I need to change my shorts...
This is very accurate. I've only put in the air once due to it being the middle of winter, but this is exactly how my land attempts went. I finally put it down on the 7th pass, and it did the bounce + cart wheel anyway. This plane embraces forward motion. I added speed brakes, so we'll see how the next landing goes.

I wish I hadn't missed that $120 deal, that's awesome. That would be perfect for crash parts.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:56 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Don't forget the 30 bucks for shipping though.
Garry K.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:59 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Well than you will just have to experience it for yourself.
I'm sure you're right. I have been known as a very intuitive pilot though that has pulled off some very interesting saves from weird circumstances. I feel very fortunate to be one of those "naturals". I started out with heli's, so planes are much easier by comparison. But more so than that, It's just that every pilot is different as every plane is. When you combine the two differences, you get an unlimited amount of different experiences. I'm hoping that my combo ends up a good one.
Garry K.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:00 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,340 Posts
Now back to the retracts. Does anyone know if PW-RC or anyone else has a replacement set?
Garry K.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Great discussions on the landing thoughts. I received my CZ Scimitar just before Christmas with 3 feet of snow on the ground so haven't done anything with it other than blow over our Christmas tree from 20 feet away. My buddy did get in on that Grayson deal for $100 off. Once the snow melts I'm sure we'll be figuring this one out.

I've got the eflite retracts for this plane. Again haven't flown it yet, but the retracts work smoothly and they seem beefy and strong. No other recommendations yet, but I'll be watching this forum.

There's a number of youtube videos out there for this plane covering the gambit of landings. One is just like described above where that guy made MANY MANY passes before finally satisfied with the approach angle, altitude and speed. He still bounced. Then there's the one which finally made me pull the trigger. This plane (at least in that video) settled in beautifully. My credit card took the hit that night.

Thanks for sharing your landing experiences all.
biuppa is offline Find More Posts by biuppa
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:06 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
I was at the point where I wasted flying time to get the approach just right. Until I split rudders on separate channels. Now I judge the speed and add little brake or more brake or none just before touch down.
Actually my rudder is on 3 channels, 2 for rudders and one for nose gear.
Works great.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
How do you have your brakes programmed? Mine is all or nothing, but it's a slow deploy speed. Do you have a half brake position? I have mine set to the TH switch so I couldn't do a middle position, but I like having it on an easy to actuate switch.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:56 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
How do you have your brakes programmed? Mine is all or nothing, but it's a slow deploy speed. Do you have a half brake position? I have mine set to the TH switch so I couldn't do a middle position, but I like having it on an easy to actuate switch.
My brakes are rudders turning inward. I use flap switch. Up is normal, mid- half brake, down- full brake. (radio DX8)
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro