HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
No love for the Scimitar...

I took the plunge on the Scimitar and did it up with retracts. Flew it about 5 times and ran into a issue that put the thing on the shelf. I haven't had the need to order a new prop and collet. I am already bored with the thing. I fly 3D and see I'm not the only one thinking about pulling all the electronics out of it for a 3D plane. I wonder why so many of these end up for sale?
After about a dozen flights, it's become kind of "Ho Hum". It looks great in the air till you scuff it up a bit and that happens pretty quick. The paint job is about as cheap as you can get. Just touching it when you pick it up causes the paint to come off. Some common parts that need replacement are non-existent and when you make inquiries about parts availability, the customer service from Horizon is non-existent. Eflite retracts are expensive for this thing and the steering needs modification to just work right. Taking off from anything that isn't perfectly smooth and clean will just chew up props and props aren't that cheap either. It hasn't turned out to be the end all, be all as Horizon had hoped.
I can understand why so many have turned their backs on this plane, either shelving it or selling it. You can tell from this thread almost dying that something is going by the wayside. For me, it was not a cheap plane and I'll continue to fly it now and then just to get my money's worth or until it takes a dirt nap. I look at Horizon's marketing, promos, ads and propaganda with great discrimination now. This Scimitar was not the only product that I got sucked into and then found disappointment in. Another guy at my flying field has one. He flew it once and I've never seen it again.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
After about a dozen flights, it's become kind of "Ho Hum". It looks great in the air till you scuff it up a bit and that happens pretty quick. The paint job is about as cheap as you can get. Just touching it when you pick it up causes the paint to come off. Some common parts that need replacement are non-existent and when you make inquiries about parts availability, the customer service from Horizon is non-existent. Eflite retracts are expensive for this thing and the steering needs modification to just work right. Taking off from anything that isn't perfectly smooth and clean will just chew up props and props aren't that cheap either. It hasn't turned out to be the end all, be all as Horizon had hoped.
I can understand why so many have turned their backs on this plane, either shelving it or selling it. You can tell from this thread almost dying that something is going by the wayside. For me, it was not a cheap plane and I'll continue to fly it now and then just to get my money's worth or until it takes a dirt nap. I look at Horizon's marketing, promos, ads and propaganda with great discrimination now. This Scimitar was not the only product that I got sucked into and then found disappointment in. Another guy at my flying field has one. He flew it once and I've never seen it again.
Some of the dead-enders might take issue with your post, but I think you have summed up my experience quite accurately. The one thing that I would add is that this plane is an absolute pain to transport and store. The only acceptable position is on its wheels. Many of my planes can rest on their collets, and be leaned against a wall (if need be)...but not this beast. And, it takes up significant space. I actually like flying it, but I am always anxious about the inevitably clumsy landing that follows the flight. I will be happy to get this thing out of my hangar.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,885 Posts
Things that could have made the Scimitar a hit:

1) An EDF to replace the pusher prop. Exhaust vanes in pitch and yaw to replace the yaw-only motor movement. Yes I know EDF is not as efficient, but this would fix many issues: slow speed, fin damage from prop, taxi difficulty, prop strike, and stress on vector servo. And the coolness factor goes way up.
2) Remove the control coupling and sharp pitch stall. I think this is due to the sharp chine. I think it should be rounded.

I think these fixes would warrant a Scimitar 2. It would be worth a try.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Some of the dead-enders might take issue with your post, but I think you have summed up my experience quite accurately. The one thing that I would add is that this plane is an absolute pain to transport and store. The only acceptable position is on its wheels. Many of my planes can rest on their collets, and be leaned against a wall (if need be)...but not this beast. And, it takes up significant space. I actually like flying it, but I am always anxious about the inevitably clumsy landing that follows the flight. I will be happy to get this thing out of my hangar.
I forgot about storage and transport issues but you hit the nail right on the head. I store mind upside down resting on some carefully placed old pillows.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
Tried her out with air brakes today. Huge difference! Landing was so easy, she slowed down smooth with a super easy touch down. I highly recommend trying this if you can get them programmed.
RustySpork is offline Find More Posts by RustySpork
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
Tried her out with air brakes today. Huge difference! Landing was so easy, she slowed down smooth with a super easy touch down. I highly recommend trying this if you can get them programmed.
Are you using DX8 by chance? Care to share some programming information?

I've been avoiding taking off from our packed gravel runway due to chipped up props, so I've been taking off from the grass. So far it's been quite successful till this week. A few good lumps and bumps in the turf chewed off the tips of the blades. I'm going back to my 1" shorter diameter tri-blade. This thing is becoming less and less fun. I'm sure things would be different if I had a paved runway.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
Ja, I'm using a dx8. I just left town for the week, but as soon as I get back to it I'll post my settings.

For what it's worth, you need at least one extra channel on your rx. Possibly two. Reason being, you have to split the rudders to their own channels. You'll need two (I think) to isolate the steering also. I'm not really any kind of genius when it comes to programming these, what I mean is that when I flip the switch for brakes the steering wheel goes full left. I have to put the brakes off just before touchdown. I think I'd need an 8 channel rx so steering could have its own, and be mixed with ONLY rudder. Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense.
Last edited by RustySpork; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
Ja, I'm using a dx8. I just left town for the week, but as soon as I get back to it I'll post my settings.

For what it's worth, you need at least one extra channel on your rx. Possibly two. Reason being, you have to split the rudders to their own channels. You'll need two (I think) to isolate the steering also. I'm not really any kind of genius when it comes to programming these, what I mean is that when I flip the switch for brakes the steering wheel goes full left. I have to put the brakes off just before touchdown. I think I'd need an 8 channel rx so steering could have its own, and be mixed with ONLY rudder. Sorry if that doesn't quite make sense.
It makes sense. I don't think I want to dedicate an 8-ch RX just to do this. I thought you were able to do this with the stock RX.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
Agreed. I'm using a 7ch rx from when I had a dx7. I like to line her up for landing approach, put the brakes on, then disengage a few seconds before touchdown.

I think I bought a pnp, is the stock rx 6 or 7 ch?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
It has a stock AR600 RX. I just don't want to spend another $130.00+ for the AR8000.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
I'm trying to think if brakes could be done with six. You wouldn't be able to isolate the steering for sure, but I'm pretty sure you could y cable the one rudder, steering and thrust vectoring together into the rudder channel. So thats throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder, and retracts (aux1) used. You should have one channel open to hook the second rudder to. So you can do air brakes but you will need to remember to flip them back off just before touchdown. Ill post settings as soon as i can.

Dang... now I'm not sure. If the thrust vectoring is hooked to rudder, I'm not sure if it would move all the way one direction when you flip the brakes switch. Sucks not having one handy to look at.
Last edited by RustySpork; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Iiiiiim dumb.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
Might be easier to add normal airbrakes like from a sailplane. They say that these types of airbrakes don't work on wings but it's been done on the X8 wing.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
I'm not familiar with those. How's it work?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,264 Posts
I have a pair of these that I was going to put on my X8 but didn't because someone said they shouldn't be used on wings. Then when someone else did it, I got used to landing the X8 without them.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8576
One is embedded in each wing and are deployed with a servo each that can be "Y'd" together, so you need only one more channel and a servo reverser to make them work. They also make them in metal.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
147 Posts
That's pretty clever.