HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
I recently picked one of these like new bnf with retracts for 250.00, anyways iv flown just about everything and with all the negetive hype I was concernd, I set up with recomended throws and expo
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
I have found that the clear part of my canopy (windshield, if you will) has somehow expanded, warped and come apart from the rest of the assembly. Trying to stick it back down, it's not the same size as the base anymore. Weird.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Same thing happened to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I have found that the clear part of my canopy (windshield, if you will) has somehow expanded, warped and come apart from the rest of the assembly. Trying to stick it back down, it's not the same size as the base anymore. Weird.
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
It is amazing, 5 months have past and still no sight of the backorderd fusalage.
valkguy is offline Find More Posts by valkguy
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Might be a sign that they are getting ready the phase it out

Pure speculation on my part

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
It's only been on the market for a year and people haven't exactly been storming the hobby shops to get one. I'm more inclined to think that this plane has not been the sales gem that Horizon had hoped from.
I like mine and I still enjoy flying it but I don't "love" it nor is it my favorite plane. It's got defects and really, it's not that different than a large Funjet or a Stryker. It chews up props on anything except a paved, clean runway. I broke the beak off mine and it's still just glued back on. There has never been any stock of the nose piece. It wasn't a cheap plane by comparison to many of my other planes, which I enjoy flying more. I have not purchased anything from the Horizon Hobby hanger since.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
543 Posts
I had one really nice flight yesterday. Had this thing full throttle just off the deck, some low full throttle knife edge passes, and a few of those crazy flat spins in does.

I bring her back check the landing gear and switch batteries. I start rolling down the runway I start my rotation and it starts to roll so I put her back down turn around and try again. I think okay maybe I just rotated to soon I have down that before.

I give it a 2nd try get a few feet of the ground plane rolls like crazy and I end up putting her into a nose high attitude plane still going nuts. I managed to get the plane to stop the roll with some strong rudder inputs but also drove the nose into the ground.

As I am walking towards the plane I noticed the nose is destroyed and so is the canopy but the rest of it looks fine. I started checking the rudder to see if maybe I had VT switched on. It was off and I was still in low rates on the rudder channel. Then I noticed what had been the cause of the crash. The right elevon hinges had failed they had pulled out of the wing.

With that first take off attempt when the servo pushed on the control surface it had pushed it out a little. On the 2nd attempt it had pushed it out all the way and since its a delta wing one elevator half was like telling the plane to roll left.

Not an expensive fix but I doubt this plane is going to be flying any time soon.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
543 Posts
If you go back to post #783 you can see someone else had the same thing happen. It would seem that even if you check your hinges and they seem tight go ahead and beef them up anyway. It took about 30+ flights worth but it did fail.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Today, I reached the breaking point. I was so sick of pretending that this beast could actually land on a runway (like a civilized aircraft), that I just took the wheels off and hand-launched it. I was surprised at how easily it took to the air (at half throttle). Landings were a bit rough, but not as bad as the dragging and scraping that it suffered with each clumsy runway landing. it even flew much better without the wheels.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
148 Posts
Yep, it can be tricky. I just programmed air brakes on mine, have to wait for better weather to see what difference that makes
RustySpork is offline Find More Posts by RustySpork
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:34 AM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkguy View Post
It is amazing, 5 months have past and still no sight of the backorderd fusalage.
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/E-fl...efl1018005.htm
micromantis is online now Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromantis View Post
I'm a bit suspect. Have you actually contacted them to see if they have stock? Some shops will allow you to put something in the "cart" and when you check out and pay, that's when they tell you it's on back order.
I'm going to phone Red Rocket and ask them about a part for my Scimitar and if they have, I would like to thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
I know that Horizon Hobby is the N. American distributor for all things Eflite and their site lists certain parts as backordered and this has been the case since the beginning of time. If Red Rocket has it then they got it from Horizon.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Today, I reached the breaking point. I was so sick of pretending that this beast could actually land on a runway (like a civilized aircraft), that I just took the wheels off and hand-launched it. I was surprised at how easily it took to the air (at half throttle). Landings were a bit rough, but not as bad as the dragging and scraping that it suffered with each clumsy runway landing. it even flew much better without the wheels.
Can we get a video of a Scimitar hand launch?
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I'm a bit suspect. Have you actually contacted them to see if they have stock? Some shops will allow you to put something in the "cart" and when you check out and pay, that's when they tell you it's on back order.
I'm going to phone Red Rocket and ask them about a part for my Scimitar and if they have, I would like to thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
I know that Horizon Hobby is the N. American distributor for all things Eflite and their site lists certain parts as backordered and this has been the case since the beginning of time. If Red Rocket has it then they got it from Horizon.
I just phoned them. They do NOT have the nose cone or the fuselage in stock. Just as I suspected, if Horizon Hobby's site shows it back ordered, then no one will have it in stock either. Red Rocket simply doesn't indicate on their website whether something is in stock or not. That source is a bust.
There's no point in even looking anywhere else. Horizon will get it first before anyone gets theirs. Horizon has already admitted that getting stock on certain items is not a high priority and they have already issued an official apology to their dealer network about this. In the same memo, they have also stated to NOT hold your breath. They don't have a clue when anything will be in stock.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
2 scimitars are currently listed for sale, 1 of the sellers should part it out

I'll take the stock motor and ESC

Need to get mines back in the air

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747