HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,001 Posts
I'm using a 4500 mah battery. The stock 3200 goes into my Vampire.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:23 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Taking off of gravel

I haven't been paying attention to my Scimitar since I got it because of my gravel runway. Everyone who tried to take off of gravel knows that their props will last less than 1.2 seconds. I want to fix that. My first mod for prop clearance is listed in one of my earlier posts. It included adding a wheelie bar on to the bottom of the fin. My next mod will be wheel pants. I'll try to mod them so they will block the gravel thrown by the wheels on rollout. Do you guys have any ideas?
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,001 Posts
I don't take off on gravel anymore, only from mowed grass. Still get the odd nick in the prop.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of mowed grass.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, MI, Taymouth
Joined Oct 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Gents...I am really struggling with this plane. I have been flying since 1979, and have good experience in EDF Jets...but this is a first for me. Plane is stock with retracts and CG per manual.

My issue is on takeoff, I fly of a relatively smooth grass field, but the plane invariably hits a small bump and jumps into the air only to slam nose first back on the runway. I have experimented with holding down elevator to try to keep the nose on the deck till I am ready to get airborne, but today that made the situation worse and the plane bounced up and came down harder as it happened so quick before I could revert to up elevator.

Is a better solution to hold full up elevator and punch the throttle. My concern is that it may get airborne before enough speed has been built up and stall?

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wes
Shove your battery as far forward as you can get it.
foundryratjim is offline Find More Posts by foundryratjim
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:50 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2008
18 Posts
I did the maiden flight with my Scimitar today. The first take off was a little hairy as I had too much "reflex" and when it hit a bump, it was airborn in less than 20 feet and not realy flying. I put it back down with no damage and turned around for another take off (after checking that everything was still attached).
The 2nd take off was much smoother and it flew great. It's not super fast, but I have a turbine for when I want to go fast (plus I love the smell of kero). Due to my stupidity, I forgot my batttery charge lead and could only do 2 flights. I am using the same 3300mah Turnigy's from my habu's. I have the retracts and if they are like the Habu, then they will last when flying from our club grass field. It's not smooth, but at least there are no rocks..LOL

Having flown Delta's previously, the landings were a piece of cake. I had a cross wind to deal with and it came in perfectly, carrier landing style, no bounce and not slammed. I am so glad to have another delta in my hangar again. I didn't have a chance to play with the trust vectoring, but I have a batch of batteries charged for tomorrow.

I will mod it later this year, or over the winter. For now I just want to fly it stock.

Brent
slamdance64 is offline Find More Posts by slamdance64
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:48 AM
Let's get low, let's get fast.
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Dec 2009
311 Posts
I think I just picked up a Scimitar in a trade. I've been reading over this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts as to running two 2S Turnigy batts in series with a harness? Comparing the weights, it looks like that would be a little bit lighter, and would make each "complete" 4S battery about half the price....
kilgore_trout is offline Find More Posts by kilgore_trout
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
I think I just picked up a Scimitar in a trade. I've been reading over this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts as to running two 2S Turnigy batts in series with a harness? Comparing the weights, it looks like that would be a little bit lighter, and would make each "complete" 4S battery about half the price....
Although that would work if there's enough room, being lighter would actually be a disadvantage as it would make the plane even more tail heavy.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
100 Posts
Foam blistering inside canopy

I got my Scimitar over the winter and flew it in the cold without issues. However once spring rolled around and I flew it on our first 70 degree day I found that the foam inside of the canopy had swelled up and it looked blistered. I bought a replacement canopy and it did the same thing within minutes of being left out on a sunny day. I called HH and emailed them photos, they claim to have never heard of the problem and have since sent me two new canopy's. The third one did the same thing so I kept the 4th as the shop canopy that doesn't look diseased and figured I'd fly with one of the other ones. Sure enough I forgot to swap canopies today and took the good one to the field. In the 10 minutes it took me to fly my heli I came back and found the 4th canopy had swelled up as well. I live in VT so it's not like we are talking about high temps here, this happens in 70-80 degree weather.....am I the only person this is happening to? I'll see if I can find a pic to attach here.
supertoyz is online now Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
LOL Consider yourself lucky they sent you extra canopies
And did not ask you to send yours in for "inspection"

Samething happened to my canopy
Figured either the heat from the sun, or lipo
Or combination of both

No problem

Have Fun

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
LOL Consider yourself lucky they sent you extra canopies
And did not ask you to send yours in for "inspection"

Samething happened to my canopy
Figured either the heat from the sun, or lipo
Or combination of both

No problem

Have Fun

FCA
One trick I picked up from another thread regarding this issue (common with foamy's left in the sun--the air inside the canopy gets magnified/super heated and swells the foam)--put a pin-hole in the canopy so the super heated air can escape. Also--put a towel/sheet over your canopy if you cannot keep it in the shade. This is an issue with all foamy's left in the sun.
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
One trick I picked up from another thread regarding this issue (common with foamy's left in the sun--the air inside the canopy gets magnified/super heated and swells the foam)--put a pin-hole in the canopy so the super heated air can escape. Also--put a towel/sheet over your canopy if you cannot keep it in the shade. This is an issue with all foamy's left in the sun.
Not in VT it's not, just about all of my planes are foamy's and this is the only one that does it. I've got a Sebart Mig 29 that has all black under the canopy and it doesn't do it. Habu doesn't do it, P51 doesn't either. I could see this happening when it's really hot out but this is happening when it's barely in the 70's. I was going to try putting in a hole to vent it but wasn't sure if a little hole would vent enough hot air to make a difference.
supertoyz is online now Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
I got my Scimitar over the winter and flew it in the cold without issues. However once spring rolled around and I flew it on our first 70 degree day I found that the foam inside of the canopy had swelled up and it looked blistered. I bought a replacement canopy and it did the same thing within minutes of being left out on a sunny day. I called HH and emailed them photos, they claim to have never heard of the problem and have since sent me two new canopy's. The third one did the same thing so I kept the 4th as the shop canopy that doesn't look diseased and figured I'd fly with one of the other ones. Sure enough I forgot to swap canopies today and took the good one to the field. In the 10 minutes it took me to fly my heli I came back and found the 4th canopy had swelled up as well. I live in VT so it's not like we are talking about high temps here, this happens in 70-80 degree weather.....am I the only person this is happening to? I'll see if I can find a pic to attach here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
Not in VT it's not, just about all of my planes are foamy's and this is the only one that does it. I've got a Sebart Mig 29 that has all black under the canopy and it doesn't do it. Habu doesn't do it, P51 doesn't either. I could see this happening when it's really hot out but this is happening when it's barely in the 70's. I was going to try putting in a hole to vent it but wasn't sure if a little hole would vent enough hot air to make a difference.
I have never seen this with my foamies either, I had my stryker out in direct sun light today and no signs of any weirdness. Perhaps the cz scimitar uses a different formula for the foam?....... not sure, i dont own one of these yet, the mixed reviews are kind of turning me off. Other then the foam blistering, how do you like the plane?
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I was excited when this plane was announced
Flies great, not fast, took the T/V unit out figured it would only get me in trouble,
Landings are hot and fast

Need to do long approaches to bleed off speed, my primary flying site does not allow this

As with the Yak, hinges needs to be reinforced, I used extra ca and tape
Paint flakes off easily

Planning on installing larger tires for prop clearance

Have several strykers both F27C & Q models, also several FunJets

With that being said, when I crash this one I probably won't get a replacement

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:26 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Correction--this is an issue with "some" foamy's left in the sun...
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205