HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
78 Posts
Xviper you are a star! thank you so much for the help mate and happy flying!
monkiee is offline Find More Posts by monkiee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:36 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Finally got my motor replaced!

So in the last week I did a few mods: Installed a CC BEC, installed retracts, installed 5 HS5085MG's, picked up the optional 4000mah battery pack, put packing tape on the rudders, separated both rudder servos and the steering servo into different ports on the receiver, programmed speed brakes, (I'm using an AR9020 with a Dx18) programmed the steering servo to not move when retracted, limited the steering travel a bit as for it to not bind, (rudders still have maximum travel) and added an axle into the bottom of the tail fin with two wheels on either side. This gives me about 7 millimeters of extra prop clearance and provides a much smoother taxi, takeoff, landing, etc. I also did not lose much of the maximum angle of attack.

After programming all of the mixes, I was kinda surprised to see that I used 9 of them But now I don't have to worry about any harnesses coming loose in the servo lead causing a failure.

Any feedback would be cool
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Last edited by BigEast; Jun 07, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:32 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
How did you manage to fit the 5085MGs did you trim the servo tabs, or mounting plate?

Post pic if you can of the 5085 mounted

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
I'll post some pics as soon as I can FCA.

Just headed out of town.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Ok for those of you who plan on installing HS5085MG servos in the wing

You will have to trim the ridge on the servo tab, and modify the servo tray, by removing material from the inner walls of the tray, no way is the HS5085 gonna fit without doing this

I actually removed both servo trays, and am modifying them right now

I'll post pics later

FCA

I also ended up cutting a little bit off of the front of the plate, so the servo arms I am using would have proper clearance
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Last edited by FLAME747; Jun 09, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
Maiden of my stock set up went as well as one could expect. I flew mine at my club field with about 20 guys all stopping to see it go. With all the years of big heli and 6 cell EDF flying you would think the knee knock would be low. Nope

I took off into 8-10 mph winds on the short grass. No problem with clearance for the prop of issues with bumps causing prop strikes. Our field a close town dump cap so its not perfect. Fears of tearing up the plane before leaving the ground were not realized.

Once airborne with a normal 50 feet of roll I had my hands full. The elevator needed up trim. I had my 4000 nano pack fully forward and I think the cg at the forward setting may be at work here causing the nose heavy feel. Once trimmed I was able to raise the retracts. This had the plane fly straight and true.

It wasn't super fast but it is fast. First flight I never turned on the VT. Landing was uneventful. I gave her a lot of room on the final based on feedback here. It does need to bleed off speed but it does slow way down and I had a gentle landing with no bounce. I think the headwind helped slow things down.

Next flight was more fun with the VT turned on and I got the plane into the boomerang. Another easy landing. Pretty great design and not just another plane that does the same thing as the rest of the fleet.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Nice pics FCA, I did the same

Before I try out the speed brakes, have any of you? lol, I don't know how it's going to work out, and if they will be suitable for landing. Also have to experiment with elevator comp. Next few days should be fun!!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
i like the idea of the wheel on the middle fin, i will be looking into this. i have given up the the TV servo, mine is removed and will stay so after 3 crashes due to servo jamming. keep a close eye on that 26g MG eflite servo, it starts making noises then it ll start sticking
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Hey jbug, I'll post the part numbers I used to accomplish the "fin wheel" when I get home. Note: a dremel will be required!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Just got mine....looking forward to the maiden
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Just got mine....looking forward to the maiden
good luck with that... i found i had to put the 3300 battery all the way forward and still a tad nose heavy. be sure to slow it way down when you land, im talkin bleed off ALL your airspeed before you touchdown or it will bounce right back up into the air and come down hard
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
good luck with that... i found i had to put the 3300 battery all the way forward and still a tad nose heavy. be sure to slow it way down when you land, im talkin bleed off ALL your airspeed before you touchdown or it will bounce right back up into the air and come down hard
After three successful smooth landings on my Scimitar I had the dreaded bounce on landing. The retracts bent backwards as I stalled post bounce and landed hard. At least they didn't pull out. I was coming in hotter than previous landings but it looked smooth. I was surprised as the bounce and how high it went and how quickly it stalled back onto the mains. It wasn't pretty.

I also have had issues with taking off the ground and suddenly pitching up too much and then over-correcting almost putting it into the ground. I may adjust the downloaded settings on my DX8 for the model. I don't know if its more expo or less. Sometimes too much expo puts the steep curve right where I have want the stick. I never use expo on my heli's and only use it on my larger built up 3D planes that have silly travel on the controls.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Thanks for the advice...I was planning to use the technique detailed a while ago in a post...to get it to about 5 to 10 feet...cut throttle, and then use elevator to slow and land on mains. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCflyerCT View Post
Thanks for the advice...I was planning to use the technique detailed a while ago in a post...to get it to about 5 to 10 feet...cut throttle, and then use elevator to slow and land on mains. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Wes
I think you will be still flying to fast for landing. Better start bleeding off speed around 20 feet or so. This is what I am doing.
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:27 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
agreed, i give it like 1/3 throttle on my base leg... compensating as neccesary to maintain altitude in my turn. but as soon as i hit final im almost power off, just working the throttle enough to keep my rate of descent.