HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:41 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Does anybody use flaperons or spoilerons on the Scimitar? I know that I have mentioned this a few times, but I am still concerned about the difficulty in landing this bird. With my Stryker Q, I programmed some rudder airbrakes that really slow it down before landing. Is this at all possible with the Scimitar?
Mine seemed to want to jump up at any little bump on landing. Thought I would be smart and set some flaps to turn on as soon as I hit the ground. Maybe I was a little too smart for myself... or maybe it was too much down (I used 20%) but the result was at landing I hit the switch and the plane immediately went up on its nose and over. I think the presure built between the ground and wing and just lifted it up way too fast. Since then I have just put slightl down elevon when I hit the ground.. A little awkward but after a few times I seem to have master it and landings are fine..even when I happen to be a little hot coming in. It works for me.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
Does anybody use flaperons or spoilerons on the Scimitar? I know that I have mentioned this a few times, but I am still concerned about the difficulty in landing this bird. With my Stryker Q, I programmed some rudder airbrakes that really slow it down before landing. Is this at all possible with the Scimitar?
Mine seemed to want to jump up at any little bump on landing. Thought I would be smart and set some flaps to turn on as soon as I hit the ground. Maybe I was a little too smart for myself... or maybe it was too much down (I used 20%) but the result was at landing I hit the switch and the plane immediately went up on its nose and over. I think the presure built between the ground and wing and just lifted it up way too fast. Since then I have just put slightl down elevon when I hit the ground.. A little awkward but after a few times I seem to have master it and landings are fine..even when I happen to be a little hot coming in. It works for me.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,921 Posts
For a flying wing, do not use flaperons or spoilerons. This is just a pitch input and does not work the same as a plane with a tail. Rudder brakes might work to slow it down, but I do not know how effective they would be.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcessna View Post

On a wing you can't really use flaps because doing so is the same thing as adding elevator input. On a conventional plane you can use flaps and counteract the effects of the ailerons going down by mixing in elevator.

I am a little intrigued by the idea of using the rudders as a sort of speed brake though. As long as they're both trimmed properly and giving exactly the same amount of deflection, I don't know why it wouldn't work.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins View Post

I am a little intrigued by the idea of using the rudders as a sort of speed brake though. As long as they're both trimmed properly and giving exactly the same amount of deflection, I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Opposing rudders will work well as speed brakes without introducing any unwanted pitch command, however, this would be only for approach. Once the speed bleeds off after touch down, I doubt you will see a difference.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
Opposing rudders will work well as speed brakes without introducing any unwanted pitch command, however, this would be only for approach. Once the speed bleeds off after touch down, I doubt you will see a difference.

Tom
It works good with the Stryker. If you use it would be a good idea to setup so you can not activate the speed breaks with the vectored thrust still on.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
Locked and Loaded
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Feb 2011
74 Posts
Lighting options

I have a Stryker that has over 300 LEDs on it. Has anyone seen this plane with lights or is it even an option?
warbirdfan1 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan1
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Jun 2008
367 Posts
Just installed a 770kv power 32 with a 100 amp esc and bought various props to test this weekend. I'll be using 5s/6s and push the motor past it's peak
hi2nr is online now Find More Posts by hi2nr
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2nr View Post
Just installed a 770kv power 32 with a 100 amp esc and bought various props to test this weekend. I'll be using 5s/6s and push the motor past it's peak
sounds interesting. good luck with it.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have a couple of quick questions.

Did you use the stock mount, or did you have to come up with something else?

How is the prop clearance with the rudders and the ground?

Seperate BEC?

Thrust vectoring still working, or did you have to sacrifice it?

Please keep us all posted. It's warming up and I'd like my Scimitar to speed up.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2008
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins View Post
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have a couple of quick questions.

Did you use the stock mount, or did you have to come up with something else?

How is the prop clearance with the rudders and the ground?

Seperate BEC?

Thrust vectoring still working, or did you have to sacrifice it?

Please keep us all posted. It's warming up and I'd like my Scimitar to speed up.
Stock motor mount
Cut down props so all of my props are around 9x8 thru 10 and 10x8 thru 10 and should clear no problem
10amp BEC
VT still works

Ill have a radar gun ready as well lol, if this doesn't yield any good results I'll be using a DF motor and a tiny 6" prop or so next week lol
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Stock motor mount
Cut down props so all of my props are around 9x8 thru 10 and 10x8 thru 10 and should clear no problem
10amp BEC
VT still works

Ill have a radar gun ready as well lol, if this doesn't yield any good results I'll be using a DF motor and a tiny 6" prop or so next week lol
Great lets race em" i have stock motor,9x8 cut down apc,and 5s 3300..
with retracks up flat and level 110-112 mph..
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:15 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
Using dirty/crude/shooting from the hip calculations puts dbgood's 5S at higher power level than the 770 KV on 6S-2750 (roughly equal battery weight as 5S-3300)

Unless the 6S is a good deal bigger 6S to even things out, .......or to have more power 7S if the prop size does not become too small (for given airframe drag) to control the AMPs.

The 770 KV testing on 5S/6S is a very valuable test and will do this thread a lot of good.
Thank you hi2nr.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Scimitar 5s

I was flying my Scimitar this afternoon,5s,stock motor,
apc 9x8 cut down prop,ICE 100.As i was taking off full throttle
the motor cut out as soon as it lifted from the grass,went into a high bank turn,(full throttle),it cut out again,so i had to lower the throttle all the way down
to get it to spool up again,scary!!
So i flew it for another 2min,just half throttle,then landed it and the speed controller was beeping alot.So just checked out the datalogging ,and it says
Max amps,149.6 watts...WOW!!
Max watts,2459 ...WOW!!
Reason why full throttle it was cutting out!
This is the first time this has ever happened,max amps before were 89
and watts 1549 on datalogging...
I did not touch a thing same 9x8 apc cut down Prop,ICE 100....
14 flight on 5s,now this happens..
Maybe the ICE 100 is acting up...have to check things out..
Dan
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Using dirty/crude/shooting from the hip calculations puts dbgood's 5S at higher power level than the 770 KV on 6S-2750 (roughly equal battery weight as 5S-3300)

Unless the 6S is a good deal bigger 6S to even things out, .......or to have more power 7S if the prop size does not become too small (for given airframe drag) to control the AMPs.

The 770 KV testing on 5S/6S is a very valuable test and will do this thread a lot of good.
Thank you hi2nr.

Gryphon
I think the 770 could have decent results given the results posted on their website. The motor was able to turn a 10x10 prop around the 70amp range on 5s I believe, therefore I think it might be on par with a stock motor on 5s except more efficient. Taking a 9x8 prop compared to a 10x10 prop but I'll be able to find out tmrw!